b8200 - Newbie's first tractor wont start

rjwrightohio

Equipment
B8200
Aug 23, 2023
Ohio
New owner of an older b8200, and put her to work last weekend. First time really using the tractor and it was epic. Moved large stones/logs, dug out a little stump. Well this weekend (i live 2.5 hours away from my property/tractor) i go to turn the tractor on and hear the click of the starter. The fan turns, as does the belt. Alternator (or what i think is alternator) is spinning. Battery tests at 12v.

So i took a video and while i wait the manual to get here, i hope someone would be kind enough to give me some tips.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Can you see how many volts the battery has while cranking?

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I about fell off my chair laughing when you said When I pull the choke!

There is no choke, it's a decompression Knob.
The battery is dead!
Pull it out and have it load tested.
The other issue it could be having is it could be hydraulic locking from something in the hydraulic system putting pressure on the pump.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My B6200 is a similar to your B8200. It really sounds like your battery is weak.
What you are calling the choke in the video is the compression release. The engine should be turning much faster with that pulled out. I have only needed the compression release in cold weather to get things moving.
I will try to remember to video my b so you can hear the difference.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I also agree it sounds like your battery. However, it could also be your neg/pos cables as well as the terminals at both ends. Check to make sure they are all clean and tight.

rjwrightohio

Equipment
B8200
Aug 23, 2023
Ohio
Can you see how many volts the battery has while cranking?
Thank you 689704x4 for taking the time to respond. Absolutely will try this and add it to things to do in the future.

I about fell off my chair laughing when you said When I pull the choke!
Appreciate the guidance sir. Promise my next question will include the appropriate naming of items as i will have the manual. :)

I also agree it sounds like your battery. However, it could also be your neg/pos cables as well as the terminals at both ends. Check to make sure they are all clean and tight.
The electrical has been "worked on". Given its age i'm not surprised and knew that walking in. The various warning lights don't light up at startup as i would expect but i could be wrong. Likely will snag a battery on my next trip up and snug up the connections.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
I bought a '49 8N years ago, had a new battery in it. I used that thing almost every day for over a month when I noticed it wasn't turning over as fast as it had been. Turns out the alternator wasn't even hooked up.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thank you 689704x4 for taking the time to respond. Absolutely will try this and add it to things to do in the future.

Appreciate the guidance sir. Promise my next question will include the appropriate naming of items as i will have the manual. :)

L
Another word about using the decompress cable.

Pulling the knob out releases compression on the cylinders so the starter can spin the engine faster. The engine will not start or run with the decompress knob pulled out. You pull it out to get the engine spinning nice and fast and then push it in to start the engine.

Also note that if you pull it out with the engine running the engine will shutdown with one hell of a nasty valve clatter.

Dan

rjwrightohio

Equipment
B8200
Aug 23, 2023
Ohio
There is no choke, it's a decompression Knob.
North Idaho Wolfman, I do need to honestly thank you... To shorten the story i had bad information, and as a result of you pointing out the proper name, i learned of a repair which first needs to occur. You see, i've been shutting down the tractor with the decompression knob. It was going to be a winter project to better understand why there was an awful noise each time i shut it down Doing searches on this forum because of your information supported by others i now know this could have horrific results. The present engine stop knob is missing and the wire is stuck somewhere. Now i didn't know what this stuck wire did till then.

When i get back onsite with the tractor will be inspecting the stop lever and wire. Then determine the parts i need to purchase. While many folks may have laughed and simply ignored my post due to me not knowing, you pointing this out likely saved me some serious heart ache and pain... Truly, thank you.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hope you do know it wasn't a condescending remark, I just though it was funny.
And yes if you don't know all the Diesel lingo it's tough.

Here is the stop cable:

zoombats

Equipment
B8200, BX23S
Feb 2, 2019
penetanguishene ontario Canada
I too should not be joking about glowplugs and new owners of tractors. I have learned so much from this forum because everybody is truly helpful and takes every question with good intent. I always tipped my hat to Wolfman because his knowledge is vast. A funny story of mine was The B8200 was my very first tractor. After buying my newer, used B8200 I couldn't understand why it wouldn't start for me. Nothing , no clicks, nadda. It was only then I realized that my previous tractor did't have the safety feature functioning and the newr one you had to depress the pedal. It would be funny if I hadn't started to search out the electrical, non existent problem with the ignition. Live and learn and laugh it off.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
While many folks may have laughed and simply ignored my post due to me not knowing,

Hell, I bet 50% of the people here did not know that, but they wont admit it.

I've driven and worked on my light diesels trucks for better than 25 years, and "not one" has had a "decompression knob".

Never even heard of it.

I learned something too. (y) 🍺

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA

I've driven and worked on my light diesels trucks for better than 25 years, and "not one" has had a "decompression knob".

Never even heard of it.

I don't think Kubota install them on anything past the B200 series of the 1980's. They probably figured it wasn't worth the trouble or added expense. If the system fails and sticks open, you have one expensive paper weight that can't get out of it's own way. A bigger battery and heavier cables is the more common way to tackle cold starts on a diesel.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I don't think Kubota install them on anything past the B200 series of the 1980's. They probably figured it wasn't worth the trouble or added expense. If the system fails and sticks open, you have one expensive paper weight that can't get out of it's own way. A bigger battery and heavier cables is the more common way to tackle cold starts on a diesel.

Never even heard of it.

Old guys that had large bore 2 stroke dirt bikes try to toss them over the handlebars know of compression release ! And now back to our regular programming.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I'm glad everyone is pointing to the battery being low. I have a older b7100 gear drive with a decomp knob , I have never used it, as it is "frozen" and has been for as long as I have owned the tractor. The tractor stays on a maintenance charger 24/7/365 and gets a minimum 10-15 seconds on the glow plugs (turn and hold the key backwards) in the summer and longer in the winter, long story short the tractor starts almost every time with this practice and if it doesn't light off within a second or two of cranking I re-apply the glow plugs for a little while longer then it fires right off. These tractors, even though small require a pretty fair amount of cranking amps (good maintained battery) and a good set of glow plugs. If it's cranking slowly or the glow plugs are not working properly you are fighting an losing uphill battle to get it going. Note: my tractor stays in a non temperature controlled garage year round and with the above practices and a good battery it starts within just a couple turms of the engine even on the coldest days.

Last edited:

rjwrightohio

Equipment
B8200
Aug 23, 2023
Ohio
For future searchers who may find this thread, my battery was indeed bad. Took it over to the local auto parts for a free test indicating bad health and a new battery install immediately solved that issue.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
For future searchers who may find this thread, my battery was indeed bad. Took it over to the local auto parts for a free test indicating bad health and a new battery install immediately solved that issue.

Thanks to all those who replied.
Thanks for the update, that always helps!