B7100 CAB build

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
With the FEL complete, I need a cab to shelter from the blowing snow that will soon be here. This is going to be tight, so rather than trying to draft up something carved in stone, I just sketched out some rough ideas and bought some 1" lightwall square tube, finalizing the design as I'm building it.

Starting with supporting the rear corners and framing around the fenders:

I brought that to the group of provided frame mounting holes in front of the rear fender. Just enough clearance for the differential lock!

The rear is supported by the PTO shroud. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$, but it's pretty beefy.

The front can be supported by my FEL support. I hung it off the bottom so it won't interfere with removing the FEL itself.

Here it is roughed in. I still haven't decided if I'm going to leave the door openings that wide, or narrow them down a bit at the front. I plan on suicide doors and the upright at the seat is positioned so the fender cut-out of the door will still clear the tire when the door is swung wide open.

The lower front will be particularly challenging:

The steering arm bend takes up a lot of real estate as it travels from lock to lock, and the clutch pedal just complicates matters:

Similarly, the support on the starboard side has to thread the brake pedals and throttle:

(just hit the pictures-per-post limit, so To Be Continued...)

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
And finally, the hood:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Looks like ya got a good handle on it,, keep your stick on the ice ;)

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I don't think I could have the patience to build something that in depth.
For me, I think it's a kind of therapy. First of all, I deal with destruction all day; this is creative. Second, I can work at my own pace, with no pressure to make critical decisions based on inadequate information and insufficient time to fully consider all possible alternatives. And most importantly, nobody dies if I get it wrong the first time. I can just whip out the grinder and call a mulligan. :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Torch, it doesn't have to be perfect.

You want to keep the wind off of you when out in the winter weather. You make it too tight and you will need a heater and defroster to be able to see outside. The more you do, the more you have to do!

You don't have to make it so tight you can brag about how nice it is in there during a storm by wearing your skivvies!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Lookin' good! What's the switch right above to hour meter?

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You don't have to make it so tight you can brag about how nice it is in there during a storm by wearing your skivvies!
Yeah. I had a soft cab on the old green tractor for blowing snow so I know it makes a big difference not getting a face full of snow every time the wind shifts. No heat and I was fine. I have to get dressed up to go outside and start it anyway, right? I think it would be different if I was in there all day blowing drives out for a living, but I'm just out there for a couple of hours.

Lookin' good! What's the switch right above to hour meter?
The switch above the hour meter is for the 4-way flashers on the rear fenders. I plan to relocate those to the sides of the cab at roof level. There's an empty spot where older models had a decompression release that I plan to populate with a switch for roof-level LED rear work lighting. And replace the existing tail light with a pair of red LED lights halfway up the cab on the rear. I will replace the headlights with LEDs in the hood and at roof level as well. Hopefully replacing the inefficient incandescent bulbs will free up enough amps from the anemic dynamo to handle the increased number of fixtures.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The switch above the hour meter is for the 4-way flashers
Figured it was something like that.
There's an empty spot where older models had a decompression release
Yup, got one of them older models. (1979)

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Well, I've run into a bit of a snag.

I finished up some bits of welding, and started to close it in. I installed riv-nuts in the square tube to secure the plexiglass panels.

The roof is just a piece of plywood. For the moment, I covered it with a piece of polytarp, but the plan is to fiberglass it in the future.

I cut and drilled several pieces of plexiglass, and started to hang them. This is nice 1/4" thick free stuff I lucked into. Bonus!

But then I peeled the paper off the first panel...

...and discovered it's frosted on one side! ARRRGGGGH.

I guess that's why it was free.

It's a texture on the surface. I wonder if I can polish it out. Not likely good enough for a windshield, but maybe enough for the side panels and doors. Otherwise, I guess I have to bite the bullet and pay for new stuff.

Rats.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ok, after experimenting on some off-cuts, I think I've got it.

Wet sanding with 1000 grit paper on a random orbit sander makes it see-through. Like a dirty wet windshield. Following that with a 3000 grit pad on the same sander clears it up a lot -- like a smoker's windshield. A final treatment with PlastX plastic polish on a buffer makes it pretty much as clear as, well, glass. Left side is "after", right side "before":

Whew! Crisis averted...

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I guess that's why it was free.
Been there, done that! Was given a large amount of teflon bearing material for a project I was building- turns out it was glass-impregnated teflon; useless for my purposes.
Nice recovery on your window material!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Shouldn't be a problem... put it in the cab and turn on... the defroster!
It never fails,OTT has all the answers. Love it.
By the way,LC -how long you been waiting to use that reply? Awesome!!

When i saw the frosted plexi, i figured it was game over, i figured polishing it would be more throble than it was worth. Proved its not the case. Good save.

Nice view,by the way.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Yup, I think this is going to work out fine. Both side panels and the windshield are done, working on the rear window now.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Looks great and very familiar! Your frame is almost exactly the same as the one I built. Nice job so far, you're going to love it even more than you think you will. It's by far the best investment for a tractor in a cold climate. Keep the updates coming.