B7100 Injector Leak

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
I am a new owner of an old B7100 which has been neglected and has a few issues. The first issue I am attempting to tackle is a leaking center injector (or injection nozzle?) , it looks like it is leaking about half way down but I can't be absolutely certain it isn't coming from the fuel line connection. My first instinct was to attempt to snug everything up but I figured with my luck I better do my homework before I tackle this one. What are the potential causes of this and how should I go about isolating the problem?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!
Checking to see if there is room to snug shouldn't hurt anything, as long as you don't go wild- when things are tight, it can be easy to twist the line. Otherwise, if it is tight, remove the line and see if you can tell what's going on.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The injector has several stages that could be loose.
Carefully start at the up and loosen the fuel fitting and then work down the fitting checking for any loose sections, the top ring with the lines coming off of it (overflow bypass) is very easy to crack so keep it from spinning when tightening the rest up.

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
Thanks fellas

I took the fuel fitting off the top and checked the seat, also checked each section to ensure they were not obviously loose, given the angle and all of the obstructions I was not able to put too much force on them. Put it all back together and fired it up - still leaking.

I am about 90% sure the leak is coming from the second nut up from the bottom. How should I proceed?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you need to pull it out clean it check for cracks or anything else.
It's a wedge or taper fit so it's got to be clean and fairly tight!

Here is what it looks like broken down.

B7100 Injector.JPG

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
Thanks for the diagram.

So here is the approach I am thinking, let me know if this sounds correct

1) Remove fuel line completely
2) Remove nut that secures overflow connector
3) Get a deep well socket on the base and remove entire injector

Do I need any replacement washers or is the injector sealed entirely by tapered threads?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep sound like you've go it!
Yes its all sealed by taper fit, no washers.

curlycarroll

Equipment
B7100HST with RC60-71HR deck, B7100DP 1999
Jun 26, 2011
Near London UK
I shall be very interested to hear the outcome of this as I have exactly the same problem on my UK spec. B7100 HST. I'll have to look closely at the injectors and nozzles on my tractor as I have just ordered a new set of the copper gaskets that they sit in as I assumed it was these that were the cause of the leak. I love this site.

Curly

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
I had a similar issue with the two injectors ,last one was a real persistant leaker, didnt want to stress out the fittings or fuel lines etc so i decided best plan was to check the fittings first , if snug, not to try tightening any further instead remove the whole injector and then refit and nip up the connections.
worked a treat.

just my solution.

Hi andy, merry xmas to you sir, have sent you a PM.

rob

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
I got the offending injector out and disassembled it, everything inside looks like it is in really good shape. I was expecting to find some issue but I guess it is just a matter of the joint between the two main sections of the injector not being tight enough.

Any idea of how much torque should be used to assemble the injector? I know it is 30-36 lb/ft on the injector to the head but what about the top section of the injector to the bottom?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you don't have it yet go to Kubotabooks.com and download the Owners manual, the service manual, and the parts manual, a huge wealth of information in all of them!
I'm sure it has the proper specs for the injectors in there, I just got mine tight and it worked fine, but you may need to torque your down tighter to get them to seal, do it in a vice and not in the head.;)

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
Thanks for the link to the manuals

I got the leak sorted out.

I was worried about breaking something so I used plenty of penetrating oil and really took my time taking it apart. In my case I needed to get the center injector out, I quickly realized that removing the front injector fuel line, side cover and air cleaner would make things much easier.

The only real issue I had was getting the injector out of the head, I ended up using an impact gun out of fear that I would snap it off in the head. There is a copper washer between the injector and the head, I didn't realize this until it was too late to get the part so I put the old one back in and managed to get it to seal. I used 36 lb/ft of torque for mating the two sections of the injector and for putting the injector into the head. I read where some people couldn't get a seal with the specified torque and had to go up to 50-60, this could be from not cleaning and oiling the threads prior to torquing them in place.