B7200 Advice

R2JOHN

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Sep 8, 2012
Brentwood, NH.
Hi to All,
New to this group and found great information. I have a 1987 B7200 standard trans. no power steering. Has 1640 Loader,Woods 3pt. 5ft. blade, 420hrs. I bought this used in 89 with 32hrs. on it. I have serviced it faitfully,always garaged and the paint still shines. No leaks what so ever. Runs great!
It needs all new hydralic hoses.cracked but not leaking. Loader bucket control valve lingage worn out. Replacement parts? pricey, New joy stick? Loaded rear tires. Rims starting to weep.
I use this for plowing my driveway,moving material around the yard.
Thinking about a new BX 2300 series hydro with power steering and loader. If you consider the physical size beetween the 2 a big difference.
Dealers do not want to give me much, Manual trans, no power sterring. I am thinking of going all throught this tractor with new hoses, joy stick valve, tube the rear tires and any thing else it needs. Minor at this point.
What can I face for possible issues in the future due to age? Parts? Problems
What would you do? Keep it,Fix it and for what I do should last a few more years. new one $14,000. I thank you all for your advice and repies,
John

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say fix what you have and make it right and your tractor will last you for many more years to come. Spend maybe a thousand dollars fixing your's or spend $14,000 on new iron.

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Well you've managed since '87 with no power steering so that's not really an issue unless your health is forcing you to make life easier?

If the above doesn't come into it then I'd put some money into what you have. It's a good tractor from what I've read (I have the smaller B4200) and to be quite honest I don't put as much faith into new machines as I do older kit. Things were made better years ago! It's done hardly any hours and these older machines don't get a lot of money when sold (that's why I bought my old B4200!)

Replace everything that needs doing and carry on. I think it would be interesting to see how long it will last - my money is on a lot of years yet!

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
R2John, I agree with the others. I like working on the older tractors and find that most have a lot of life left in them. I like the size of the B's compared to the BX's. Bigger tires (with fluid) and the wider stance means more stability, especially with the loader. But, if you just want to buy a new BX, try it out first with the type of work you do and make sure you will be happy with it. Keep the B7200 for jobs you don't want to beat up you new tractor with.

Good luck,
John

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Myself, I would struggle with the decision- there is comfort in the familiar, and there is excitment in the new. I have no problem trusting the new tractors- Kubota still makes good stuff. You have a great tractor, with more years ahead of it than behind it. Parts aren't a problem, and you have been happy so far. But, if you have to buy a new one, you should fix the known issues, and sell yours privately. It will bring more that way. Lots of folks are looking for low hour, well cared for, one or two owner tractors with a loader- you should get a fair price for yours.
Welcome to OTT!

R2JOHN

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Sep 8, 2012
Brentwood, NH.
Thank you all for the replies!! You have convinced me to go with my gut feeling from the start and keep this tractor. I just needed some good advice. As far as manual trans is ok for what I do. Life saver for plowing the yard. Saves me $40 a storm. You know I may look at that power steering kit! In 4wheel drive moving snow it not all that bad. I am getting older retirement age!!
Thanks again guy, This is a great site.
Happy Sunday,
John