B7100 Rear Studs On New Hubs

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Hello everyone,

Just recently had some new tires put on my b7100. I replaced the rear hubs with a new style hubs that I got off of eBay this past summer. When we put the rear tires back on today everything was going smooth. Put the tractor back on the ground and gave all the lug nuts one last tightening (with not that much strength), and two studs got stripped! It literally ripped the threads right off. We ended up taking the nut off, removing the lock washer, and got the nut to tighten down.

Anyone else have this problem or is it just my luck? I couldn't believe the threads ripped right off, it's like the studs are made of lead! I'll have to see if I can contact the company I bought them from and get some new studs. Anyone have a source for them?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You could try fastenal, auto parts store, or kubota. Sounds like you got a hold of some that weren't hardened correctly. Frustrating as hell, but happens from time to time.

We had a brand new dually that I rotated the tires on. Torque specs were 150ft/lbs. Got almost to where the wrench was about to click and snapped the stud. Had 3 on that one side do that.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
You could try fastenal, auto parts store, or kubota. Sounds like you got a hold of some that weren't hardened correctly. Frustrating as hell, but happens from time to time.

We had a brand new dually that I rotated the tires on. Torque specs were 150ft/lbs. Got almost to where the wrench was about to click and snapped the stud. Had 3 on that one side do that.
I'll have to pop them out and take them around to see if someone can come up with something, I think my best bet is the tire shop. I mind as well change them all out now, after that I doubt they have the strength to even hold the loaded tires on now! It's a pain in the rear to find parts around here, usually have to visit every store and it seems most counter people have no clue at all if their computer can't find it for them. :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's a pain in the rear to find parts around here, usually have to visit every store and it seems most counter people have no clue at all if their computer can't find it for them. :rolleyes:
It's pretty much the same here. Parts guys are kids working through college, or drop outs with no real product knowledge. Theres only a couple people I'll deal with at the local o'rileys. The manager or assistant manager :rolleyes: everyone else there has about 6 months experience and usually have to resort to asking the manager. Half the time the manager won't even leave the office. Just tells the counter person to let me go back and get what I need :D:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, because of just what you mentioned " local o'rileys" around here is referred to as "Oh Really".

If I need something I ask for the asst. mgr or the mgr by name. If anyone else tries to help it need to be a yes or no question.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
The funny part is they want a raise! :D I find that a ma and pa hardware store carries a better stock of basic plumbing parts compared to the bigger corporation supply stores around here. We have three supply stores on the same street in one city, you can stop at all three and still not find what you need. The problem is MA taxes them on their stock so they will ship out of a warehouse from another state close by, it's ridiculous.

Anyways.... If anyone has these Chinese replacment hubs, you may want to give your lug nuts a once over to make sure the threads won't shear off. I don't think it would be safe to lose a rear tire while your driving it :eek: Mine came from eBay, $150 a piece, and the studs are junk. :mad:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You should also double check torque specs to see if they say 'wet' or 'dry'. Normally on lug nuts it's assumed to be dry.

Chinese bolts are notorious for poor quality unless they are certified to meet some specification, then they are still notorious but closer to spec... :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The problem is MA taxes them on their stock so they will ship out of a warehouse from another state close by, it's ridiculous. :mad:
How can they tax on inventory when it hasn't been sold? :confused::confused:

They have a personal property tax on any thing registered for road or water here. They used to try and tax on belongings in your home till the residents filed a class action law suit against the state.
Seems like taxes on inventory that haven't been sold yet, would be the same deal. How can they enforce it?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You could probably save a lot of time and running around if you knew the dia. and thread pitch, then just call fastenal. They'll get it in a couple of day and you know it's quality because you can order the grade you want.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Tool junkie,

Taxing inventory sound like hooey but unfortunately it's a reality. Here is a good article in it referring to the commonwealth of Taxachusetts.

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2012/08/inventory_tax_costs_jobs_study.html

D2cat,

Thanks for pointing out fastenall, I use them quite often for a variety of hardware materials but they are definitely on the expensive end. Believe it or not Hilti's prices on hardware are a little better and you get credit points towards future purchases.

I ended up taking them up to my tire guys, they had a few in stock and ordered me the remaining. I haven't had to deal with a wheel stud in a long time and the only time I did my grandfather helped me out. I didn't want to get the wrong measurements seeing I never have to do it so I took it to guys that do. I only deal with basic standard sizes of hardware, once you get into fancy sizes, pitches, and thread count your talking Chinese to me. :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Yes, they have the hardware, but cost is a factor. "they are definitely on the expensive end." I bought 10 (yes, ten) bolts from them for attaching my loader bracket the the belly of the tractor and I spent about $100. BUT I needed metric, correct pitch, correct length, correct grade.