B2601 shuts off after PTO has been engaged

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
To run my PTO when not seated, I had to pivot the seat up as there was a bypass switch. When I went to an air ride seat that doesn't pivot, we installed a bypass toggle switch in one of the vacant slots. Since nobody makes one that says "PTO Bypass", a red brake drum switch works fine. My use of the PTO with an unoccupied tractor is for a 10KW generator. Works like a charm.

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
Here's an update on the B2601 shutting down issue. I've changed the OPC, which didn't do any good. I've changed the PTO clutch switch, which didn't help. I've jumped out the HST switch. Now everything seems ok but, I leave it sitting and just idling it will shut down. Sometimes it takes about 10 seconds to shut down and other times it has sat and idled for 20 minutes before it shuts down.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The only switch you haven't changed is the 'seat tilt switch', which is in series with the PTO select switch.
Since it is a 'tilt' switch, how far the seat is moved will affect where it 'opens and closes'.
You may want to jumper it or open it to 'mimic' how it is supposed to be for your use.

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
The only switch you haven't changed is the 'seat tilt switch', which is in series with the PTO select switch.
Since it is a 'tilt' switch, how far the seat is moved will affect where it 'opens and closes'.
You may want to jumper it or open it to 'mimic' how it is supposed to be for your use.
I have a backhoe on this tractor and it does not have a seat tilt switch but my next plan was to jump the seat safety switch.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
If it doesn't have the tilt switch( I was looking at the 2301,2601 wiring diagram in the WSM), I'd expect there is a jumper connector in place of the actual tilt switch.
I've seen 2 types of seat switches. 1 is a 'push' button or lever style with obvious actuator, and 2 an 'internal' (hidden in seat ) switch.
On my BX23S , I do not have to be sitting on the seat to start and run the engine. if I press the fwd/rev pedal while OFF the seat, yes engine stops.

You seem to be able to start and then some random time later it stops, that might be the fwd/rev pedal moving just enough from neutral to tell the OPC to kill the engine. Something 'lazy' is telling the OPC to shut off the engine. The actual OPC command takes about 1 second, doesn't vary. One possibility is if there's 2 springs on the fwd/rev pedal and 'neutral' for the pedal isn't 'neutral' for the switch. One spring pulls the pedal ever so slightly back and switch 'thinks' YOU have moved the pedal AND you're NOT in the seat......OPC kills the engine.

According to the diagram all 4 switches supply +12v to the OPC when 'engaged'. You could use a DVM to confirm they are OK. All are fed from the same 5 amp fuse so shouldn't be a 'power' issue.

BTW www.kubotabooks.com has the b2301,2601 WSM for free downloading, electrical section should help a LOT !!!

Last edited:

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
If it doesn't have the tilt switch( I was looking at the 2301,2601 wiring diagram in the WSM), I'd expect there is a jumper connector in place of the actual tilt switch.
I've seen 2 types of seat switches. 1 is a 'push' button or lever style with obvious actuator, and 2 an 'internal' (hidden in seat ) switch.
On my BX23S , I do not have to be sitting on the seat to start and run the engine. if I press the fwd/rev pedal while OFF the seat, yes engine stops.

You seem to be able to start and then random time later it stops, that might be the fwd/rev pedal moving just enough from neutral to tell the OPC to kill the engine.

According to the diagram all 4 switches supply +12v to the OPC when 'engaged'. You could use a DVM to confirm they are OK. All are fed from the same 5 amp fuse so shouldn't be a 'power' issue.
Mine has a single lever type switch on the seat which i have not yet eliminated. I have jumped the fwd/rev pedal switch to bypass it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It appears to be functioning as designed. On my B2601 the PTO must be disengaged before getting out of the seat. The folks here on the forum are a well intentioned " can do" bunch with various levels of competency who sometimes like to "fix" things that may not require fixing. Maybe too much coffee. You will learn to love your tractor as I do mine. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
It's not as designed. As designed it will shut off if you're not in the seat AND the PTO is engaged, or the pedal is moved. It's not supposed to shut off randomly when you're not in the seat.

My money remains on the HST pedal, as mentioned above. Should be relatively easy to diagnose. If it shuts off it also shouldn't start if you stand beside it and try. Then nudge the HST pedal. If it now starts, it was the HST switch.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
It's not as designed. As designed it will shut off if you're not in the seat AND the PTO is engaged, or the pedal is moved. It's not supposed to shut off randomly when you're not in the seat.

My money remains on the HST pedal, as mentioned above. Should be relatively easy to diagnose. If it shuts off it also shouldn't start if you stand beside it and try. Then nudge the HST pedal. If it now starts, it was the HST switch.
I have the HST switch jumped out, so it can't be that. but thanks for your input.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a backhoe with my tractor and don't believe that switch is on mine when you flip the seat up.
I have a backhoe on my tractor (L48 TLB),.... and my seat switch has NEVER worked since the machine left the dealership:LOL:

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
For what it’s worth, and I have posted this before. On my B2601 with BH, the seat switch is a 3 position switch. Driver present and seated, driver not present, and seat popped up, allowing use of the rear pto for items like wood chippers.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmmm... so DOM ( year built ) matters !
The WSM in kb.com is from 2014...
It'd be nice to see a newer version, bet the wiring's changed as well as 'troubleshooting'....

Noremark

Equipment
B26 W/ Backhoe,
Dec 28, 2023
Chehalis WA
First of all thanks to all who post. I am the new owner of a used b26. It seems like I have only one wiring harness going to a push button and two wire switch on the seat. I think I don't have a tilt switch. With the pto off i can hear the fule stop solenoid off engage and disengage when i push the seat location where the button is. However, the engine will no longer turn over. But I know the solenoid and starter are good. where is the PTO Switch Located? Other note a few weeks ago I had to replace the HST pedal neutral switch.

Last edited:

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
On my tractor to run the PTO when not sitting on the seat you need to
1- apply the parking brake
2- put hst gear lever in neutral.
Then when the PTO is engaged the tractor stays running.

I believe it is the same on the 2601 tractor

Noremark

Equipment
B26 W/ Backhoe,
Dec 28, 2023
Chehalis WA
On my tractor to run the PTO when not sitting on the seat you need to
1- apply the parking brake
2- put hst gear lever in neutral.
Then when the PTO is engaged the tractor stays running.

I believe it is the same on the 2601 tractor
I just looked at my Identification plate on the front frame of my unit. Says I have a B26 I'm thinking it's an earlier version of the 2601. I have found the service manual for B2601 or B2650. on-line. I'm looking at them now. Anyone know where I could get a service manual for B26

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The B26 is quite a different machine - it's the TLB version. The loader doesn't come off, the backhoe is stronger than the add-on backhoe for the B2601. It has a bigger hydraulic pump I think, and a bunch of pieces are built stouter. It's made for the rental market, or to be used by contractors, and therefore made to be abused.

The seat switches and PTO switches on a B26 are likely different than the B2601, I'd expect it to have a rotating seat which will change how the switches are set up.

@Jsjac on the B2601 (or at least, on my B2601) there's no need to put the HST in neutral or the parking brake on. The only trick for standing use of the PTO is to tilt the seat up over the steering wheel. There's a switch on the front of the seat pedestal, and a spring wire that pushes on it when the seat tilts up. I had similar on my BX, and it was fussy - the spring wire seems to bend over time and not contact the switch properly.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
The B26 is quite a different machine - it's the TLB version. The loader doesn't come off, the backhoe is stronger than the add-on backhoe for the B2601. It has a bigger hydraulic pump I think, and a bunch of pieces are built stouter. It's made for the rental market, or to be used by contractors, and therefore made to be abused.

The seat switches and PTO switches on a B26 are likely different than the B2601, I'd expect it to have a rotating seat which will change how the switches are set up.

@Jsjac on the B2601 (or at least, on my B2601) there's no need to put the HST in neutral or the parking brake on. The only trick for standing use of the PTO is to tilt the seat up over the steering wheel. There's a switch on the front of the seat pedestal, and a spring wire that pushes on it when the seat tilts up. I had similar on my BX, and it was fussy - the spring wire seems to bend over time and not contact the switch properly.
Could be, my seat doesn't flip up. Maybe it is a cab tractor thing. Not sure

Dave16

Equipment
B2601
Dec 17, 2023
Follansbee, WV
I believe the issue is solved. It was a combination of the 3 way seat switch, the PTO clutch lever switch and the HST pedal switch. Ran it for a few hours today and all seems well. I want to thank everyone for their input on the B2601 shutting down issue. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
Have you checked the forward/reverse pedal neutral position? These tractors have problems with the pedal not returning all the way to neutral when released. That would cause the tractor to shut off when you stand up since it thinks it is still in gear.