B2650 Cab - Filled Tires or Ballast Box

wmitch1000

Equipment
B2650 Cab, FEL, MMM, Front Hyd Snow Blade, EA Grapple, York Rake
Mar 7, 2010
Northern Virginia
Getting ready to purchase a 2650 cab and looking for advice on having the tires filled or just use a ballast box.

The 2650 will have a FEL, MMM, and turf tires. I will be using it for mowing, and snow removal using a front blade on a 1500' gavel drive. I would like to go with a snow blower but think it may be a problem on the gravel drive. I will also be doing some other chores such as moving gravel, brush, mulch, etc.

The 2650 will be replacing a 2920 (FEL & MMM) that has filled tires. I have not had many problems with rutting the lawn, and have plowed with a rear blade without getting stuck much.

Also, will the ride be different with tires that are not filled?

I appreciate all of the wisdom from my fellow orange owners.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I didn't notice much difference in the ride after having mine filled.

If it was mine I would have them filled, then if you need more weight use the ballast box.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
For me, I would go with beet juice filled tires over a ballast box, hands down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Getting ready to purchase a 2650 cab and looking for advice on having the tires filled or just use a ballast box.

The 2650 will have a FEL, MMM, and turf tires. I will be using it for mowing, and snow removal using a front blade on a 1500' gavel drive. I would like to go with a snow blower but think it may be a problem on the gravel drive. I will also be doing some other chores such as moving gravel, brush, mulch, etc.

The 2650 will be replacing a 2920 (FEL & MMM) that has filled tires. I have not had many problems with rutting the lawn, and have plowed with a rear blade without getting stuck much.

I too would fill your tires for all the reasons mentioned and for the stability.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers,, these guys know what they be talkin bout

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Definitely get your tires filled with something heavy. The difference is amazing with the ride, traction, and stability with ballasted tires!

wmitch1000

Equipment
B2650 Cab, FEL, MMM, Front Hyd Snow Blade, EA Grapple, York Rake
Mar 7, 2010
Northern Virginia

Looks like I made the right decision when I got my 2920 and had the tires filled. So, I'll have the tires in my new 2650 filled also, and looking forward to having the extra room by not carrying the ballast box behind me.

Any thoughts on using a front end snow blower on a gravel drive?

Thanks all for your input and wisdom, it's greatly appreciated. Now all I need to do is sell my 2920 so I can order the 2650!

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I filled my tires and worked the fel like that for a while. It help's but it's not a replacement for ballest on the 3pt. Just 2 weeks ago I picked up a carry all from Tractor supply for short money. Threw a couple hundered lbs on the back and WOW what a difference! Weight behind the rear axle makes a huge stability difference and unloads the front axle. If you plan to do much with the FEL its well worth having both the tires filled and some 3pt ballest.