b7800 whine

mark123

Oct 25, 2009
trenton
When I am using my 7800 I hear a whining coming from it. It usally occurs when I have the petal all the way down. Even as I idle the tractor up it makes the same sound. It sounds like it is coming from the front end, but can be all to sure. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi mark123
The whine you describe is coming from the plastic shield on the driveshaft to the front axle. specifically, it is coming from a plastic bushing at the rear (small end) of that shield. The fix is to simply remove about 1 inch of the shield including the bushing. you can climb under there and cut it off with a knife or I use my side cutters to butcher it off. you can spray wd40 in there and it will be quiet for a while.
Ed

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Mark
on the small end of that funnel shaped shield there is a rib. in it there is a plastic bushing. when it gets a little worn it vibrates in the shield on the driveshaft and causes the siren type sound ( the funnel shaped shield amplifies it) cut the shield just up from the rib and remove the rib and bushing. The bushing doesn't really perform much of a function in there anyway. You could buy another shield and replace it instead if you like giving money to the dealership! ( not that easy of a job either) The new one may start making noise soon too. Or it may not, most of them never do.
Ed

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Great!! whole lot better than rebuilding the hydrostat huh? The Kubota hydro gives very little trouble, I have only been into one in the last 6 years.
I am the only mechanic at a smaller ( we sell 120 to 140 tractors per year plus attachments ) Kubota dealership. I see one or two of these a year. We don't sell a lot of B's, My manager thinks they are overpriced compared to the BX.
Ed

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Hi Mark
on the small end of that funnel shaped shield there is a rib. in it there is a plastic bushing. when it gets a little worn it vibrates in the shield on the driveshaft and causes the siren type sound ( the funnel shaped shield amplifies it) cut the shield just up from the rib and remove the rib and bushing. The bushing doesn't really perform much of a function in there anyway. You could buy another shield and replace it instead if you like giving money to the dealership! ( not that easy of a job either) The new one may start making noise soon too. Or it may not, most of them never do.
Ed
Hi Guys:
I'm not hearing a whine but more like a "ratcheting" or "grinding" sound, but not all the time, so that is a problem. My 3-year "powertrain" warranty expires Dec. 5, so I was curious if y'all thought the sound might be coming from the cover on the transmission shaft (?). Photo attached.
Hope to hear something from you guys.
David

Attachments

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Hi Ed:
I'm a newby owner of a 2007 B7800 and am hearing a ratcheting sound coming from what I think is the powertrain, but not all the time. The warranty expired Nov. 5 but my dealer has about a month to make the claim after that, so I've got about two weeks left to figure out what's up.
I've attached a photo of a plastic covering on the shaft which might be making the noise and wanted to check with you.
If this is the cause of the noise, I don't understand is why it's not making the sound all the time.
Any insight you could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks.
David

Attachments

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I am not Ed nor do I have Ed's expertise. But just from an old grease monkey I would say that is the source of your sounds. And it looks like damage from the outside.:D Dusty

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi.
Been busy lately so haven't been on the computer much!
I doubt that your problem is caused by the cover, it could very well be caused by whatever damaged the cover though! are the u-joints inside the cover OK? I'd get it into the dealership right away so they can fix it up under warranty.
Ed

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Thank you both. The dealer's picking up my Kubby on Monday. I'll report back what they say. I was just curious if it might make sense to cut away this plastic and see what I see. Maybe the sound would go away too. Save me a few bucks, anyway. They charge $80 to pickup&deliver back the tractor. Cheaper than buying a trailer which I'd use once or twice a year. Thanks again.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Guys... when I got my B2410 I spent a lot of time on it, actually most of the summer. I initially heard a wine which got louder as the summer progressed. Funny thing though... the farther I got away from the wife the less I heard the whine;). Merry Christmas all! Butch

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Again, thanks guys for your input. I promised an update on the funny noise coming from under the tractor (no, it's not a troll).
The dealership says it's the damaged plastic cover ($80 to pickup & deliver the tractor from 6 miles away, and the minimum $80 for one hour (really, did it take them more than 5 minutes?) for labor.
The kicker is that they says it's a $500 job to replace the plastic cover, so guess what? I'll live with it or cut away the cover and fabricate something else to protect that spot, or take another person's advice and simply cut away the plastic cover and forget about it.
For now, I'm fixing up my neighbor's shed where "Kubby" will hibernate for the winter. I'll already missing him.
I'm trying to figure out some way to get electricity out to the shed (500' away) so I can hook up a glow plug heater. Is it too far for extension cords?
Happy Holidays to All
David