B3300SU 3pt hitch is junk!

greenegg

Equipment
B3330
Sep 8, 2013
Indiana
1st tractor has about 15 hrs on it. Kubota is going to get a warranty test on this crap!

This is my 1st tractor. Delivered with my bush hog on it. Dealer explained useage , watched many videos, read manuals. Im no expert.

Had used to bush hog 10 acres. Noticed a bit of a "drift" (drop) of bush hog. Refered to manual checked some things, figured this was normal.

Then hooked a big boy toy.... post hole auger. This is where things when down QUICKLY! Well so downhill almost to china. Started the hole no problem, lifted back out to clean out dirt every 6 inches. Then when at 2 1/2 ft depth it wouldnt lift auger back out of the hole.

Had to use the phone a friend option and have a John Deere assist on getting us out of hole. Auger blade is bent. 3pt hitch is bent (i hear the front wheels of the tractor would come up off the ground if working properly). This thing absolutley has no power. What JUNK! Brand new.....I being told by friend that the o ring is not seated on rear lift cause the "drift" and inability to get auger out of hole.

I hope they have a great warranty I am not a happy camper. Should be picked up by dealer this week. Please let me know what you think!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like you hit a rock or a tree root down in the hole you were drilling and the auger bit got hung up. Thats a pretty common problem drilling holes in the dirt. I got mine hung up on something with my B6100 and it shut the tractor off, I could get it started and if I let the clutch out with the pto on it would kill the tractor again, could not lift, could not wiggle and was not about to loose a 12 inche bit. I ended up taking a pipe wrench to the pto shaft and backed the bit out by hand which took over an hour...

greenegg

Equipment
B3330
Sep 8, 2013
Indiana
Nope not a single rock in that hole! Just nice loose dirt and some clay but nothing that would stop even my handheld earthquake machine. Actually the earthquake machine is by far easier to pull out of the hole.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Well, you must have been snagged on something in that hole if you bent the auger AND the 3pt hitch.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Kubota is pretty good about warranty issues.

Be aware of the "abuse" bail-out. Explain that the PHD was designed to fit and work on the tractor and the tractor was designed to be able to use a PHD. It is reasonable to expect a PHD to function normally without causing tractor damage.

Let us know how it turns out after the dealer has a chance to look at it. It may be a problem isolated to your tractor rather than an overall matter.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Well, you must have been snagged on something in that hole if you bent the auger AND the 3pt hitch.
Yeah, wondered about that.

I've had augers stuck in holes on larger stronger tractors than that, but have always been able to get em free.

Does sound like something isn't right with your 3 pt though. But calling it junk and ranting want help a bit. :cool:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Wouldn't you guys think that the sheer pin would snap on the PHD before that amount of damage could occur?

The OP didn't say the PHD was new or came with the tractor. Maybe someone used a grade 8 bolt for a sheer pin. Dunno.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Greenegg, can understand your frustration. Bitching about it won't fix a thing except your ego. Allow for the possibility that something other than poor manufacturing is the issue. Also, boasting green is not productive!

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Sorry to hear about your luck.

Did things get bent and broken while using the phd or when the mighty JD saved the day?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Like my buddy Hodge says... some people can break an anvil. This is the first complaint I've ever heard about the 3pt on a B3300. Highly doubt its the tractor or the 3pt. Has to be some other factor at work here.

Like GWD mentioned it could be the wrong shear bolt...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I hate to be an ass but after everthing I keep re-reading it sounds like a rookie operator error and taking the mistake you made out on the tractor wont fix it. It was stated twice that its your first tractor..... Sooooo........

greenegg

Equipment
B3330
Sep 8, 2013
Indiana
Benhameen: It was already bent , we pulled it out slowly with the other tractor with pto rotating to get it out to avoid suction.

Its not the first tractor I have ever operated just my first one Ive owned, actually had experienced help available to show us the ropes on how to use this auger. Just seems like this thing has no power! I cant be the first to experience this.

