B7100 Wheel Mounting

Saskstallion

Mar 9, 2018
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I've got a 1980 B7100, and was doing some work with it for the first time yesterday.
I was lifting things with the FEL, and noticed the back end of the tractor was a little unstable.
I'm not familiar with these tractors, as this is my first machine that I've owned, but I'm just wondering if this is the way the rear wheels are supposed to be mounted (see attached photo)?
The wheel simply slides over the axle, and a collar has a bolt in it to tighten the collar, then there is another bolt that runs through a hole in the axle to act as a "keeper pin".
Any input on this would be very much appreciated.
Thanks all!

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
the first time I looked at the picture - my brain turned inside out! Seeing that it is upside down threw me a bit!:D

The RIM is mounted backwards on that side of the axle. BUT the valve stem is on the "outside" too..... but the nuts are on the inside????

maybe the older B7100 had it flipped? I still think you have the situation inside out.....

as for holding - the clam shell design can get sloppy over time - ALWAYS make sure the pin stays in, it does not "help" the tension, rather an alignment and as a last ditch effort in case the shell did not hold.

There are replacement hubs on EBAY if those are shot!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep like 85Hokie said, it's all backwards and inside out.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yep like 85Hokie said, it's all backwards and inside out.
Part that has me puzzled.....the HOLE for the valve stem.......PO drill that? I have seen stems as OE but not on a B7100...

Saskstallion

Mar 9, 2018
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Part that has me puzzled.....the HOLE for the valve stem.......PO drill that? I have seen stems as OE but not on a B7100...
Not sure on that one.... Looks like I've taken on a few "mysteries" when I bought this machine....
So just to make sure I get it right, I just need to remove the wheels and flip them around and re-install on the axle?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Not sure on that one.... Looks like I've taken on a few "mysteries" when I bought this machine....
So just to make sure I get it right, I just need to remove the wheels and flip them around and re-install on the axle?
by flipping them - you will gain a wider stance, which is always good - until it hits your mid mower deck.

downside is placing air in tires will be a little more fun!

Here is a picture of what you are trying to achieve:

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My stock R1 rims have the same exact setup for the valve stems.
I think the difference is the Turf rims ;)

Last edited:

Saskstallion

Mar 9, 2018
Edmonton, AB, Canada
by flipping them - you will gain a wider stance, which is always good - until it hits your mid mower deck.

downside is placing air in tires will be a little more fun!

Here is a picture of what you are trying to achieve:
One more question I have, after looking at the wheel again... Will I also need to unbolt the center hub and turn it around?
Seems like if I just flip the wheel around, there won't be much or the collar holding it onto the shaft.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, or if it plain just doesn't make sense....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Also if you note the rim center are dished to one side or the other, you can change them around either way to get the largest off set you can out of them.