Back to HST problum

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
As I understand it, he's having issues going up a moderate grade with no load in low gear. And it's been getting worse.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If torch has sorted the previous posts out right.... then for sure I'd drain ALL the HST oil and toss 100% Kubota UDT into it, as well as change the filter(s).

Had a JD rider ,same issue (can't climb moderate grade) so I followed the MFR(tufftork) words of wisdom. machine ran PERECTLY after that.In my case(like 100s of others..) running the machine with wrong and/or low oil 'burns out' the HST guts....pistons and stuff...

If this doesn't fix the problem, you've at least eliminated 'bad HST oil' from the list...

Reactions: 1 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
As I understand it, he's having issues going up a moderate grade with no load in low gear. And it's been getting worse.
It is high gear / operating in low range no problum / mid range start getting noticable

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
If torch has sorted the previous posts out right.... then for sure I'd drain ALL the HST oil and toss 100% Kubota UDT into it, as well as change the filter(s).

Had a JD rider ,same issue (can't climb moderate grade) so I followed the MFR(tufftork) words of wisdom. machine ran PERECTLY after that.In my case(like 100s of others..) running the machine with wrong and/or low oil 'burns out' the HST guts....pistons and stuff...

If this doesn't fix the problem, you've at least eliminated 'bad HST oil' from the list...
cant get in a shop any time soon all filled with work / what a another 200 bucks at this point will change oil & filters ( will post results hope there good ) THANKS ALL FOR YOUR INPUT & IDEAS WITH MY PROBLUM

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It is high gear / operating in low range no problum / mid range start getting noticable
Back on page 2 you said "all ranges and Reverse". Now I'm confused.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Back on page 2 you said "all ranges and Reverse". Now I'm confused.
It is in all ranges / extrems in high on slight incline to the point it would stall / mid range same incline will bog eng, down to 900 to 1000 rpms / low down 1900-2000 / starting at full rpm 2800 sorry if i have not made this clear before /also low range no smoke that i can notice / smoke in mid / more smoke in high

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Black, blue or white smoke?

You went over the intake system and air filter, right? No mouse nests hidden in there anywhere?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It is in all ranges / extrems in high on slight incline to the point it would stall / mid range same incline will bog eng, down to 900 to 1000 rpms / low down 1900-2000 / starting at full rpm 2800 sorry if i have not made this clear before /also low range no smoke that i can notice / smoke in mid / more smoke in high
Can you see why people are confused?

• Wow

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Can you see why people are confused?
Yes Ser / i also have started to wright stuff down ( you know that C.R.S. thing ) To have for the dealer mechanic / Tests & results / things checked ,repaired or replaced

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Hi ferguson, I just wanted to add that the L3130 was the lowest horsepower of the Grand L models Kubota offered when it was new and many buyers - including me - went with more power because the ones with about 30 hp were pretty heavy for the power they had, especially when they had HST, a loader, maybe liquid in the tires and something heavy in back. A setup like that would easily end up weighing 5,000 - 6,000 pounds, and that can be a lot for a 30 hp tractor.

So your L3130 is probably never going to have much spare horsepower and it will really work hard going up hills or running a big cutter in heavy mowing.

I don't know if your tractor has additional problems or if it is just underpowered for what you need to do. Can't improve on the suggestions of others but It sounds like you do have some pretty hard work for this tractor.

Best of luck getting it figured out.

Reactions: 1 user

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Hi ferguson, I just wanted to add that the L3130 was the lowest horsepower of the Grand L models Kubota offered when it was new and many buyers - including me - went with more power because the ones with about 30 hp were pretty heavy for the power they had, especially when they had HST, a loader, maybe liquid in the tires and something heavy in back. A setup like that would easily end up weighing 5,000 - 6,000 pounds, and that can be a lot for a 30 hp tractor.

So your L3130 is probably never going to have much spare horsepower and it will really work hard going up hills or running a big cutter in heavy mowing.

I don't know if your tractor has additional problems or if it is just underpowered for what you need to do. Can't improve on the suggestions of others but It sounds like you do have some pretty hard work for this tractor.

Best of luck getting it figured out.
I understand there not a big hp unit / My isue is that this problum has stedely increased in the 40 hrs i have owned the tractor /went from seems like its getting little slugesh to holey s>>t it will stall out / this is just going down the to my sons house / did the complete fluid change & filters in the middle/ got tractor at 980hrs serv, 1000 now 1020 hrs

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The more I hear about this, the more I suspect the hydraulic fluid used.

Maybe that’s the binding Fordtech86 originally suspected. Could it be happening in the HST itself, thus causing the black smoke??

I wouldn’t use that fluid in my HST tractor, for fear of similar results.

Seems like the problem started with the fluid change when Ferguson got the tractor?

No idea if I’m right. Just a guess. I know some will say don’t worry about it

Ferguson- I hope you find the problem, and my best wishes in getting it fixed. It looks like you’ve done a great job trying to figure it out. 👍👍

Last edited:

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
The more I hear about this, the more I suspect the hydraulic fluid used.

Maybe that’s the binding Fordtech86 originally suspected. Could it be happening in the HST itself, thus causing the black smoke??

I wouldn’t use that fluid in my HST tractor, for fear of similar results.

Seems like the problem started with the fluid change when Ferguson got the tractor?

No idea if I’m right. Just a guess. I know some will say don’t worry about it

Ferguson- I hope you find the problem, and my best wishes in getting it fixed. It looks like you’ve done a great job trying to figure it out. 👍👍
It started befor the change

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Ok Guess there no need to waste Kubota udt oil ( after 23 hrs from fluid & filter change ) IMG2601 off the Magnet / Img2602 filter element

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, while the oil may be 'clean' ,it could be the wrong 'type' of oil for that tractor !
JD speced SAE30 for a series of 'riders', and yes, it 'worked' BUT the MFR of the HST said to use SYNTHETIC, 20W50(?). If you caught the HST in time,totally cleaned it,used the CORRECT oil, you saved the HST..otherwise it was a slow death ('can't get up hill' syndrome...)

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
hmm, while the oil may be 'clean' ,it could be the wrong 'type' of oil for that tractor !
JD speced SAE30 for a series of 'riders', and yes, it 'worked' BUT the MFR of the HST said to use SYNTHETIC, 20W50(?). If you caught the HST in time,totally cleaned it,used the CORRECT oil, you saved the HST..otherwise it was a slow death ('can't get up hill' syndrome...)
fluid from tractor suply ultra J20A plus / don't know what was in it befor

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Removed other filter clean a