Back Blade for snow removal with horse mat

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
This will be our second winter at our current house with a pretty long drive made of asphalt millings. Last year I added skid shoes to the blade to keep it up off the drive. However when setting the rear blade at an angle the skid shoes take that same angle as well and dug in substantially into the driveway. I also used a small snowblower on our concrete pad as to not scrape up the concrete with the rear blade and shoes. This year I added a horse mat strip from TSC as many have used to keep from scraping up the pad. I am curious if anyone has suggestions on possibly a wheel set up similar to what is used on landscape rakes to keep it just above the grade. I am not great at fabrication, welding, etc. so something that could be attached at the bolts for the blade would be great. I may just have to float it manually as I go, which isn't the end of the world, but I wanted to see if anyone else had some other ideas.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I attached some pictures of the driveway and blade. Our turn around is at a fairly steep grade on the one side so that makes moving snow a little difficult while turning, but not impossible.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
This will be our second winter at our current house with a pretty long drive made of asphalt millings. Last year I added skid shoes to the blade to keep it up off the drive. However when setting the rear blade at an angle the skid shoes take that same angle as well and dug in substantially into the driveway. I also used a small snowblower on our concrete pad as to not scrape up the concrete with the rear blade and shoes. This year I added a horse mat strip from TSC as many have used to keep from scraping up the pad. I am curious if anyone has suggestions on possibly a wheel set up similar to what is used on landscape rakes to keep it just above the grade. I am not great at fabrication, welding, etc. so something that could be attached at the bolts for the blade would be great. I may just have to float it manually as I go, which isn't the end of the world, but I wanted to see if anyone else had some other ideas.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I attached some pictures of the driveway and blade. Our turn around is at a fairly steep grade on the one side so that makes moving snow a little difficult while turning, but not impossible.
Sam,
I run the same setup on my rear blade. Never needed gauge wheels. Just make sure the blade pivot post is plumb with blade fully lowered. That way when it’s pivoted left or right, it’ll stay make contact with ground across the entire width.
For gravel, I’ll run the blade like you show and push. Or, rotate 180 and drive forward. With the convex side of the blade pointed in direction of travel, I find I move very little if any gravel.
HTH
Regards

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy

Nice.. who ever came up with this idea needs commended?
Simple but effective! Thank you!

Sam,
I run the same setup on my rear blade. Never needed gauge wheels. Just make sure the blade pivot post is plumb with blade fully lowered. That way when it’s pivoted left or right, it’ll stay make contact with ground across the entire width.
For gravel, I’ll run the blade like you show and push. Or, rotate 180 and drive forward. With the convex side of the blade pointed in direction of travel, I find I move very little if any gravel.
HTH
Regards
thanks for the tip? I’ll let my neighbor know about this for his gravel drive.

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
Nice.. who ever came up with this idea needs commended?
Simple but effective! Thank you!

thanks for the tip? I’ll let my neighbor know about this for his gravel drive.
Yeah it was an awesome idea. I had to shop around a couple TSC's in my area as a lot were out of the 3/4 in thick mats. As another tip I just used a new box blade and cut it, worked really well especially with something like a 2x4 under it above the cutting line. The mat would flop down as it cut and almost separated by itself as i cut. Probably did 3 or 4 passes total.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
Same here I ran that same setup for a couple years, works pretty good, last year I switched to a UHMW POLY CUTTING EDGE.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

That is pretty cool! I would like to increase the width of my backblade for snow removal, and had not thought of doing something like this. No asphalt or concrete here, but the added width would be helpful. I suppose I could do it with metal in my case...have to think more about it...

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
So I was just doing some dinking around on amazon and harbor freight to see if anything spurred some inspiration. I have totally avoided trailer jack products as I assumed they wouldn't cut the mustard. But look at this picture I just came across at the following link. Would that be possible with one set on the main shaft of the rear blade?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084P9MZRG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzME1QWE1aTTU5OEs0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDk4Mjg1MlRHV1dJRldVSTg2QyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODU5NjQyRTFGSVA0Sjg1REdBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
Also if you look close you can see he is using the pvc pipe method on his rb2060 in that picture as well and that looks like gravel underneath.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I’ve used a squeegee on a couple blades and might suggest:

We have best luck with wear when using the tread from old tires. Tougher than horse mat.

I would prefer more support behind the rubber. It looks like the rubber will bend back and you will drag the cutting edge in the gravel.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I’ve used a squeegee on a couple blades and might suggest:

We have best luck with wear when using the tread from old tires. Tougher than horse mat.

I would prefer more support behind the rubber. It looks like the rubber will bend back and you will drag the cutting edge in the gravel.
I could see this happening on the larger heavier blades but my BX blade probably not a problem. I see what you’re saying though..

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Yeah it was an awesome idea. I had to shop around a couple TSC's in my area as a lot were out of the 3/4 in thick mats. As another tip I just used a new box blade and cut it, worked really well especially with something like a 2x4 under it above the cutting line. The mat would flop down as it cut and almost separated by itself as i cut. Probably did 3 or 4 passes total.
Is this the 6’x 4’ or close to it? My buddy bought something from there for a small truck bed mat, really thick and heavy for about $40 I think.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Also if you look close you can see he is using the pvc pipe method on his rb2060 in that picture as well and that looks like gravel underneath.
I was going to suggest looking at the pvc method.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Can anyone tell me how the pvc is attached, I can't see it that well in the photo.

Fatfenders

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, LX2980 64" Commercial Snow Blower, FEL w/60" QA bucket, BB1260 Box
Dec 1, 2019
Tomahawk, WI
I also cut up a stall mat and attached it to my blade. I ended up with 8 - 6' strips, enought o last me for a while. Haven't had any snow to try ot yet, but thought about running blade backwards until a little snow base was built up.
20201107_133230[1].jpg

20201107_133238[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Can anyone tell me how the pvc is attached, I can't see it that well in the photo.
It is cut lengthwise and then use a mallet to pressure fit it on.

There are some youtube videos on this.

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
It is cut lengthwise and then use a mallet to pressure fit it on.

There are some youtube videos on this.
Thank you! I think I may have a piece of pvc out there somewhere but I think the rubber pad sounds like the way y to go. PVC may be free to try though.😊

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
So I've been doing some work on this. here are some pics of what I have so far. I'll try to give a little more detail once I have finished if people are interested. Crossing my fingers that it works.

Attachments

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
My thanks for posting this idea. It used to be during winter, the gravel and grass became one during winter plowing and I lived by ‘hey, that’ll grow back’.
So I picked up some 3/4” horse stall mat from TSC, ordered some longer plow bolts thru Bolt Depot (these had been hard for me to find) and it worked flawlessly. The mat edge skipped right over the rock and when I got stupid and went into the grass, it even skipped right over the grass too.
835443B9-6D1C-4CD4-8F96-429F80334FA2.jpeg
B9CCA914-B99B-44E4-A948-FF33A3C3EEDB.jpeg
1F6B226F-BAD0-4BC4-9D64-2AF60DEBE26A.jpeg