B7100 Questions

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
Hello to all. New to the site and just bought my first tractor, a B7100 HST 4WD with 563 hours on it. Couple of questions: 1) Tractor is missing part# 66204-55450 which is the black box/radiator screen/"dustproof net." It's over $300 for a new one w/ mounting hardware. Fabrication ideas? Materials? 2) What about a newer model grill guard retro-fitted for the B7100? What might work? 3) More generally: A) What model# replaced the B7100? B) what model today would be most similar? C) Is the 1990ish B series the same as today's? Thanks a lot!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I know I've read on here somewhere that they used some aluminum channel and cheap AC unit air filters to help keep the dust and junk out of the radiator. That's probably the cheapest option that works well.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
For your screen in front of the radiator. Window screen is cheap!!!!! Make up a frame to fit the spot and you should be good. At $300 from the dealer, that seams a little excessive :eek:

Or, instead of making something, just check the radiator, when you check your oil. If it's getting clogged up, hose out the radiator with a garden hose :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
2) What about a newer model grill guard retro-fitted for the B7100? What might work? 3) More generally: A) What model# replaced the B7100? B) what model today would be most similar? C) Is the 1990ish B series the same as today's? Thanks a lot!
2: Not going to happen.
3A: None really, the B7100's were the end of a design era.
3B: None
3C: None

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Does your B7100 have 6 bolt front wheels? If so I can post some photos and dimensions if you want to try fabricating one yourself. On such a low hour machine - did the previous owner explain why it is missing?

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
I appreciate all the replies. I want to do something similar to the OEM part or buy it. I just can't find out what it's even made of (hard plastic? screen?) or original dimensions, so that would be very helpful. I was really hoping for a brush guard retro-fit to make it look a bit newer. On the advice of an older friend who used to be a Cub Cadet/Kubota dealer, I found this "needs TLC" B7100. He looked over for me and said, "Buy it. You'll get 20+ years of life out of it." All I know is I'm way more excited than anyone else about it. I get it back from a "spring maintenance" dealer overview this week and can't wait to use it. I even bought the ball cap!

Last edited:

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
Was hoping to mount something like the pic below on the front even though it's made for a newer model. I did try every parts dealer/salvage yard on the net but no one has just the box I need. Thinking about running over to a dealer in Hilliard, OH later today. They have a used B7100 for sale with the screen intact. I could determine materials and dimensions from that and try to fab something. Thanks again for the replies. My wife is so sick of hearing about it so it helps to have a forum where you can be excited about having a project. Going to do a low-level restoration starting with a rattle can paint job soon. Lots of great articles on that. Previous owner apparently ran into something, broke the black box, and kept rolling. They had been using an old socket wrench for a lunch pin on the snow blade that came with it...

Attachments

Last edited:

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
That's really enough information to give me something to go on! It reminds me of the old Craico speaker boxes. I can work with this so again thanks very much for posting the details. You're the man!

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
Found these Gutter Guard screens at Lowe's for $3.28 each. They are stackable and measure 6" x 36." Think I will be able to make this work! I can template it in cardboard and then go from there. Thanks for the window screen ideas too. That's the aisle I found this in.

Attachments

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
No problem - it does seem to be a fairly simple part. No like it seals oil or water at pressure. Best of luck to you, please post your results.:)

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
PS - the lip at the top is necessary too. It is just a very light gauge angle iron, or L shaped piece.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can probably pick up perforated steel at lowes, Home Depot or tractor supply. Cut with tin snips and bend it by hand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need much finer screen than the screen your posting.
The main function of that screen is to keep the radiator free of chaff to keep it from overheating.