B2601 Treadle Pedal hard to use

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Received delivery of my new B2601 tractor this past week and as I was using it I noticed how difficult it was to use the pedal going in reverse. I do not remember this being so hard to use when I had the L series tractor.
Is there any adjustment to make it a little easier to use??????

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Received delivery of my new B2601 tractor this past week and as I was using it I noticed how difficult it was to use the pedal going in reverse. I do not remember this being so hard to use when I had the L series tractor.
Is there any adjustment to make it a little easier to use??????
Check to see if there is a ZERK fitting - if so (I would hope so) HAS it been greased? If not grease it and see if that makes any difference.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
There should be a zerk yes, there is on the L2501. Get under the tractor and work the pedal and look at how everything is moving. Find the zerk, and grease it until you JUST start to see it squeeze out of little cracks in the area. The treddle peddle shouldn't require a lot of force to move. If you just rest your foot on it it should move.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
My L series worked just fine and was very smooth and light to the touch. This one you need to stand on it to get it to go down. I will need to remove the belly mower in order to get my head under it to inspect it but is needs to be done. I am wearing out my leg muscle!
I have even tried to slip my foot under the forward section and lift up to go reverse and cannot do it.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
That treadle pedal is one of the things I don’t like about Kubotas. and I find that there isn’t enough room for my shoe to get the right foot position to push it more than just a little bit. it aggravates the hell out of me. Plus I have a bad knee and after a day of working that pedal its all seized up. That and the cheesy cruise control ruins an otherwise good little tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
Just checked our new B2601 & no zerk on the hydro pedal linkage, but brake linkage has one. Been getting used to the heavy B2601 pedal compared to the BX we traded in. B2601 hydro pedal pivot point is slightly closer to back of pedal making reverse a little harder to actuate than forward.

Reactions: 1 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I removed the belly mower yesterday and got under the tractor for a look and as stated on here there is only one zerk for break peddles and nothing for the treadle. I took some lube spray and shot a bit into the tubes where I thought there would be some drag. I still have hopes there will be some relief as time goes on and the tractor sees some wear.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, on my BX23s the grease Zerk is under the rubber floor mat ! There's a cutout 'flap', you lift up, clean the Zerk, 1 squirt , done.... At least it's EASY to get to...when you remember to do it...
Maybe yours is built the same way ??

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Very Interesting. I will definitely give that a look at today. I think it very odd not to have a zerk.
Thanks for the heads up, and I will be sure to report back on that.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Very Interesting. I will definitely give that a look at today. I think it very odd not to have a zerk.
Thanks for the heads up, and I will be sure to report back on that.
Just went out to check under the rubber mat and nothing at all. I am coming to the conclusion that it is just due to the strong return spring system under the tractor. I checked side to side movement in the connecting rod and there is movement so there is no rubbing at all causing friction. The spring is real beefy, and probably just needs to be worked for a while. What I am thinking of doing is while the tractor is parked and brake on for the night I may set a weight on the treadle peddle in the reverse position causing some pull on the spring. This might help speed up a little wear on the spring.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
It’s the design. The B2601 pedal system is really stiff - especially in reverse. You get used to it, but every time I get on my dads L3901 it’s apparent how much nicer that pedal is to operate.

Reactions: 1 user

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
My L series was very light on the foot in forward as well as in reverse. The B2601 seems very stiff for now. I will discuss this with the dealer to see if they can recommend a different spring.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
My L series was very light on the foot in forward as well as in reverse. The B2601 seems very stiff for now. I will discuss this with the dealer to see if they can recommend a different spring.
Please let me know what you hear. If there is a part swap solution (like changing out the spring) I'd be open to trying that on mine as well.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I was able to talk to my dealer about the issue, and he felt the peddle will loosen up a little with use. I told him about the heavy spring and wanted to be able to replace it with a lighter spring with no responsibility to dealership and he is looking into it for me and will get back. I will post more updates as they occur. For now I just keep tension on the spring during my down time by jamming a piece of wood under the front of the peddle to try to stretch the spring a little as if it were being used. who knows......it just might help a little.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Did you try removing the spring and moving the pedal? You may have to remove the spring for the forward movement too. If you remove the springs and the pedal is still hard to move, then you have a different issue affecting pedal movement.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have not tried to move any springs as of yet. I was going to wait and see if the dealer could tell me there were different settings for the springs or not.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I have not tried to move any springs as of yet. I was going to wait and see if the dealer could tell me there were different settings for the springs or not.
If he is like most dealers I have encountered over the years you will be waiting for a while or never.

Reactions: 2 users

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Dealer called me today three times but the phone was in office and I was outside installing my LED lights. Waiting for him to call again. He was with a customer. He always returns my calls when I leave a message, and this time was no different.

• Love

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Dealer called me today three times but the phone was in office and I was outside installing my LED lights. Waiting for him to call again. He was with a customer. He always returns my calls when I leave a message, and this time was no different.
Just got a call from dealer about the reverse. He talked to the rep and they both say the peddle should loosen up some over time. If not, I am to let them know and they will order a new spring and replace the one on tractor. They want me to use it for a little while before they do anything and I agreed. I told the dealer I prop up the peddle in reverse position with a small piece of wood while tractor is not in use to help put a little more wear on the spring. He thought that was a good idea to try. I will wait another week or two to see if there is any change in stiffness of the peddle.