B6100 pto shaft odd size

BobN

Equipment
B6100
Mar 7, 2011
Iowa
Hi, I have owned a B6100 4 wheel gear drive for several years and never needed the PTO until now. The PTO shaft coming out of the transmission is not the standard size, its close but will not fit standard equipment. I've been searching the internet for a correct replacement PTO, but can not find one for sale. Is it easily replaced and does someone have one for sale? Please see the attached photos. Thanks

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Hi, I have owned a B6100 4 wheel gear drive for several years and never needed the PTO until now. The PTO shaft coming out of the transmission is not the standard size, its close but will not fit standard equipment. I've been searching the internet for a correct replacement PTO, but can not find one for sale. Is it easily replaced and does someone have one for sale? Please see the attached photos. Thanks
That seems odd, PTO size is fairly standard world wide, I know of derivations for larger units, but...

I'd try cleaning that one up a bit before giving up. That's pretty dirty and in need of some TLC. You don't want that gunk in your PTO shaft end anyway.

If it's bigger, you can always take it to a machine shop and they can lathe it down to the standard size and you can reinstall it, or you can find an adapter for it but it may cause issues with some PTO driven devices as it might shorten the shaft too much and bind up the U joints.

BobN

Equipment
B6100
Mar 7, 2011
Iowa
Thanks Shaun for the reply. Yes the shaft is dirty, but look at the valleys, they seem to be narrower and have a ridge that is not ordinary. PTO equipment will just begin to go on than stop. I imagine a machine shop may be able to do it, but I'm always shocked at the cost! Is it as simple as removing the bolts on the PTO housing in order to remove it? If so I could always get an estimate.
Thanks

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
Are you depressing the button on the driveshaft of the attachment that your trying to hook up? The fact that it goes on a little and then stops leads me to believe that could be the case.

I've also seen thru-bolts on the end of the driveshaft that have to be removed to install the shaft and then put back on.

If you look closely at the left side of the driveshaft in this link, you'll see the button I'm talking about.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/replacement-pto-shaft-tiller-6-ft-cut

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
BobN,
That is a standard size PTO.
Clean both ends completely as any dirt or caked on grease will make it very hard, also use some penetrating oil on both end to make it easier to get on and off.
and as ctmike said lube up the holding pin or balls.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
^^^ He said balls....
If you really feel the need to spray something on it, light oil seems to work well for me. They are pretty much a fight at the best of times.

BobN

Equipment
B6100
Mar 7, 2011
Iowa
Thank you all for the replies, I've been comparing the PTO shaft on my Kubota to the one on my Farmal H, maybe this is a poor comparison. Tomorrow I'll clean the Kubota shaft really well and try it again.
Thanks

BobN

Equipment
B6100
Mar 7, 2011
Iowa
I want to thank you all for your advice, I could have spent a bunch of time and money replacing the PTO shaft when it wasn't needed! I went to the dollar store and bought a stainless steel bristle brush and held it to the PTO shaft, while it was running, until it shined and with a little encouragement it slid on!!
Thanks again.