B7200 HYD HIGH LOW RANGE QUESTION/ really need assistance thanks

CHARLESINMAINE

Dec 29, 2019
Waldoboro Maine usa
The high /low range lever on my tractor seems to be unhooked internally.
makes no difference which position tractor sometimes moves forward and reverse then stops when going up hill or down
when lifting front end up with bucket loader it will engage in either high or low and run fine then stop all motion as if in neutral on high low shifter

has anyone run into this. Tractor is mintish with 200 hours, On a hyd model what does lever activate and could it have become unhooked internally only to engage when front wheels are lifted 1 foot off round or w fork lift from rear 1 foot off ground/. Is there a shuttle valve that is loose from lever shaft?

your assistance is much appreciated, I am a newbie, have manuals though still do not understand how internals engage . Seems like lever is a drift other than high neutral and low detents, while moving forwards lever can be moved to any position without change in motion.

thanks Charles in Maine

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The high /low range lever on my tractor seems to be unhooked internally.
It may not be internal. On my B7100, which I suspect may be similar, the lever rotates a shaft sticking through the case. The other end of the shaft has a lever or cam to slide a shuttle gear set forward or back. The lever itself is connected to the shaft with a roll pin. If the pin is sheared off, the lever will just rotate on the shaft instead of rotating the shaft. Have a real close look (possibly use a marker to paint a witness mark across the joint) while moving the lever and see if it is actually rotating the shaft fully.

Reactions: 1 user

CHARLESINMAINE

Dec 29, 2019
Waldoboro Maine usa
It may not be internal. On my B7100, which I suspect may be similar, the lever rotates a shaft sticking through the case. The other end of the shaft has a lever or cam to slide a shuttle gear set forward or back. The lever itself is connected to the shaft with a roll pin. If the pin is sheared off, the lever will just rotate on the shaft instead of rotating the shaft. Have a real close look (possibly use a marker to paint a witness mark across the joint) while moving the lever and see if it is actually rotating the shaft fully.
Thanks we will look tomorrow, you mention a shuttle and gears, this tractor is hydrostatic transmission, there must be a different mechanism than shuttle and gears, ie. Valves?

we will still check first thing in am thanks for input

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The high/low range is accomplished with gears, even in an HST. Generally, one uses low range for most work. It provides the best torque for pulling and pushing. High range is used for driving home from the fields at the end of the day. It's like an overdrive. It provides the best speed (on flat ground, anyway).

CHARLESINMAINE

Dec 29, 2019
Waldoboro Maine usa
The high/low range is accomplished with gears, even in an HST. Generally, one uses low range for most work. It provides the best torque for pulling and pushing. High range is used for driving home from the fields at the end of the day. It's like an overdrive. It provides the best speed (on flat ground, anyway).
Torch, you have been most helpful. If it does have a shuttle and slides low high and neutral gears to mesh or not , it begins to make sense. We will check the lever and external shaft. If not there we will have to split the tracror unless we can get to internals from a top-plate to locate floating shuttle issue.
thanks again.

charles

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have a B7100, so not identical. But they are of the same era and share many design features. I checked the Kubota parts website and the diagram seems to show your lever is secured to the shaft with a roll pin, same as mine. But yours is under a sheet metal cover plate that mine lacks.

CHARLESINMAINE

Dec 29, 2019
Waldoboro Maine usa
I have a B7100, so not identical. But they are of the same era and share many design features. I checked the Kubota parts website and the diagram seems to show your lever is secured to the shaft with a roll pin, same as mine. But yours is under a sheet metal cover plate that mine lacks.
Torch you have been super, much appreciated, I have yet to check roll pin though will do so at noon eastern b back to you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the tractor is slowing to a stop on a grade or when worked hard, it could be a burned out clutch or a HST issue.
It doesn't sound like a range issue.
You would notice a significant difference between high and low.
If your lifting the front of tractor to get it shift range are you sure your shifting range and not 4wd?

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I cannot see the range lever having a mind of its own either. As Wolfman says I would suspect the clutch. Also these tractors have a three digit odometer so could have a lot more hours on it. Mine is also in mint condition but it has 2300 hours on it.

CHARLESINMAINE

Dec 29, 2019
Waldoboro Maine usa
If the tractor is slowing to a stop on a grade or when worked hard, it could be a burned out clutch or a HST issue.
It doesn't sound like a range issue.
You would notice a significant difference between high and low.
If your lifting the front of tractor to get it shift range are you sure your shifting range and not 4wd?
There is no difference when tractor is running to shift hi low into neutral or hi or low.
it does not slow to stop acts as if high low lever is not connected internally It just stops and will not move
as if hi low gears fell into neutral position . With tractor not running if I lift front end up 2 feet then place down , when started it is in gear and moves. Same when lifting rear of tractor, then start and it’s in gear.

hi low lever seems to have three detents though makes no difference. It can be in any position while moving forward as if it is unhooked from shuttle, This is an estate tractor that never saw much work , purchased new by deceased last owner, real clean.

when lifting tractor with fork lift some times it ends up being in low and sometimes in high.
having not been in the hi low gear section of tractor I do not have a good understanding other than what schematics show with shuttle and Rod to moveable low nuetral and hi gear shaft and gears, it acts like it comes out of high or low when going up or down hill

roll pin is in handle and engages through case shaft, must be on inside.
when running and moving she’s 100%

thanks perplexed in Maine