b7100 hst transmission noise

evan4434

Equipment
B7100 HST
Mar 19, 2010
Kellogg,IA,USA
My B7100 hst transmission is making a loud banging noise backing up down a hill, and sometimes in forward from a start. I can feel it in the foot pedal as well. It only does it when not much pressure is on the drivetrain.

Any ideas?

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
That could be a lot of things, none of them good.

I'd start with checking exposed drive line components and see if you have a bad yoke or something. My W.A.G. is that it's not the pump but something being driven by the pump. Since you say it improves once under load, I'd guess something is lose and binds up once you pick a direction and get underway.

You might try jacking the drive wheels free of the ground and manually rotating to see if you can make the noise.

Unlike wine, it won't improve with time. You run the risk of doing additional damage until you locate and fix the problem.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
X2. You need to diagnose and fix before you continue using it.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
In or out of 4WD? perhaps a bad U-joint on the front drive shaft?
Look underneath, grab the front-drive shaft and shake it up/down left/right, at the front and at the rear joints

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
In or out of 4WD? perhaps a bad U-joint on the front drive shaft?
Look underneath, grab the front-drive shaft and shake it up/down left/right, at the front and at the rear joints
That's a good place to look, and it could make noise in both 2 and 4WD- the driveshaft turns all the time.

evan4434

Equipment
B7100 HST
Mar 19, 2010
Kellogg,IA,USA
Well just checked it, and sure enough the front drive shaft is missing the pin that holds it onto the transmission right on the yoke/shaft.

evan4434

Equipment
B7100 HST
Mar 19, 2010
Kellogg,IA,USA
Well just checked it, and sure enough the front drive shaft is missing the pin that holds it onto the transmission right on the yoke/shaft.
Man finding part diagrams is a pain for these tractors.

What size is that pin that holds they yolk onto the transmission?

Also there is a steel tube (shaft protector) over the front driveshaft. The front of that tube has a rubber boot on it. The back of the tube is missing what would appear to be another rubber boot all that is left is a round spring on the driveshaft. What should be here as well?

Thank you

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Glad you found it. Best of luck on the parts.

evan4434

Equipment
B7100 HST
Mar 19, 2010
Kellogg,IA,USA
I read the entire thread you sent, and it was somewhat helpful. I need to know the size of the roll pin? Also what goes on the other side of the driveshaft cover. I noticed in the photo's on the thread you posted his boot was missing on the transmission side as well.

Thank you for the help.