B2601 shuts off after PTO has been engaged

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
B2601 shuts off after PTO has been engaged and disengaged and getting off of the seat after a couple of second. I've changed the PTO clutch Lever switch and the PTO select lever switch. Now it even shuts off after a few minutes of just sitting and idling without being on the seat???

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am not sure on that model - but do you have to flip the seat forward to be off the seat while PTO is engaged?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
maybe NOW you have to change the seat switch ??
have no idea what the wiring is but since we've become a 'nanny state' idiots have made SIMPLE tractors too dang complicated......
WSM will have the wiring diagram..
erratic/random problems tend to be 'connector' related or maybe cut insulation, grounds a wire ??

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
I am not sure on that model - but do you have to flip the seat forward to be off while PTO is engaged?
As long as you stay on the seat it is all good. Before getting off the seat I disengaged the PTO lever as normal and the tractor should and used to continue running but now when getting off the seat it shuts down after a few seconds.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
maybe NOW you have to change the seat switch ??
have no idea what the wiring is but since we've become a 'nanny state' idiots have made SIMPLE tractors too dang complicated......
WSM will have the wiring diagram..
erratic/random problems tend to be 'connector' related or maybe cut insulation, grounds a wire ??
As long as you stay on the seat it is all good. Before getting off the seat I disengaged the PTO lever as normal and the tractor should and used to continue running but now when getting off the seat it shuts down after a few seconds.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
hmm, maybe you have to set the parking brake on before getting off seat ?
I agree PTO has to be able to turn if you're off the seat,so maybe PBRK switch is wonky ??

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
On my B2601 the rules are:
1. If sitting in the seat, most things are fine
2. If off the seat, then you need:
- PTO lever disengaged. Maybe the PTO switch is faulty
- HST pedal perfectly centred. Sometimes these get sloppy, if you nudge the HST pedal does it fix it?
3. If off the seat and wanting to use the PTO, you need the seat flipped up. The switch for this is on the front of the seat pedestal, and is fussy on mine, sometimes needs a jiggle

If I was guessing, I'd say chances are that one of your PTO switch or your HST switch is not working properly. They also stop the machine from starting, so when the machine stops, you can try starting (shouldn't work), then jiggle one, try starting, then jiggle the other, try starting. That will tell you which one is the one that's giving issues.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
At $250 US(+-$350 CDN) for the OPC, with NO returns ( electrical item) and NOT 100% sure that IS the cause... I'd rewire the tractor

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
I've jump out the PTO clutch Lever switch and the PTO select lever switch and it did not change anything, I'm thinking it could be the controller or engine stop solenoid?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wonder if its like the BX and you have to flip the seat up and have the PT0 lever in the rear position

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
wondering if the controller can be tested?
The engine stop solenoid won't care if you're in the seat or not. It won't stop the engine until the 12v signal to it gets taken away. You can always add in a "quickie" jumper wire to the solenoid circuit and keep it powered up that way. Then see if it stays running or not.

I doubt there's away to test the module. Too many circuits involved and probably too little information on what they are.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Betting seat switch. JMHO. You haven’t jumped that yet, correct?

Don’t know exactly how a B2601 works.

While a BX, mine got wonky, not because of the switch itself. Switch itself tested fine.

I’m a large guy.

Got where it wouldn’t close after the switch wallowed around in its pocket of the seat. Pad of the seat cushion wouldn’t properly close the switch.

Did some stuff similar to yours.

A piece of cardboard as a bushing or spacer fixed it

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
here's a good copy of the wiring.
'controller' only has 10 pins ( 8 + power(acc) and ground ))
all labelled
6 inputs
2 outputs(starter and stop solenoid )
mighty dang simple compared to units I've had to 'reverse engineer' with NO schematics....
WSM may have test procedures,or at least how it should work..check the 'engine stop solenoid' to see WHAT conditions will stop the engine.
you can eliminate the 'start switch' and 'charge signal), so now down to 4 inputs.
HST pedal, Rear PTO,MID PTO and Seat switches..there's also a 'seat tilt switch ,in series with the 'PTO selector switch'.
Have seen here something about that switch not being properly connected....
At least you've now got a diagram and some info.....

Attachments

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
The above doesn’t seem to fall into my suggestion, however I will offer my 2 cents as I had an issue with my 2601 when brand new…just in case this helps.

The seat mechanism and OPC switches needed to be changed when I ordered the backhoe.
(the seat needs to rotate from forward to reverse).

Thus the flip the seat forward towards the steering wheel DID NOTHING to change the operation of the OPC switches.
However, popping the seat UP, as one does to rotate the seat forward or rearward, sends a signal to the OPC controller that the seat is not occupied, and further allows the PTO to be engaged when the trans is in neutral.
Hope this may help, but if you don’t have a backhoe, may not apply.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Welcome to the forum @Dave16....I would respectfully suggest that before you go and try any of the above-mentioned suggestions involving wiring, re-wiring, or testing; it seems pretty obvious to me that if the tractor is new, it would most likely be properly wired. The seat has a safety mechanism requiring a seated operator for general tractor operation; when operating my Woodland Mills WC-68 PTO 3-point wood chipper I 'pop' up the seat as if I was going to spin it around for backhoe use, then start engine at idle, engage PTO, and slowly throttle up to operating speed (~2500-2800 RPM). Good luck! :)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
It appears to be functioning as designed. On my B2601 the PTO must be disengaged before getting out of the seat. The folks here on the forum are a well intentioned " can do" bunch with various levels of competency who sometimes like to "fix" things that may not require fixing. Maybe too much coffee. You will learn to love your tractor as I do mine. Good luck and Merry Christmas.