Baited bear

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wrong. You can shoot bear over bait in maine.
Feeders, food plots, and salt licks are legal here in Arkansas as well except on public lands.

Private land, you can pretty much do whatever you feel like within reason.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wrong. You can shoot bear over bait in maine.
No they arent vague at all, you guys just dont know how to read i guess and dont want to believe the guy who lives in Maine i guess. Wolfman was Just in such a rush to prove me wrong for some reason that those important details were overlooked by him.
I didn't just make up the quoted law.

There is no need to be rude when someone proves you wrong.
I do know how to read, do you?

Bait
Bait may be placed up to 30 days prior to opening day of the bear bait hunting season and no later than October 31. Bait areas must be cleaned up by November 10. Bait can be used to assist dog hunters and trappers, but it is illegal to shoot a bear over bait after the close of the bait season.

Hunting with the use of bait is defined as hunting from an observation stand, blind, or other location that overlooks any bait or food, except standing crops and foods that have been left as a result of normal agricultural operations or natural occurrence.

Bear bait means any animal, plant, or derivative thereof, used to attract bear. This does not include packaging or container materials that fall within the definition of litter under Title 17, §2263.

A person may not place any medicinal, poisonous, or stupefying substance to entice any animal, including bear.

Bait may not be placed to entice, hunt or trap black bear unless:

• The bait is placed at least 50 yards from any travel way that is accessible by a conventional 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive vehicle
  • The observation stand, blind, or bait area is plainly labeled with a 2 inch by 4 inch tag with the name and address of the baiter
  • The bait is placed more than 500 yards from any solid waste disposal site or campground
  • The bait is placed more than 500 yards from an occupied dwelling, unless written permission is granted by the owner or tenant
  • The person hunting from another person's stand or blind has the owner's permission.
  • The person placing bait on another person's land has the landowner's permission (oral or in writing).
  • If placing bait on a wildlife management area, you need to secure a permit from MDIFW. To apply for a bear baiting permit, contact the wildlife biologist in your administrative region.
  • If placing bait on Public Reserved Land, you need to secure a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands (for info, call 207-287-3821).
Baiting of animals is prohibited in State Parks and Historic Sites.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I didn't just make up the quoted law.

Bait
Bait may be placed up to 30 days prior to opening day of the bear bait hunting season and no later than October 31. Bait areas must be cleaned up by November 10. Bait can be used to assist dog hunters and trappers, but it is illegal to shoot a bear over bait after the close of the bait season.

Hunting with the use of bait is defined as hunting from an observation stand, blind, or other location that overlooks any bait or food, except standing crops and foods that have been left as a result of normal agricultural operations or natural occurrence.

Bear bait means any animal, plant, or derivative thereof, used to attract bear. This does not include packaging or container materials that fall within the definition of litter under Title 17, §2263.

A person may not place any medicinal, poisonous, or stupefying substance to entice any animal, including bear.

Bait may not be placed to entice, hunt or trap black bear unless:

• The bait is placed at least 50 yards from any travel way that is accessible by a conventional 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive vehicle
  • The observation stand, blind, or bait area is plainly labeled with a 2 inch by 4 inch tag with the name and address of the baiter
  • The bait is placed more than 500 yards from any solid waste disposal site or campground
  • The bait is placed more than 500 yards from an occupied dwelling, unless written permission is granted by the owner or tenant
  • The person hunting from another person's stand or blind has the owner's permission.
  • The person placing bait on another person's land has the landowner's permission (oral or in writing).
  • If placing bait on a wildlife management area, you need to secure a permit from MDIFW. To apply for a bear baiting permit, contact the wildlife biologist in your administrative region.
  • If placing bait on Public Reserved Land, you need to secure a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands (for info, call 207-287-3821).
Baiting of animals is prohibited in State Parks and Historic Sites.
I guess i better go tell my maine guide friends and avid bear hunters what that WOLFMAN says....

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
The laws you posted dont ban hunting bear over bear bait like you say is illegal. So not sure why you are keeping up this incorrect interpretation of Maine law. ....or why you even bothered to look it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Tractor folks, I love you all. You are great. I am always amazed at the mechanical/technical genius on this site…truly. I really don’t care what any of us is for or against…honestly it’s a personal choice (at least it is to me), but I wonder for any of us that are against baiting or whatever, how they really handle it when it’s close to home and I am not distinguishing ethical or not (breaking law is breaking law…but let’s be honest when we look at who makes the laws and why they were made)…but generally…honestly it is what it is…but look in the mirror and be honest…is it ok if it’s a mouse in your house? A carpenter bee in your sophet how about a fish? You think the pigs meat at the store wasn’t baited? When is ok to bait a fish? How about when the when Uncle Sam used DDT and blamed hunters for lead? Or is it when it important to you or the way you may think you have a way to justify it. I wonder where everyone gets the authority or thought to judge their neighbor…that’s all. Must be nice to live in a glass house. That’s what the clowns who make the laws do…I suspect some of them have done far worse. Just remember some people hunt and trap by all methods for a variety of reasons (could be tradition, hunger, could be vanity ) but mainly because it is fun and it tastes good. There are those who do things some of may not agree with…could be illegal for that matter…either way I am not sure that the food at the store is fair chase either…there is a bit of baiting going on there too…just it was not deemed illegal (although I guess in some places maybe you have a dress code or some other bullshit to go shopping)…either way grocery store really isn’t fair chase.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Feeders, food plots, and salt licks are legal here in Arkansas as well except on public lands.

Private land, you can pretty much do whatever you feel like within reason.
I think on private land here in Maine you must still follow all the hunting laws.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The laws you posted dont ban hunting bear over bear bait like you say is illegal. So not sure why you are keeping up this incorrect interpretation of Maine law. ....or why you even bothered to look it up.
"but it is illegal to shoot a bear over bait after the close of the bait season."

Well then I guess Maine Interprets their laws in an odd way, because this statement tells me it's illegal.
Your safe from me moving there Motion Clone, It's all yours.
Any state that bans wolves doesn't deserve to be lived in!

• Haha

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Practice what you preach buddy. You went WAYYYYYYYYYYY out of your way researching, cutting and pasting Maine laws that dont actually prove your point.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Practice what you preach buddy. You went WAYYYYYYYYYYY out of your way researching, cutting and pasting Maine laws that dont actually prove your point.
Your just being rude!
I don't think any of us deserve it!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
How am I being rude?
All I did was point out your own state laws..

FYI: Call me Buddy or Pal one more time and I'll show you rude!
You went out of your way to research maine laws and post them to try and prove me wrong...but IM NOT WRONG. hunting over bear bait is LEGAL in MAine Now youre bent instead of just appologizing and saying you were wrong.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
How am I being rude?
All I did was point out your own state laws..

FYI: Call me Buddy or Pal one more time and I'll show you rude!
Now youre threatening me? Reported

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You went out of your way to research maine laws and post them to try and prove me wrong...but IM NOT WRONG. hunting over bear bait is LEGAL in MAine Now youre bent instead of just appologizing and saying you were wrong.
So what your telling me is MAINE Fisheries and wildlife management is lying to all of us?
Yes I tend to lok up anything that anyone says that I don't think is right.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
So what your telling me is MAINE Fisheries and wildlife management is lying to all of us?
Yes I tend to lok up anything that anyone says that I don't think is right.
No they are not lieing. You dont know how to read the law. I think the real issue is you dont undertsand what youre talking about

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No they are not lieing. You dont know how to read the law. I think the real issue is you dont undertsand what youre talking about
Ok, so now your saying I don't know how to read?
Interesting