B6000 starts up and then dies?

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Hey guys, the B6000 has started and ran just fine up until this point and I was hoping somebody can point me in the direction I need to go to get it back that way.

It has been sitting for a couple of weeks and today I replaced the "head cover packing" p/n 15231-14520 and tightened the head cover back up and started it.

It started just fine but it only ran for a few seconds and died. I repeated that and it did the exact same.

Do I need to "bleed" anything since I took the head cover off?

That's the only thing that I've messed with that I can associate with this issue.

Any help would be very much appreciated!! Thank you

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Stating the obvious but, is the fuel turned on, is there fuel in the tank?
I assisted a bike rider the other day, kicking the crap out of his bike 100 yards from the fuel stop, he had the fuel tap off.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
100 td, thanks for the reply. The tractor is pretty new to me and the previous owner painted black over a lot of things, one of them the fuel shutoff. I couldn't remember if I had it shut off or not so I tried both way when I started it. I don't mind trying again I just want to make sure that I don't have air in the system and mess something up any further by trying to start it anymore.

Thanks again.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I don't know your engine but just a couple of others to check, fuel stop rod not fully in, decompressor lever wrong position or not resetting? Usual fuel filter/air leak checks.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
I don't know your engine but just a couple of others to check, fuel stop rod not fully in, decompressor lever wrong position or not resetting? Usual fuel filter/air leak checks.
I will check into that stuff also. Thanks for your help, 100 td.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I can't imagine changing that packing having anything to do with your problem. It would be easy to bleed your injectors to eliminate that as a problem.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
100 td, might be right on about the decompression knob. If you removed the valve cover you disconnected the cable at the front. If it is not connected in the correct position the valves could be open when you think they aren't.

Push the decompression knob (on the dash) fully in. Then check the cable at the front of the valve cover. The cable goes thru the mounting hole, and the clamp should push the lever as far is it will freely move.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Thank you all for your replies and help. I unhooked a fuel line (rubber) to be able to take the head cover off and that was why it was dying. I had air in the line. I did bleed the system and it's running fine now. For some reason I'm still leaking real bad from the head cover, I'm going to take a look at the packing I just installed. Don't know what it could be.

I appreciate the help! It means a lot to me.