Ashland, KY

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your B7100's engine has a little bit of a different setup, I don't think there is the same frost plug location as the larger engines.
Your most likely causes of antifreeze in the oil is:
#1 Blown head gasket,
#2 Cracked head,
#3 Cracked block,

It could be a failed frost plug but I don't think there is one in a location that leads to the oil pan.

Did the engine freeze or overheat?

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
don't know for sure, its a project that I got from an elder at church. He said it ran great when he last used it but from the condition when I went to see it I think it might have been sitting outside exactly where I loaded it for many years. for this reason I suspect froze because of the winter we had last year. I forgot to add that the amount of coolant you see drained into the block overnight. I was checking the machine and getting it ready to start when I saw the radiator was low so I topped it off with 50/50(probably half to 3/4 gallon or maybe even more). The next day I went out and was preparing to change the oil and filter then replace clean fuel and fuel filter too before cranking it over when I saw the radiator was low again. seems like WAY to much coolant to drain for just a bad gasket or small crack....? Nothing is leaking outside either, its an internal leak only. I did manage to squeeze my head up under the hood to look into the radiator and cant see coolant so leads me to think it might be draining in from below the head too..... I dunno, im not an expert, just reading and researching. Trying to learn as much as I can about this restoration. Its an awesome little machine and has a loader and backhoe so it will be worth restoring/repairing I suspect. thanks for taking the time to watch and respond, I have seen you post on many of this threads and was hoping you would chime in on mine too!

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Years ago (1969) I had a friend that bought an almost new Fiat 124 Spyder from the dealer. The original owner had quickly realized a two seater sports car was not going to work for his family.

My friend was very proud of his flashy new car and was in shock when it came in for service and he was told there was oil in the rad.

Engine was torn down and the usual things replaced.
Years later my friend was drinking in a bar with a young man who had been an apprentice mechanic at the dealer when the 124 Spyder first arrived off the boat. He told my friend a story that goes something like this.
The head mechanic was an old Italian who loved to flirt with the ladies. One day he was servicing the 124 and talking to a woman customer at the same time. The apprentice saw him pour motor oil into the rad all the while talking to the woman.
By the time he realized his mistake he had started the car and the oil circulated throughout the cooling system. The cooling system was drained and refilled but the original owner was never told nor was my friend who bought the car a few months later.
A long story to say could something like this have happened to your B7100 by the church elder and you dont need to do a complete tear down?
Dave M7040

h

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
That would be nice but my radiator lost almost all its coolant overnight so I have an issues somewhere. First I'm Just hoping it's not cracked block then I hope it's not a cracked head. Both of those are extremely expensive repairs.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That would be nice but my radiator lost almost all its coolant overnight so I have an issues somewhere. First I'm Just hoping it's not cracked block then I hope it's not a cracked head. Both of those are extremely expensive repairs.
Pull your dipstick and see if it is there....

After a while of adding - it will show up somewhere, on the ground, in the pan, housing....somewhere......

if leaking into the engine - it would only leak what gravity placed there - no more - it would be the same amount every time - that is while it SITS, if leaking on the ground - it would leak to the lowest point.

like you said - when you find it - thats where the $$$$$$ will come in to fix it !

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
It definitely goes to the oil pan. That was my first clue something was wrong.... I pulled dipstick to check and oil started coming out of the hole from being so overfull.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It definitely goes to the oil pan. That was my first clue something was wrong.... I pulled dipstick to check and oil started coming out of the hole from being so overfull.
Looks like that head is going to have to come off......but I really dont think that would be the problem SITTING still.......if you ran it a lot - I could see the water getting back into the oil, but sitting still???? It has to be a water jacket somewhere down near the bottom of the engine to cause THAT much water to be moved. Not sure a freeze plug would allow the water to get directly to the oil pan, you got be stumped - love to know what you find out!:)

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I'll keep everyone posted. Gonna pull head first and check gasket then I'll pull front cover too.

HealeyBN7

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Aug 3, 2015
Thousand Oaks
I would be inclined to pull the front cover first. It is more likely the freeze plug then the head gasket and that would be the easier/cheaper of the two to fix.

If it turns out the head has to come off and it is a block/liner issue, the front cover will be coming off anyway as you are likely to talk yourself into refreshing the bearings, rings and everything else...

Good luck

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I would be inclined to pull the front cover first. It is more likely the freeze plug then the head gasket and that would be the easier/cheaper of the two to fix.

If it turns out the head has to come off and it is a block/liner issue, the front cover will be coming off anyway as you are likely to talk yourself into refreshing the bearings, rings and everything else...

Good luck
was actually out working in the shop tonight and took the hood off, started spraying bolts with parts blaster to soak and got to thinking the same about doing the cover first. Wasn't sure if it was possible that way but may try to figure it out. ive got the parts manual too but can seem to find/make out what section to look at for where and how man frost plugs exist. Ill keep trying to figure it out though.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is no freeze/frost plugs under the front cover, it's possible that cover #16 and/or gasket #17 are bad, but that looks to be the only place for the possibility of water leakage under the front cover.

Also go to Kubotabooks.com and download the 3 part WSM for the B7100 it will give you a lot more details than the parts manual. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
Thanks. I already downloaded and my boss let me print the service manual. Was checking that out earlier too.

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
what is that plugs purpose on number 16 , number 17?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It could be one of a few things:
Just a port that they used for casting then milled and capped.
Used for options for an industrial or marine use motor.
If you note, your B7100 has no water pump, so could be a port that they use when the motor is equipped with a water pump.