B7100 Front screen (radiator)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How the hell do you keep it clean? I have been cutting grass with my new to me B7100, and it runs and cuts like a champ.....but dayum, I have to hop off and check the front end screen like 3 times an hour....clogged up with grass to the point that I know the ol' girl is gonna die of overheating the syphon system !

not sure what to do to fix the problem, anyone else have this problem???

ideas?

Attachments

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Yeah, me too! I keep my Stihl blower handy and blow it out, they overheat quick when mowing.

Big Kahuna

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yeah, me too! I keep my Stihl blower handy and blow it out, they overheat quick when mowing.

Big Kahuna

if i leave the tractor running the grass is sucked BACK on that screen like hair on an apes ass!!!!!!!:D:D:D:eek:

got to be a way to slow it down????

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
The fan doesn't blow the air to the front ? May want to try a reverse rotation blade. A lot of machines out there push the air out.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The fan doesn't blow the air to the front ? May want to try a reverse rotation blade. A lot of machines out there push the air out.

koja,

good point, here is what scares me about that, the grass would get pulled around the inside and there would be no real way to see it clogged up.

needs to be a screen down low that deflects the loose grass......the suction is right powerful, anything swirling in the air get plastered on the screen now

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Someone discussed this tool the other day.

http://www.radiatorgenie.com/default.asp

I have started to put the cheap (blue usually) air conditioning filter in front of the screen. Pull it out and shake it out or replace it as needed. Works well but on mine it is a tight fit and I have to usually cut off the cardboard frame to get it in front of the screen

Got that suggestion off here too.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Maybe one of the new style grill guards might block some of it ? Take a look at the new BX . If not then perhaps make one using expanded metal.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Someone discussed this tool the other day.

http://www.radiatorgenie.com/default.asp

I have started to put the cheap (blue usually) air conditioning filter in front of the screen. Pull it out and shake it out or replace it as needed. Works well but on mine it is a tight fit and I have to usually cut off the cardboard frame to get it in front of the screen

Got that suggestion off here too.

Russell,

not to steal their thunder, but out on my shop I have a long (24") air nozzle that I had flattened the end out and use it to blow stuff out of tight places!
That tool you showed was very neat - the hooked end is ideal!

I guess I am looking for a way that will deflect the incoming air, the vacuum is very strong up on the front - I notice a lot of B7100 owners dont have the square mesh screen that comes from the factory, their radiators must get covered quickly!:eek:

I had an old lowes riding mower a long time ago - the top of the engine would get clogged with grass, I found one of my kids old sand castle buckets and cut 20 percent out of one face and placed it on top, the grass never got in the engine again!

Need to find something that I can filter the air before it get up under the bottom of the radiator - or redirect the air ...........mmmmm

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Put a continually rotating belt of 'screen door' material on a pair of rollers powered by a small 12V motor. The belt would run the junk off to drop down to the ground, especially if you had a brush against it on the bottom roller. Just make up a frame, wood or metal, and off you go.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Hi 85Hokie..
You might try fabricating a small frame (3 sides) for one of those metal air filters from a range hood (available at any home center). There ridged and with a frame around them you could easily slide it in & out of your fabricated frame in seconds. Your frame could be a small piece of aluminum channel also available at the home center, where they sell loose nuts and bolts dept.
If your clogging problem is that severe I'd give-it a shot. Just my 2c's;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi 85Hokie..
You might try fabricating a small frame (3 sides) for one of those metal air filters from a range hood (available at any home center). There ridged and with a frame around them you could easily slide it in & out of your fabricated frame in seconds. Your frame could be a small piece of aluminum channel also available at the home center, where they sell loose nuts and bolts dept.
If your clogging problem is that severe I'd give-it a shot. Just my 2c's;)

Fly,

that was a thought that i had too, I need to make a cardboard template and duct tape it in there to see if it will make a difference. Attaching the metal will be the hard part, despite the screen getting full of cut grass, there is grass that is sucked up UNDER the screen and gets into the radiator, bottom of radiator is clogged good too.

I need to find some time and do the math. I will make the template and get back a picture, ifn it works! :D

thanks for the idea!

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Fly,

that was a thought that i had too, I need to make a cardboard template and duct tape it in there to see if it will make a difference. Attaching the metal will be the hard part, despite the screen getting full of cut grass, there is grass that is sucked up UNDER the screen and gets into the radiator, bottom of radiator is clogged good too.

I need to find some time and do the math. I will make the template and get back a picture, ifn it works! :D

thanks for the idea!
Don't over-think this....it's really easy.

Use aluminum channel, (probably 1/4 or 3/8, 1/2 might be too large")drill a 3/8 hole on the outside of the angle and hole on the inside of the angle large enough to pass a (1/4 or 3/8 # 6 screw) thru. I'd personally use stainless. 2 screws in each piece of the 3 channels (1 top & 1 bottom).
Screw the channels directly to the screen of the radiator cover and it's done. 1 caveat cut the aluminum to the size of the filter you select. AND slide the filter in from either the right or left side.
Total cost should be around $20.00 depending on the size of the filter.;)

henrysbe

Equipment
l3400 woods bh80 backhoe post hole digger brush hog box blade rototiller
Jun 26, 2011
Sedro Woolley wa
I was frustrated with the same problem as the field doesn't have compressed air. I ended up buying a Ego blower from Home Depot. This is a 56 volt battery operated blower and I can take it with me on jobs. Don't have to worry about gas but have to keep battery charged. Works well for me.:)