B2650 starting problem

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
A few days ago, I ran the tractor low enough on fuel that it quit. At least, I assume that's why it quit. I refilled the tank and after a bit of cranking it started and ran fine the rest of the day.

Since then, it has been increasingly hard to start. The starter motor spins the engine but it doesn't start immediately like it always has. The usual 10-15 seconds of glow plug makes no difference.

Up until today, it would start after several attempts and ran fine for a couple of hours while I did various tasks. Today I didn't think it was going to start, period. It took 4 or 5 30 second spins on the starter and just as I gave up and let off the key it started.

I did what I fired it up to do, took about 45 minutes. Pulled it back into the shed and shut it off then tried to re-start. Same symptoms on a warm/hot engine.

Seeing as the starter is spinning, I'm assuming it's not a safety switch. Also, seeing as it runs fine once it starts, I'm assuming it's not air in the fuel lines/injectors/pump.

Glow plug fuse is good, pre-heat indicator comes on on the dash and I can hear the key stop relay clicking when I turn the key.

I have the WSM, would appreciate any hints on where to start looking.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You need to bleed off the trapped are in the pump and lines. My pump(s) have a knob on top just for that. Maybe your does as well. If it does, start the motor with the knob open (lefty loosey) and allow the motor to run a few minutes and close it (righty tighty).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like a bad fuel pump, Not the injection pump but the lift pump.
Or possibly a clogged fuel filter, or separator.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Confusing that it does run well once it starts, but I have a new fuel filter on hand and will install it. Won't be today, I have an appointment at the VA, but I'll post back with results.

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
i would start with bleeding the fuel system since it was run out of fuel you have eliminate the possibility of air in the system

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Wise to follow NIW's suggestion re lift pump!

See if the situation changes based upon fuel level in the tank and if you are going up or down a slope as this points to the lift pump.

Dave

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
It appears to be a start switch issue. There are normally four positions: Off, Run, Pre-heat and Start.

Now there's a notchy feeling just short of start. If I turn the key all the way to start, it spins but doesn't start. If I crank for a couple seconds and then slightly release the key to that "notchy" part, it fires right up.

Guess I'll price a new ignition switch.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am wondering if a piece of this is the crumby key that comes with the 2650s. On mine getting it in the ignition switch squarely is an issue. The fit is lousy.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Well, that's not the problem. I didn't get around to ordering the part anyway but now I'm thinking key stop solenoid (fuel shutoff) or something else fuel related.

It started once this morning but when I went to restart it, no inducement will cause it to run. I pulled the fuel/key stop solenoid off and it works okay in free air but sounds kind of wimpy when installed.

I cracked an injector line at the pump while cranking and I'm not getting any fuel at that point. I cracked a banjo bolt on the fuel line between what I assume is the lift pump and the injector pump body and got fuel there.

I guess it's time to drag it to the Kubota place.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Well, two weeks and $700 later...The Cabota is back in service.

Turns out both the stop solenoid (which I suspected) and the engine computer (which I feared...) had defecated in the sleeping apparatus.

Suddenly that $400/yr insurance is looking pretty good...

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Well, two weeks and $700 later...The Cabota is back in service.

Turns out both the stop solenoid (which I suspected) and the engine computer (which I feared...) had defecated in the sleeping apparatus.

Suddenly that $400/yr insurance is looking pretty good...
Hey paul - any idea why these 2 items failed? Just curious.