Backhoe Dolly Failure. Is your dolly wood or metal?

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I’ve not used my backhoe in a year or more and the wooden backhoe dolly has collapsed on one caster.
I guess the wood isn’t strong enough, one caster collapsed. Time to rebuild.
Curious about member experience with wood or metal dollies?
I was able to get the backhoe onto my tractor with a floor jack, but if two had failed I’d have been scr##ed!
Obscure B7100 attachment so this is a one off build. How should I proceed ?

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
can you bolt a 2by6(?) above the caster,at right angles to the lower 2 ?
if not maybe good plate of steel to distribute the weight ?
one of those have to be there to see it to decide what's best.......

Reactions: 1 user

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Interesting....Has the opposite side suffered the same fate? The support plate idea is a VG suggestion, perhaps the best way to go. Another thing; in using two side-by-side boards it seems that you forced the attachment plate of the caster to perform 'double duty', both caster attachment point & board connector. If the caster is not damaged, perhaps the existing boards just need additional support with one of the ideas suggested above by GJ.

Do you think the failure had anything to do with your personal disconnect technique? If so let us know so we'll understand what to look for during our own disconnect attempts. :)

Any estimate of the approximate weight of that BH? I've estimated the approximate weight of my BH70 @750 lbs, as an example.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I would put a steel plate, channel or angle under the boards to distribute the weight all the way across.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I use a dolly made of steel tube and 8" locking steel swivel casters.
Yup......
Steel is the way to go, though my BH has never been off, and likely never will be.

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
This is what I put together for my B2620.
New Movie (2).Movie_Snapshot.jpg
New Movie.Movie_Snapshot.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Interesting....Has the opposite side suffered the same fate? The support plate idea is a VG suggestion, perhaps the best way to go. Another thing; in using two side-by-side boards it seems that you forced the attachment plate of the caster to perform 'double duty', both caster attachment point & board connector. If the caster is not damaged, perhaps the existing boards just need additional support with one of the ideas suggested above by GJ.

Do you think the failure had anything to do with your personal disconnect technique? If so let us know so we'll understand what to look for during our own disconnect attempts. :)

Any estimate of the approximate weight of that BH? I've estimated the approximate weight of my BH70 @750 lbs, as an example.
I think you have it right, I relied on the caster plate to hold the two boards together. Likely I need a backer on the top as well. I like the idea of metal and may spend a weekend welding soon.
Good question about the other casters - they are all fine. My lean-to tractor shelter has a slanted floor for water run off. That twisted caster was on the downhill side and may get more pressure as well.
Now that I have the backhoe on the tractor again I will rebuild the dolly.
Marrmanu- I like your design. Please tell me more about your casters 😊

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
Please tell me more about your casters 😊
[/QUOTE]

5" rubber, here are some other pic's, I made the bucket plate bigger because it had a tendency to slip off the back :(

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I’ve not used my backhoe in a year or more and the wooden backhoe dolly has collapsed on one caster.
I was able to get the backhoe onto my tractor with a floor jack, but if two had failed I’d have been scr##ed!
I posted my BH77 Backhoe Dolly for you. It's made from some steel square tubing so it's pretty rugged.
It might be a little "overkill" but there's no need to worry about the dolly failing under the backhoe's weight.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

To me, it appears that splitting up the bolts between 2 pieces of wood is the culprit. I think you need to use wider boards so that the castor holes are all on the same board.
20230503_151854[1].jpg
20230503_151845[1].jpg

I sammiched two 2x6's using construction adhesive and used those 6 inch casters from Horror Freight.

A word of caution about using those 6" casters though. Mine rolls so easy that I have to 'chock' it to prevent it from rolling away on accident. When I was at HF the other day I could not find the 6 inchers with a locking bar on them.

Reactions: 3 users

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
A suggestion for any wood supporting the weight of a backhoe would be far stronger used on edge rather than flat. It appears the caster bolts are near the edge of 2x in both directions and wood grain will split pretty quickly lying flat. I built my wooden dolly out of two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together and used it on edge.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I picked up two $9.99 furniture dollys (4 wheels on a square) at HF, two pieces of 2x4, and screwed an old piece of used OSB, in the semi triangle shape of the back hoe. Works just fine for 8 years
IMG_2704.png

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
wood and plastic for me...been using them since 2006.

backhoe resting.JPG