B7100 HST Grinding Noise

P0larbear

Nov 20, 2015
Richmond, VA
Hello everyone,

Last night I purchased a 7100hst from a guy locally. It has sat outside for a few years and looks rough but runs great. When moving the tractor a noise is heard coming from the rear of the unit. It only occurs when first starting off. If you throttle up the noise also goes away. I am wondering what this could possibly be and don't want to move the tractor until I have too. When pushing in the clutch it also makes a grinding noise. Any ideas on what these could be?

Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello everyone,

Last night I purchased a 7100hst from a guy locally. It has sat outside for a few years and looks rough but runs great. When moving the tractor a noise is heard coming from the rear of the unit. It only occurs when first starting off. If you throttle up the noise also goes away. I am wondering what this could possibly be and don't want to move the tractor until I have too. When pushing in the clutch it also makes a grinding noise. Any ideas on what these could be?

Thanks!
clutch noise may be a throwout bearing.......is it a 4 bolt pattern front rim or 6 bolt?

look carefully at the rear rims, see a 2 digit number stamped on the rim?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Does your machine have a mid mount mower? When you push in the clutch are you putting the mower in engagement? Is noise there when in HI, LOW or NEUTRAL?

"From rear of unit..." Can you determine more closely where the noise if from?

Remove the 4 thumbscrews on the side of the cover over the drive shaft/hydrostat area. (will be between your legs as you set in the seat).

See if noise is louder. LOOK to SEE (don't get you fingers in there) if shaft has movement sideways when in gear and running. (By visually inspecting, not touching). You may see shaft oscillating back and forth a "tad".

Could be a bad joint between drive shaft and hyd. transmission.