B2601 electrical supply

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have a B2601, and was wondering if it would be worth the cost to change to an alternator for my charging system. I am running two LED lights off the ROPS for forward light and two LED lights off the rear bottom of ROPS for back hoe work in the evenings. Any thought or advise? This is the first tractor I have owned that did not come with an alternator.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a long led light on my BX and 4 led lights ............ never a problem!!!

I dont think you need to change anything - just my two cents.

Not sure what your amp draw is - but with LED's - it cannot be too high!

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have a long led light on my BX and 4 led lights ............ never a problem!!!

I dont think you need to change anything - just my two cents.

Not sure what your amp draw is - but with LED's - it cannot be too high!
I made sure the draw would be low when I bought the lights. Just wondering if it would be worth the change or not. Seems all the other tractors have an alternator. No idea why they didn't put one in the B series. My L3200 had one.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Agree with Hokie. If those 4 lights you running are the only thing, put your money elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I run 2 sets (4) of 3" Rigid led floods, this is about 9amps of lighting. Even though our alternators are undersized (i dont even think it's a legit alternator, name escapes me), it is still sufficient to keep the system around 13 volts with the tractor headlights on and the floodlights on.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I run 2 sets (4) of 3" Rigid led floods, this is about 9amps of lighting. Even though our alternators are undersized (i dont even think it's a legit alternator, name escapes me), it is still sufficient to keep the system around 13 volts with the tractor headlights on and the floodlights on.
It's called a Dynamo. Just an FYI

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious was I, so I downloaded the WSM for the B2601....
ZERO mention of the current output of the dynamo ! I'm shakeing my head of that as I know the BX23S has a 40A alternator in it. Maybe I grabbed the wrong PDF ??

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
curious was I, so I downloaded the WSM for the B2601....
ZERO mention of the current output of the dynamo ! I'm shakeing my head of that as I know the BX23S has a 40A alternator in it. Maybe I grabbed the wrong PDF ??

The output on the ol DYNAMO is 14.5 amps ...... which unless you are running 2 sprayers at night with 4 lights ..... it should suffice.

Jay - I too wonder .... BX has larger ALTERnator and the B is bigger and has 30% of that with the dyno!

Snakefarm84

Equipment
L2501 , fel backhoe, yard full of attachments , old Ford tractor and old kubota
Apr 30, 2021
Lubbock, TX
I wrote a book as my reply but it was easier to just delete and say don't change it unless your use leaves it lacking starting power. When balancing day time use vs night you should have plenty of time to top the battery off if your use even depletes it. Also more electricity production = less working hp and these smaller units really can be close to the line of easy to work with and a pia if you bog it down.

Snakefarm84

Equipment
L2501 , fel backhoe, yard full of attachments , old Ford tractor and old kubota
Apr 30, 2021
Lubbock, TX
[QUOTE="GreensvilleJay, post: like I said , it's not really needed , loosing 1 100th of a hp for something that isn't needed still doesn't make sense

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
The kit was ordered and I am now waiting for it. I want to have the amps. I think the kit would be cheaper than replacing the battery a couple times. I think hp loss is negligible for my machine by installing the alternator. I just might consider getting a portable closure and add a little heater for winter time and would need the amps there. This just frees me up to do things that I would not be able to do otherwise.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
two more options for cabin heat
1) hot water system, same as a car
2) selfcontained diesel cabin heater

both cost about the same, depending on where you buy, who installs...
if you remove cab for summer, should have disconnects for the water lines( like hydraulic connects)
the diesel heaters only need a small amount of 12 volt current.