B6000 leaking fluid

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
B6000 leaking fluid - forward PTO shaft

My B6000 is leaking transmission fluid from the little opening or access hole underneath just in front of the transmission. The strange thing is, it doesn't leak all the time. In fact, I hadn't seen it leak it quite a while but then I ran the tractor today for a few minutes just to let it run. I didn't drive it around or even take it out of neutral. But when I came out later this evening there was a big puddle of fluid.

Any ideas what might be leaking and why it is so unpredictable?

thanks!!

Last edited:

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
I have ran it a couple time since and it didn't leak again till today. This really puzzles me why it is intermittent.

The puddle it leaves is thick and tan in color. This is one of the only oil changes I have not done yet because the PO said that it was just changed before I bought it. In fact, he gave me the rest of the 5 gallon bucket!

thanks!!

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
So I replaced the transmission oil with 80w-90 gear oil. I plowed my garden and today I have another large puddle under the tractor. I think it might be related to using the hydraulic hitch. It seems after I use the hitch, I get a large leak.

Anyone seen the same thing? How difficult is it to replace this seal?

thanks.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
So you're seeing oil coming out of the bellhousing/clutch case? If that is where it's coming from, the only way to diagnose/fix is to split the tractor and have a look-see.

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
It is leaking from the PTO shaft that comes out the front of the transmission. Do I have to split the tractor to replace this seal? Doesn't really seem like there is another way. It also just started to leak a little from both the rear axle case covers.

See pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
You need a workshop manual. Servicemanualvault.com has one that you can download. There are other sites that have it as well. Servicemanualvault charges $10.00 for the download. Others here know of site that don't charge. The oil looks like it has water in it. It could be that the seal comes out externally and could be an easy fix. You Kubota dealer might be able to look at their drawings and tell you what would be involved. One of my main concerns would be the water possibility.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I see a B6000 "Service Manual" at:

http://www.kubotabooks.com/

Those are free. Not sure the quality of all of them. Just know mine was good.

rentthis has always had good luck with the site he referenced, too.

Either way, rentthis gives good advice. You need to start with a WSM, and the color of your oil says water in it to me, too!

Good luck, and best wishes!:D

Last edited:

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
You need a workshop manual. Servicemanualvault.com has one that you can download. There are other sites that have it as well. Servicemanualvault charges $10.00 for the download. Others here know of site that don't charge. The oil looks like it has water in it. It could be that the seal comes out externally and could be an easy fix. You Kubota dealer might be able to look at their drawings and tell you what would be involved. One of my main concerns would be the water possibility.
I have the manuals already. I am just looking for some advice from others you may have encountered this problem.

thanks

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
I see a B6000 "Service Manual" at:

http://www.kubotabooks.com/

Those are free. Not sure the quality of all of them. Just know mine was good.

rentthis has always had good luck with the site he referenced, too.

Either way, rentthis gives good advice. You need to start with a WSM, and the color of your oil says water in it to me, too!

Good luck, and best wishes!:D
Like I stated above, I just drained the oil and put in 80w-90 gear oil. Do you think the water could of stayed in somehow? It does puzzle me why it is so tan. But then again...this is all new to me! (tractors, hydraulics, etc..)

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
When draining a tractor, there are often pockets of oil that require removing other plugs etc. could it be that you didn't drain all those areas? Your WSM should tell you if you left a puddle of water somewhere. It was either left in or somehow introduced . Your WSM should show how the seal is repaired. Very often, it takes some looking to understand what it's showing you. When you find it, just grab it and growl.

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
I have just taken a look at this shaft and seal on my B6000.

I think the seal could be removed as follows:

1. Drain transmission oil

2. Drill two small holes (perhaps 3mm) in the centre of the seal 180 degrees apart. The seal is quite wide which helps.

3. Thread two small self tapping screws into the holes you have drilled.

4. Attempt to pull out the seal using pliers.

Assuming you are doing the drilling through the small aperture under the tractor the drill will be going into the seal at an angle. The drill will need to be reasonably slim such as a hand drill.

If this method fails you are back to square one but I don't think you can make matters worse by trying. If you drill a bit deep I think it unlikely you will cause problems. Behind the seal are a circlip and ball race bearing and you would feel it if you hit them.

I have used this method on other similar jobs with success.

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
If you drain the transmission only by removing the transmission filter you will be leaving at least a couple of litres in the trans.

If you look immediately below the left and right axles you will see two drain plugs on the side of the transmission. These are at the lowest point on the trans and they are clearly intended as drain plugs as each one has a bonded seal fitted.