B7100 Hydraulic pump swaps

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I ordered the wrong new filter, I hate it when you screw up ordering parts. I ordered the one for the Hydrostat version of this tractor. I also ordered all the "O" rings, I will get them tomorrow (since they are so close, ground delivery is same as overnight).

The pump was cleaned up after messing with it for a long time trying to get it to fit. I am hoping new "O" rings and filter will fix the issue.
It should do it.

If you have any worries out of your hose connection, simply put a second set of hose clamps on it, but I don't think that's your issue.

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
Wolfman, I am back. I got the correct filter today, I bought all the right o rings and I cleaned everything off reinstalled the o rings in their groves, carefully put it all together and it still is sucking air. The lift is awesome. It has never had this much power before! I hooked my mower to the 3 point, thinking that maybe more weight would help, nope.

I did not change the pressure line copper crush washers. I did buy them, but I figured since I don't see any leaks there, I didn't want to mess with it.

I guess I could add another clamp to the rubber hose.

The arms still won't go down without turning the tractor off.

Any other ideas?

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
FIXED IT. It was simple. There was some air or pressure or something stuck in the gear reduction unit. I relieved the pressure on the quick connect ball on the rubber hose, lots of air squirted out and some fluid and it goes up and down just fine now. I went out and mowed off some weeds to try it out. Thank you for all your help!

A side question, do you have any idea how this gear reduction unit works? I have never used it and I have never seen my tractor move with it. Just curious.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've never seen or worked on the reduction units, I can't even find any "paperwork" on them.

I would like to know more for future reference.

I think this is the reason your plumbing is so different than all the other models.
I think a lot of the parts were customised for that add on of the gear reduction unit.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've never seen or worked on the reduction units, I can't even find any "paperwork" on them.

I would like to know more for future reference.
I second that- if anyone has any experience with one of these, please post.

Jerry Martin

Jul 15, 2013
Luck. WI
Well, it is installed and short story: it probably wasn't worth the time and money. That said, this would be an excellent and economic replacement for a worn-out pump, if they happen to be available when you need one.

Longer version: I've been checking the WHP website periodically and the other day things changed from 80 on order, 0 in stock to 63 on order, 1 in stock. So I snapped it up. They shipped it by DHL and it arrived from England in 3 or 4 days.

Before installing, I did some loader work moving snow piles to warm up the fluid. Then I checked the cycle time: 4 cycles of the lift arms from bottom to top and back down again took 63 seconds -- just a hair under 16 seconds per cycle. After installation the same 4 cycles took 51 seconds, or about 13 seconds per cycle. Better, yes, but less than 20% faster -- hardly the twice-as-fast I was hoping for by swapping in a 6 gpm pump for the stock 3 gpm unit.

Installation was reasonably straight-forward, except for the one nut at the top outboard corner. That one was a mother and required some customization of a 12mm wrench with a torch and grinder.

The plumbing outlets were fairly close to the stock location. The hard-piped outlet was 4mm further from the flange and the inlet is on rubber hoses anyway so the deviation was easily handled. For the outlet, I loosened the bolt securing the hydraulic block to the engine about 1/4", connected the banjo to the pump, then tightened the hydraulic block back up to draw the pipe into place.

Here's some pics comparing the original pump with its bigger replacement:

And one of the new pump installed:

Jerry Martin

Jul 15, 2013
Luck. WI
Well, it is installed and short story: it probably wasn't worth the time and money. That said, this would be an excellent and economic replacement for a worn-out pump, if they happen to be available when you need one.

Longer version: I've been checking the WHP website periodically and the other day things changed from 80 on order, 0 in stock to 63 on order, 1 in stock. So I snapped it up. They shipped it by DHL and it arrived from England in 3 or 4 days.

Before installing, I did some loader work moving snow piles to warm up the fluid. Then I checked the cycle time: 4 cycles of the lift arms from bottom to top and back down again took 63 seconds -- just a hair under 16 seconds per cycle. After installation the same 4 cycles took 51 seconds, or about 13 seconds per cycle. Better, yes, but less than 20% faster -- hardly the twice-as-fast I was hoping for by swapping in a 6 gpm pump for the stock 3 gpm unit.

Installation was reasonably straight-forward, except for the one nut at the top outboard corner. That one was a mother and required some customization of a 12mm wrench with a torch and grinder.

The plumbing outlets were fairly close to the stock location. The hard-piped outlet was 4mm further from the flange and the inlet is on rubber hoses anyway so the deviation was easily handled. For the outlet, I loosened the bolt securing the hydraulic block to the engine about 1/4", connected the banjo to the pump, then tightened the hydraulic block back up to draw the pipe into place.

I have a question about the installation of this pump as I ordered one , came and I believe they sent me the wrong one or they assembled it backwards?

Do you have a part number for the one in the picture. I ordered one and it is the exact opposite.

I ordered one and I think I received the wrong one, as the Inlet is on the bottom and not the top

I received one of these and the inlet is on the bottom. I need to verify the part number you used when you ordered as mine is not correct. Appreciate the assist.

Thanks,
Jerry

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The one that fit my B7100 was part number: 5P1/41041GPO description: GPO120R EQUIVALENT GEAR PUMP (The R stands for right hand rotation.)

The one that was opposite of what I needed, and is suitable for a gear-driven such as a later B8200 was part number: 5P1/41040GPO description: GPO120L EQUIVALENT GEAR PUMP (The L stands for left hand rotation.)

From your picture, I'd say you have the second (left hand) one.

What machine do you have?

Jerry Martin

Jul 15, 2013
Luck. WI
The one that fit my B7100 was part number: 5P1/41041GPO description: GPO120R EQUIVALENT GEAR PUMP (The R stands for right hand rotation.)

The one that was opposite of what I needed, and is suitable for a gear-driven such as a later B8200 was part number: 5P1/41040GPO description: GPO120L EQUIVALENT GEAR PUMP (The L stands for left hand rotation.)

From your picture, I'd say you have the second (left hand) one.

What machine do you have?
B7100