B7001 steering broken

DuckInn

Equipment
B7001. 4WD. Manual shift & steering. FEL
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
B7001 (Serial # 17520).
My steering is broken. Turn steering wheel and front tires may or may not turn. This tractor has had the steering box replaced at least twice, - apparently a weak point.
Could someone please provide the part number for the steering box, and say if the number is the same as the B7100?

Where can I get a parts manual for the B7001? I only have the manual for B7100.
Thanks!

Last edited:

tsp159

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 8, 2023
Fort Bend Texas
It should be the same as the B7100D/E. Some early B7100 models were serialized as B7001. The ball screw may be all boogered up. I have a "parts" tractor that is in the same situation, where the steering shaft backs off from the box when I turn it, no steering actuation at all.

I'm told the use of a FEL is what really stresses the box out, because folks will crank on the steering wheel while motionless after picking up a load. Puts a ton of torque into the box and wears things out quickly.

Some folks have actually hacked power steering systems into older B7100 tractors using readily available aftermarket valves and cylinders. There's some fab necessary to set the column and mount the cylinder to the chassis, but definitely do-able!

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It should be the same as the B7100D/E. Some early B7100 models were serialized as B7001. The ball screw may be all boogered up. I have a "parts" tractor that is in the same situation, where the steering shaft backs off from the box when I turn it, no steering actuation at all.

I'm told the use of a FEL is what really stresses the box out, because folks will crank on the steering wheel while motionless after picking up a load. Puts a ton of torque into the box and wears things out quickly.

Some folks have actually hacked power steering systems into older B7100 tractors using readily available aftermarket valves and cylinders. There's some fab necessary to set the column and mount the cylinder to the chassis, but definitely do-able!
Hi tsp159. Thanks for the response and tips. Yes - I was aware of the perils of wrestling the steering with a loaded FEL.... though in some tight spots it's necessary. The steering failure feels different this time - not totally loose. Maybe we'll get lucky and the fix will be to tighten up the screw.
Do you know where to get a B7001 parts manual in English? (I saw one in French - not useful for me)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi tsp159. Thanks for the response and tips. Yes - I was aware of the perils of wrestling the steering with a loaded FEL.... though in some tight spots it's necessary. The steering failure feels different this time - not totally loose. Maybe we'll get lucky and the fix will be to tighten up the screw.
Do you know where to get a B7001 parts manual in English? (I saw one in French - not useful for me)
There isn't one, just use the B7100D, it's all the same parts with the exception of the output of the PTO.

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
There isn't one, just use the B7100D, it's all the same parts with the exception of the output of the PTO.
Thanks, Wolfman. Hopefully the steering parts I’ll need will this time are the same as B7100D’s.
BTW I’ve found that the upper TPH arm pins are also different between B7001 and B7100.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks, Wolfman. Hopefully the steering parts I’ll need will this time are the same as B7100D’s.
BTW I’ve found that the upper TPH arm pins are also different between B7001 and B7100.
Picture?