B7200 HST-D Rebuild/Restore.......problems

Rocketman69

Equipment
1992 B7200 HST 4WD
Aug 30, 2015
Kansas City, MO
Well....turns out the tractor I worked into the deal on my new home purchase last fall wasn't as good as I thought. Previous owner wasn't keen on proper maintenance and the second time I used it to mow, she overheated.

I found the fill neck on the radiator was bent, so the cap couldn't seal....and the seals on the cap were completely dry rotted anyway. No coolant. Not something I expected, but I guess I should have known better than to take his word on it being ready to go.

Once I fixed up the radiator and got a new cap, refilled it and fired it back up, it was spitting what looked like a mixture of coolant and oil or fuel out the exhaust pipe. I figured at that point that I had a blown head gasket.

Since the damned tractor leaked from just about every orifice, I figured I'd pull everything apart, clean/repaint, new gaskets, and the works. Get it looking good and in proper maintenance.

This is when I discovered that the engine is a structural member of the frame.....this should be fun. I'm used to working on cars and motorcycles.

No problem.....front end needed to come apart anyway.

Time to buy a service manual......thanks to all of the resources here, I was able to obtain the WSM in digital form, print it out and make a nice binder.

Time to pull the engine. Had to borrow a cherry picker from a buddy, as mine is still up in Michigan at my old place. Removal wasn't that hard, but getting it on the engine stand was another story. Had to get creative with the mounting arms to get for holes on the flex plate that would line up. Took some doing, but she's mounted solid now.

I got the head off, and inspected the piston domes.....already trouble. #1 and #3 didn't look bad....but apparently, #2 has seen some moisture.

Rocketman69

Equipment
1992 B7200 HST 4WD
Aug 30, 2015
Kansas City, MO
Didn't see anything obviously wrong with the gasket, so I was a bit confused.

Head doesn't look good though. Bad pitting in the #2 combustion chamber:

I didn't see it with my naked eye at first.....it wasn't until looking at the photos I took with my cell phone that I noticed that crack between the #2 exhaust valve and injector. Well.....so much for getting out of this cheaply. So, I'm fairly certain there's no "fixing" that.

Anyone know where to find the best deal on a replacement cylinder head?

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
When I was restoring my L 1500 I did get a lot of transmission parts / gears from these guys in Cyprus

https://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy

Even with shipping, with the Euro being down a bit they were the cheapest I found so you might check them out along with whatever other leads you get from the other guys here

Bill Rigsby
Florissant CO

1972(?) KUBOTA L-1500-DT
Great Bend M10 48" Front End Loader
Brush Hog 48" "Squealer Mower"
Atlas 48" Landscape Box
Rhino 60" Rear Blade
Draw Bar with 2" Ball
28" Fork Lift Forks
36" Sears Snow Blower (still to be mounted to the front PTO)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
NIW, I was going to ask if you have any long term feedback on these Aftermarket Kubota Cylinder Heads?
This is a Bare Head Which Comes With All Valve Train Parts. Unassembled as Supplied by Aftermarket Kubota Standards.

Then I read on and funny thing it then says they are "Manufactured by Kubota."
Then they say Kumar Bros USA. is in no way affiliated with any OEM manufacturers.
So they are aftermarket, yet they say they are not?
I'll bet they're not..........
Any feedback?
Just noticed the D1005, they say specifically genuine, but I expect valve components would be aftermarket?

Last edited:

Rocketman69

Equipment
1992 B7200 HST 4WD
Aug 30, 2015
Kansas City, MO
I saw the Kumar Bros. stuff on eBay. Price seems great, but I have no idea if their parts are worth a damn. It would appear that those who've bought their steering boxes have been happy with them, but a cylinder head is a bit more involved than a steering box.

Only review I could find was from another user on this forum (OlTrailDog) about a head he purchased from them for his L345DT......he wasn't happy (said the combustion chamber size was wrong), and had to send it back. Not sure if they ever returned his money. That's enough to make me wary of dealing with them.

Anyone else had any dealings with Kumar Bros.?

Would love to find an OEM head for under $500, but so far I've had no luck finding one.

Rocketman69

Equipment
1992 B7200 HST 4WD
Aug 30, 2015
Kansas City, MO
OH.....another thing:

Upon closer inspection of the #2 cylinder bore, I noticed the edge of the sleeve looks to be pitted. Take a look at this:

Is that something I need to worry about? I assume this would require a re-sleeve? Anyone know how much that's going to hurt the ol' wallet?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have rebuilt quite a few engines with Kumarbros parts, I haven't had any issues with any of the parts I have gotten.
They seam to be of good quality.
When I did have a problem with a gasket it was quick and painless to replace it.
I have a complete head that I got for my Bobcat V1702 IDI and have had no issues with the head, Ran it for a year.
I'm in the process of rebuilding the entice engine as it has bad liners and rings.

Like all parts there is always some good and some bad. ;)

If you like to keep stock parts, look here:
http://www.grainfarmer.com/kubota-engines.html

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say yes, you'll need to do a complete rebuild, or get a rebuilt or good used engine.

Last edited:

Rocketman69

Equipment
1992 B7200 HST 4WD
Aug 30, 2015
Kansas City, MO
So....even though there is no pitting inside the cylinder bore, and only on the top edge of #2, I'll need to get new liners?

Any idea how much the machine work for getting the new liners installed and bored should cost me?

I was already planning on new pistons, rings, and bearings, but was hoping to get away with not needing new liners. What a bummer.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
If you have no pitting in the path of the rings and not under the fire ring of the head gasket then you can rebuild without new liners. Use the old gasket as a guide as the fire ring flattens when installed/torqued. Jeff