Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Re: Backhoe rebuild

A PM question & answer:

"hello my friend , reread your write up on rebuild and could not find where you ordered your hoses BUT my real question is on my old hoses (30years easy) they are mixed with 3/8 hose BUT 1/4 npt fittings the BOOK calls for 1/4 hose and 1/4 npt fittings on all but cushion valve and supply from pump sooo, did you just use the 1/4 " hose where called for or is there a reason to up it to 3/8 hose even though 1/4 fitting ?
also I found a "surplus center " in NE that has all the hoses premade for cheap but the rateing is only 2700 # 1 wire construction the units relief is 1600 # seems ok ?
lastly the orings you posted are very helpful thanks again"

"I used 1/4" hose with 1/4" fittings everywhere except for the two cushion valve hoses, pump high & low sides, & the return from valve body to oil filter. Sounds like yours had been "modified".
I bought all but two of the hoses from Northern Tools & Surplus Center, Surplus was cheaper, but I didn't find them till after I placed the Northern order. The pressure rating is fine, probably far higher than the original ones. The two hoses for the cushion valve (1/4" one end, 3/8" on the other, 1/4" hose) I had made at a local hydraulic hose shop."

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Another PM question & answer:

"I really wanted to thank you for posting everything you have regarding the B670 rebuild. I wish I had the equipment and knowledge that you do as my hoe needs as much work as yours and maybe more!
In your rebuild of the valve control is there a certain o ring material that I should buy over another....Viton,Silicone,Polyurethane,etc,etc?
Also, in one of the pictures of your hoe rebuild I see a chain, is that used to lock up the hoe? And if so where do you have all of your attach points if you don't mind my asking? My hoe will start drifting down and dragging within 5 minuets if I am running around on the tractor and I have to keep reaching back and hitting the lever to bring it back up and also curl the bucket up. Even the FEl bucket won't stay curled up for long before it starts to fade....not sure if it's all related or not as I am new to all this Orange!"

"Viton should be all you need, it's far superior to the original rubber rings.
I have a chain with a small lever type load binder that runs from the highest point on the hoe (hooks around the "eye" of the cylinder ram with a big hook) and on to a metal loop that is bolted to the top of my roll bar. All B670s drift down as near as I can tell, & I got tired of running the PTO, the pump, and having to reach back to yank the lever constantly. I also have a chain with a couple of hooks to keep the stabilizers up, but they only drift down when storing with the hoe off the tractor.
My FEL has never drifted much unless left with a heavy load, but doesn't drift at all now with the cylinders rebuilt."

The pics below show my "keeper" chain that keeps the backhoe from drifting down under it's own weight, the attachment point on the ROPS, & the chain I use the keep the stabilizers up during storage.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

The originator of this thread, morson82, sent me this factory drawing of the B670. I had to reduce it greatly to post it here, but if anyone needs a full size version, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send a copy.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Got an e-mail from a B670 owner, (apparently he got my address from the local Kubota parts guy who remembered I had a B670) who had seen this thread. He noticed the oil filter on mine is larger than the one on his, and wanted to know what filter I used. I know there is a Kubota number for the filter listed in the manual, but mine came with, & I've always used, a PH8A. (probably the most common older oil filter out there) He never responded with the filter number he uses, but it got me to wondering…
Might be nice to have a backup number, I assume that some other filters would work.
What oil filter do other B670 owners use?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

The originator of this thread, morson82, sent me this factory drawing of the B670. I had to reduce it greatly to post it here, but if anyone needs a full size version, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send a copy.
Contact NIW. Think he knows who can put files like this onto Kubotabooks

DaveB6200

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6200 with sloppy worn FEL.
Apr 3, 2015
Cromwell, Connecticut

Got an e-mail from a B670 owner, (apparently he got my address from the local Kubota parts guy who remembered I had a B670) who had seen this thread. He noticed the oil filter on mine is larger than the one on his, and wanted to know what filter I used. I know there is a Kubota number for the filter listed in the manual, but mine came with, & I've always used, a PH8A. (probably the most common older oil filter out there) He never responded with the filter number he uses, but it got me to wondering***8230;
Might be nice to have a backup number, I assume that some other filters would work.
What oil filter do other B670 owners use?

I went to Napa and they were able to use this old Napa number to give me an up to date number.....at work right now and can't check machine but will later. Bottom left corner of attachment shows old filter numbers from way back when.

AC - PF2
APCO - KF-1/APH-8A
FRAM - PH8A
HASTINGS - P115
NAPA - 1015
PUROLATOR - PER-1
WIX - PC-15

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Thanks DaveB6200! Exactly what I was hoping for. I have two PDF manuals for this hoe, and the one I usually look at is missing that page- never thought to compare the two side by side.:eek::rolleyes:

DaveB6200

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6200 with sloppy worn FEL.
Apr 3, 2015
Cromwell, Connecticut

Thanks DaveB6200! Exactly what I was hoping for. I have two PDF manuals for this hoe, and the one I usually look at is missing that page- never thought to compare the two side by side.:eek::rolleyes:
Glad I was able to help you for a change!:)

Jtub

Equipment
B7100, Fl850, B670, B219
Jul 20, 2015
Yakima, Wa.

Lil Foot, Morson82;

Ty, ty, ty. Getting ready to start 670 pin and bushing rebuild. You guys have provided me a wealth of info. Have owned since new and way past time. My little tractor could be a poster child for Kubota toughness. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Wow, owned since new? That's got to be some kind of record for one of these!
Glad the info is useful.:)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Many years ago, there was a product available at virtually any auto parts store that was essentially a slip-on flexible, finned heat sink for oil filters, as shown in the pic below. They were cheap ($3-$4) and came in several sizes for various oil filters. I thought I might put one on the PH8A oil filter on my B670, but, alas, they are apparently no longer made. I have found similar products to fit Harley oil filters. (too small & $30-$90) I don't know how effective it would have been, but it probably would not have hurt, and might have actually shed a few degrees. My question is- does anyone know where one might find one of these without mortgaging my place in the mountains?

Attachments

Jtub

Equipment
B7100, Fl850, B670, B219
Jul 20, 2015
Yakima, Wa.

Great idea. Will keep eyes open. Not sure oil spends enough time in filter to do too much. Plus no real air movement back there. Couldn't hurt tho.

Originally I had 48 inch mid mount mower for tractor. $3400 new.
Tractor and mower.

Last edited:

Jtub

Equipment
B7100, Fl850, B670, B219
Jul 20, 2015
Yakima, Wa.

Also am assuming I just start peeling hoe from bucket on in. Not as strong as I used to be. Lol. Good opportunity for re-paint at same time.