B6100 older early 80's? just got need help

Chuckleins

Equipment
B6100
Feb 4, 2015
New Holland, PA
Guys -
1st - thanks for the add to the forum. Hopefully you guys can help me

2nd - we just bought a cabin and with the cabin came an older B6100. Not sure on much about it. Everything seems to work well - saw tractor running.

3rd - want to use this to dig up some food plots for deer. Any idea as to how big a rototiller I can get for the PTO? tractor width is about 44"

4th - need general starting tips, no book or manual with tractor - does anyone have one I can get ahold of?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chuck

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to he forum from Alabama. Got enough snow this year?

Chuckleins

Equipment
B6100
Feb 4, 2015
New Holland, PA
Not too bad - Here in Lancaster County we are usually spared from a lot of snow. Maybe an inch or so on the ground, but colder than normal. I am originally from upstate NY (near Watertown) - we always say that is a good place to be from

Chucknbob

Sep 17, 2014
Cincinnati OH
I have a 6100 as well and love it. Don't let the age and lack of HP fool you, it can do anything the new expensive tractors can.

I do not use a tiller on mine, but based on my knowledge I would use the smallest one possible, probably under 48".

As far as starting, that's easy.
1. Turn the key to the left (opposite how you start it). This warms the glow plugs. depending on the temperature, you may need to hold it there for 30seconds to a minute.
2. Push down the pedal on the left to disengage the clutch and hold it.
3. Put the throttle lever (on the right side) about halfway. Turn the key to the right to engage the starter.

I've started mine multiple times this week in 0 degree weather. It may spit, sputter, smoke, and die if the weather is really cold. Just warm the glow plugs up for another 20-30 seconds and try again. Mine has never failed to start.

When you are done, to shut it down turn the key to off, pull the throttle lever back, and then pull the knob on the left of the steering wheel to release compression and shut it down.

If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"When you are done, to shut it down turn the key to off, pull the throttle lever back, and then pull the knob on the left of the steering wheel to release compression and shut it down."

All the tips on operation are fine, except the bold in this quote.

When the fuel is shut off the engine will stop. That is all that is needed. Only use the compression release (for shutting down) in an emergency, like a run- away engine.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Chuckleins, all good advice, and in particular, D2Cat's. I wish to call your attention to his comment regarding fuel shut-off and point out the device Kubota provides. The pic (in the thumbnail below) shows a fingerhold at the end of the throttle linkage, just above the operator-end of the throttle lever. Reach down with your right hand and feel for it, just below the right side of the dash; lift up on it and hold it while your Kubby stumbles and dies. (Be merciless! :D Shutting down this way prevents damage to valves and piston-tops.)

Attachments

mikenbrew

Equipment
bx22
Aug 8, 2015
Clancy, Montana
Shaunblake,
I've got a B6100 that I'm rebuilding but I'm kind of new at this and wanting to learn. Which method of shut down damages valves and piston tops? And why does this happen?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Shaunblake,
I've got a B6100 that I'm rebuilding but I'm kind of new at this and wanting to learn. Which method of shut down damages valves and piston tops? And why does this happen?
Pulling the compression release (if equipped) to shut it down is bad for the engine! ;)
It allows cold air to be sucked over hot parts! :eek: