B6200 and post knocker

Nickhixon

Equipment
B6200
Sep 30, 2015
Uk
Hi
Hope someone can help I have a b6200 and have bought a post knocker for it,the rear arms pick it up no problems at all but the hydrolics will only lift the weight half way and stop? Even on full revs,I have changed oils and done the filter on the pick up pipe,if I push up the weight if is like power assisted and stays up .i can use it like this as it still works but it should lift to the top !!!
The post knocker is a od ale if that helps with ideas
Would anyone have any ideas
Thanks for reading

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
With the weight all the way up, check the hyd oil level. Your tractor may simply not have enough oil capacity to run it...

Nickhixon

Equipment
B6200
Sep 30, 2015
Uk
checked oil level and all ok even changed the oil and cleaned filter!! use the super udt oil ,the ram is only small so about 8 inches to push out with the oil,would think a lot smaller than a tipping trailer?? should oil level be checked when lift arms down or up thanks nick

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
Does your 3 point lift other implements all the way up?

Nickhixon

Equipment
B6200
Sep 30, 2015
Uk
the arms will pick up no problems ,but the post knocker mi=overs about 1/2 way then stops , if you push it up it stays up and is easy to lift ??
but it want lift on its own???
thanks

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Welcome to the forum!
Does your 3 point lift other implements all the way up?
the arms will pick up no problems ,but the post knocker moves about 1/2 way then stops , if you push it up it stays up and is easy to lift ??
but it want lift on its own???
thanks
Hi Nickhixon. When you say it will "pick up no problems", what are you picking up? Tell us the implements you can lift with it.

If you hadn't said you've changed the oil and filter I would have thought you had air in the lines. Actually, what you describe sounds like that -- particularly as you can lift it by hand and it stays up.

Have you tried using it after thoroughly warming up the tractor? I mean, give it a real workout, not just warm enough to start without using glowplugs so that all the gear and hydro oils are warm.

When it stops lifting, do you hear any noises from the hydraulic system or the pump? Engine straining?

Also, please tell us the model of the Oxdale Post Knocker you have.

Pics always help!

Oh, by the way -- is this a traditional post knocker, or is it like a pile-driver?

Nickhixon

Equipment
B6200
Sep 30, 2015
Uk
Picture attached of post knocker,do these tractors have a pressure relief valve at all , it as if it runs out of steam before reaching filling the ram properly .when I say it picks up ok I mean it will lift the knocker ok.the engine does labour as if it is really trying

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have either the lack of proper flow or pressure.
I would need to know the specs of what the driver requires in order to answer that for you.
That is a fairly small tractor to run a post driver, most post drivers require a larger tractor.
How do you have it hooked to the hydraulics?
It could be just bypassing fluid through a pressure relief valve, tee a pressure gauge off of the feed line and see what pressure it's feeding it.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Nick, is this attachment new? The Oxdale Website says: "Suitable for smaller tractor." As NIW points out, your B may have less capacity than the knocker requires.

That being said, it occurs to me that it may be starving for fluid -- what did you do to purge the system of air?

Nickhixon

Equipment
B6200
Sep 30, 2015
Uk
I have hooked up to the hydrolics mounted on the mud guarde and using the bypass valve under the seat ,it starts well but just fades out.i have not purged the system at all and how can I ,the item was used when I bought it. I have released the one end of ram and then the tractor pushes it out when no load on it ,where would I fine relief valves?oxdale say it needs about 1250 psi which the tractor should be doing easy according to spec sheet !!!

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Someone else will have to help with the relief valve, I dunno 'bout that. That is probably the source of your problem.

Since it was a used implement, I expect it was full of fluid. Generally the easiest way to purge a system is to use exercise it while it's warm, to its limits -- all the way out, back in, (or up, down) several times, and keeping an eye on the fluid level to make sure it doesn't get low and suck air.

When you lift the knocker by hand, does it free-fall the way you expect? And I suppose you've tried lifting it immediately after you manually lifted it up and dropped it -- it still stalled halfway up?

FWIW, since yours is easy to lift to the top when it stalls, you could warm it up then lift the knocker 'till it stalls, push it up by hand, check the fluid level, then drop it and raise it -- manually assisting -- several times to try to purge some air. That wouldn't have a high cost -- a bit of time and a little sweat. But the check valve seems to be a more likely suspect.

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
The true definitive test to have done, is to hook up a flow meter, which measures both GPM, and PSI. Most flow meters also have a load test on them, which will tell you when the relief valve blows. I have an older one, which I use on the old farm tractors, but things have changed enormously since it was made 50-60 years ago. A good tractor shop should have one, and likely would charge you their shop rate X the # of hours it takes them to hook up and test your tractor....:D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
The true definitive test to have done, is to hook up a flow meter, which measures both GPM, and PSI...
I have an older one, which I use on the old farm tractors, but things have changed enormously since it was made 50-60 years ago...
hmm... Is this a "homebuilt" device, or a manufactured one? (Guess it's pretty obvious I'm wondering about cobbling up a flow meter (even though I haven't gotten 'a round-tuit' to putting my new pressure gauge into my tractor's system) to get the final word on the health of my system.)

Now, you trubble maker, I'm going to have to Giggle DIY flow meters and add one more project to my list! <sigh> :D:D:D

Oh, it seems to me that hydraulics haven't changed since ... ever. What's changed that makes your obsolete? Oh! LCD display, right? No, seriously, what features are lacking on the one that was made back then?

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
hmm... Is this a "homebuilt" device, or a manufactured one? (Guess it's pretty obvious I'm wondering about cobbling up a flow meter (even though I haven't gotten 'a round-tuit' to putting my new pressure gauge into my tractor's system) to get the final word on the health of my system.)

Now, you trubble maker, I'm going to have to Giggle DIY flow meters and add one more project to my list! <sigh> :D:D:D

Oh, it seems to me that hydraulics haven't changed since ... ever. What's changed that makes your obsolete? Oh! LCD display, right? No, seriously, what features are lacking on the one that was made back then?
Mine's only good to about 5, maybe 8 GPM. Mine was mfr'd by OTC, made for IH, cost me $100, at auction...