I was posting to hope to find someone who could mechanicly help me understand why my tractor is doing this! I thought they would check the seating of these o rings / seals before they left the factory.

Like I also said the bush hog was "drifting" it would not stay in place.

I will update you once I find the results from the service.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Greenegg, I was just throwing it out there. It might be something that the dealer will ask, always good to have your ducks in a row, when you start dealing with the dealer or Kubota themselves.

I'm not sure how much difference in size my l3800 and your tractor is but I've thrown a lot at mine so far and nothing like this has happened to me.

Please let us know what the dealer and or Kubota says or does to fix the problem.

Good luck....

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Benhameen: It was already bent , we pulled it out slowly with the other tractor with pto rotating to get it out to avoid suction.

Its not the first tractor I have ever operated just my first one Ive owned, actually had experienced help available to show us the ropes on how to use this auger. Just seems like this thing has no power! I cant be the first to experience this.

I was posting to hope to find someone who could mechanicly help me understand why my tractor is doing this! I thought they would check the seating of these o rings / seals before they left the factory.

Like I also said the bush hog was "drifting" it would not stay in place.

I will update you once I find the results from the service.
You really need to research before buying, the B3300SU like many B Series and all newer BX has the "quarter inching" valve 3PH not position control and as such will "drift", some put check chains on them to maintain height while some just bump it up occasionally, just the nature of the design.

greenegg

Equipment
B3330
Sep 8, 2013
Indiana
Well got the tractor back, they replaced the arms. They said they couldnt find anything wrong.....so nothing accomplished. I guess I will only be making 2 1/2 deep holes, anything past that and Im stuck! Well guessing I should of bought a bigger tractor this one can't do what I bought it for. Im SOL!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Well got the tractor back, they replaced the arms. They said they couldnt find anything wrong.....so nothing accomplished. I guess I will only be making 2 1/2 deep holes, anything past that and Im stuck! Well guessing I should of bought a bigger tractor this one can't do what I bought it for. Im SOL!
Well, the tractor did get repaired.

You found out the tractor is not able to do what you expected.

Perhaps the dealer will give you a generous trade-in offer for a tractor that will perform up to your expectations.

Odd that there aren't complaints by other owners of the B3300, or even other similar sized tractors, about having the same problems.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I bet the 3 pt arms aren't long enough to get the best use out of the post hole digger. Maybe the PHD is too big for the tractor?

I used a PHD many times with my old L245, small tractor, but no problems at all. The L3800 works even better!

Trade it in on a L3200/3800.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Did you buy the tractor and PHD at the same time from the same dealer?
Did the dealer state that the B3300SU would handle the PHD that seems to be the problem?
When they picked up your tractor and fixed the 3PH, did they drill any test holes to confirm that everything worked properly?
Have you drilled any holes since you got the tractor back and had a problem with it or you assuming that there will be another problem?
"1st tractor has about 15 hrs on it." Have you used ANY TRACTOR with a 3PT PHD before?

Depending on how you answer the above questions, this is what I would do:
1) Try to drill another hole in the same location as the one you broke your machine in. If it works ok try to drill another - repeat until you are exhausted or jam the auger again. It it jams at any time and is not EASILY removed, LEAVE IT ALONE! Call the dealer and have them see EXACTLY the situation that causes your problem so they can show you how to fix it, or if they can not fix it there you have proven your point that something is wrong.

2) If you are sure that there is still something wrong with the tractor as they delivered it back to you, call the dealer and have them send a mechanic/experienced operator out to you and have them watch you drill holes or have them show you how they drill holes. If the auger jams they are there to witness the whole thing, if you want have someone video the whole process. This might cost you a few $$ but you will know one way or another.

You will either learn what you did wrong or be able to go back to the dealer and tell them, THERE I TOLD YOU SO!

Just my 2.5 cents.
Good luck