B6000 pushing antifreeze out of drip tube

wapiti39

Equipment
2-Kubota B6000's with FEL,s and Tillers.
Dec 10, 2012
Meridian, Id
Hey all
I have not posted for sometime now. I had a thread going in regards to a b6000 that I cannot get started, which is currently in the shop getting an estimate for an engine rebuild:mad: however in the interim I picked up a basically brand new ( old 1992 model) B 6000 that appears to have a new loaded and tiller attached well. Paint, tires, hoses, all hardware appear to be new or redone. Turns out its a grey market tractor ( zen noh) with the rice patty tires. It has been running well and I have thoroughly enjoyed having a running tractor around the place for help. I have placed roughly 6 hours on it so far and just noticed it has begun to blow antifreeze out of the little tube from the collar of the radiator. Thanks to this site I know it's a thermo syphon style cooling system which requires the fluid to be above the top hose to function properly.
I checked this and it was a bit low, filled it but it still spews fluid. I have noticed the cap has a small section of rust in the center that the previous owner had covered with some form of metallic tape. The tape is no longer sticking so no longer blocking the hole. Would this cause a pressure issue that would keep the thermo syphon system from working properly and causing the fluid to overheat and drip out of the mentioned tube? Thanks for all of your time and insight. I will try a post some pictures soon, I know we all love pictures. :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes if there is anything wrong with the cap it can overflow, It needs to maintain pressure in the radiator for it to work properly.
So first replace the cap!;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it was mine I would drain the coolant and flush out the system with clean water. Then refill with proper 50/50 mix and install a new radiator cap.

wapiti39

Equipment
Dec 10, 2012
Meridian, Id
Excellent, I will do as suggested and post the results. Thank you all for your input and quick responses.

wapiti39

Equipment
Dec 10, 2012
Meridian, Id
Just a quick update (kinda). The radiator cap is on order, just waiting for its arrival to test the fix. Thanks again.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Motorheads I used to work with told me it is very common for people to flush the cooling system with water, and then not drain all the water out before refilling with coolant, thereby diluting the mix. (usually the block stays near full)
I have only used 50/50 mix in my B7100, stored in an unheated garage and it has seen -18F a couple of times with no problems.

wapiti39

Equipment
Dec 10, 2012
Meridian, Id
Thank you all for the information, definitely something to keep in consideration when changing the coolant. I will pick up an antifreeze tester just for peace of mind as well. Thanks again.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Keep in mind that antifreeze never looses it's ability to keep from freezing but it does loose it's ability to dissipate heat.
And it's ability to stop corrosion.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And it's ability to taste great and be less filling..... Oh wait I think that's a beer slogan????:D

wapiti39

Equipment
Dec 10, 2012
Meridian, Id
Update: The new radiator cap finally arrived today so I immediately swapped it out when I got home from work ( I have not drained and flushed the radiator yet, but still plan to do so soon). I let her run for a good 30 minutes and not a single drop out of the tube. :) Appears that was the issue after all, thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions. One of the best parts of this tractor adventure is the fact I get to learn a little more everyday. Thanks again.

I have ( attempted to at least) uploaded a pic as promised, pardon the poor quality of the pic.

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hope that's all it takes to fix it. That sure is a clean looking little fella. Brings back memmories of my 7100.

wapiti39

Equipment
Dec 10, 2012
Meridian, Id
All
Due to certain Circumstances in life I need to sell this tractor, probably only put about 4 hours on it since I purchased her. I wanted to post here for this group before I posted locally. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you all in advance.