B2410 black smoke under load

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Purchased a 2500 hour B2410 and finally got it home in September. It ran great for a high-time tractor (ok, 2500 hours isn't high time on a Kubota, but remember, I'm comparing this against my pair of B7510s, one with less than 700 hours and the other with less than 400 hours). The tractor seemed to have plenty of power to spin the 54" MMM, although it did seem a little smokier than the B7510s. Have to say that cutting grass with this machine is a bit of a dream - it just works very well, despite the mowing deck having lots of wear on it.

Last week I had my first opportunity to run this machine with the B2550 front mounted snowblower. This is actually a pretty nice combination in terms of utility.

My real concern is that, now that I've got white snow to use as a backdrop I can see the tractor is making a fair bit of black smoke in the exhaust. I define a "fair bit" as being a constant stream of black smoke when under normal snowblower load that drags the PTO speed down just a little, so the engine is running at full rated HP. It has lots of power, starts easily and otherwise is in what I would consider very serviceable condition.

A neighbor who has lots of experience with heavy diesels (mining equipment) suggested the injectors are worn, thus dumping more fuel can can be burned efficiently, producing the coal smoke. He warned that continuing to operate in this condition could eventually result in damage to the engine including potentially holing a piston.

For those here who have experience with higher-time Kubota engines in the 1 litre class, does this hypothesis around injectors sound reasonable? If so, should I just get a new set and be done with it? If so, how expensive are these little devils?

If there's another troubleshooting tree up which I should be barking, please do share your wisdom.

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

Ironman2

Equipment
L185 or L1501, tiller, brush mower
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
A diesel should smoke under heavy load, especially ones with no turbo. But that is a medium load.
Have you considered that the previous owner may have turned up the fuel at the injection pump?
A continuous over-fueling situation is harmful, and for the pittance it costs, I would replace the injector tips. Then if it still overfuels look at the pump. There are Youtube video on how to turn up kubota's so the same vid shows the way to turn it back.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
I think if u look in your maintenance manual you'll see injectors have a service life.{hrs} That they need to be taken out & serviced.. SO its not unusual for this to happen..
Taking them apart, replacing the nozzles is common, as long as u have a torque wrench to tighten them back together.
You can google your engine mdl & include the word "injector" or take 1 apart & get the nozzle # off of it & google THAT #.. They are relatively inexpensive to repair/rebuild..

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Have you looked at the air cleaner and secondary element? Usually a diesel smoking can be traced back to a clogged air cleaner.. In my business, I change out air cleaners Primary, every year and check the secondary element and replace that to if it looks at all dirty.

Always do the simple things first....

Kanook

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC Kubota RTV900
Jun 29, 2015
Almonte, Ontario
Have you looked at the air cleaner and secondary element? Usually a diesel smoking can be traced back to a clogged air cleaner.. In my business, I change out air cleaners Primary, every year and check the secondary element and replace that to if it looks at all dirty.

Always do the simple things first....
Had an issue of excessive black smoke on my B2650 while snow blowing. Turned out that the fine snow blow-back from the snowblower was getting sucked into the air intake. Air filter was coated in ice and severely restricting air intake.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check / change air cleaner, and yes then replace the injectors. ;)

Make sure you're running the tractor a PTO speed, 2600 Engine RPM.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks for the good suggestions, folks.

To answer some questions, primary air filter has about 13 hours on it, secondary is unknown, both visually clean of debris. I've looked at the injection pump and see factory grey paint is intact on fasteners, as are the lead seals on the witness wires (sorry, can't remember right now it there is more than one adjustment that's sealed with witness wire). Injectors have factory grey paint on them in pristine condition so I'm thinking they likely have never been touched.

Wolfman - do you have a rough guess on the cost of injectors? I'm assuming these are a dealer-only part?

Oh, good point on RPM... the tractor will make slightly more than PTO RPM (per the mechanical tach in the instrument panel) when unloaded, maybe 2650 or 2700 - the needle sits just on the high side of the PTO hash mark on the tach so I can see the whole hash mark but no black between the needle and the high side of the hash mark. I won't bog it much below about 2400 if I can at all avoid it. My pair of B7510's get operated the same way. The black smoke from the B2410 is considerably greater than the B7510's when operated in this manner.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Had an issue of excessive black smoke on my B2650 while snow blowing. Turned out that the fine snow blow-back from the snowblower was getting sucked into the air intake. Air filter was coated in ice and severely restricting air intake.
Kanook - it would seem we're blowing the same kind of snow as I'm operating this B2410 just down the road from you at the Carp airport. Good to see another "valley" person on this forum!

Kanook

Equipment
Jun 29, 2015
Almonte, Ontario
Kanook - it would seem we're blowing the same kind of snow as I'm operating this B2410 just down the road from you at the Carp airport. Good to see another "valley" person on this forum!

G'day from the 'valley'... I'm closer to Carp than Almonte..(off bearhill rd). Just got back from filling up my diesel can at the Shell station.

NoJacketRequired and ThisIsNotaStep....looks like a busy snow season this year.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My apologies for derailing briefly, but Kanook I made a frontcover using the corner of an old fitted bedsheet, a rubber band to affix it to the hood mascot, and some magnets on the sides. It covered the whole front grill. It kept the snow out of the airfilter on my b2650 much better than any of the other things I had tried. Engine ran a little warmer, but not hot at all. Not stylish but free. Kubota sells one but above $300.

Kanook

Equipment
Jun 29, 2015
Almonte, Ontario
My apologies for derailing briefly, but Kanook I made a frontcover using the corner of an old fitted bedsheet, a rubber band to affix it to the hood mascot, and some magnets on the sides. It covered the whole front grill. It kept the snow out of the airfilter on my b2650 much better than any of the other things I had tried. Engine ran a little warmer, but not hot at all. Not stylish but free. Kubota sells one but above $300.
Thanks for the info.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
We used to use old panty hose over the air cleaner of our blower tractors.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Thanks for the good suggestions, folks.

To answer some questions, primary air filter has about 13 hours on it, secondary is unknown, both visually clean of debris. I've looked at the injection pump and see factory grey paint is intact on fasteners, as are the lead seals on the witness wires (sorry, can't remember right now it there is more than one adjustment that's sealed with witness wire). Injectors have factory grey paint on them in pristine condition so I'm thinking they likely have never been touched.

Wolfman - do you have a rough guess on the cost of injectors? I'm assuming these are a dealer-only part?

Oh, good point on RPM... the tractor will make slightly more than PTO RPM (per the mechanical tach in the instrument panel) when unloaded, maybe 2650 or 2700 - the needle sits just on the high side of the PTO hash mark on the tach so I can see the whole hash mark but no black between the needle and the high side of the hash mark. I won't bog it much below about 2400 if I can at all avoid it. My pair of B7510's get operated the same way. The black smoke from the B2410 is considerably greater than the B7510's when operated in this manner.
I don't know how much black smoke you are getting, but if it's dropping 3-400 rpm, you might just be pushing it a little too much. I have a 2910 that will smoke a little when I push it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't know how much black smoke you are getting, but if it's dropping 3-400 rpm, you might just be pushing it a little too much. I have a 2910 that will smoke a little when I push it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
In this case it's dropping maybe 200-300 RPM, perhaps less, which is pretty common when snowblowing. Even more common if starting out above PTO RPM. I need to get an audio or optical tach to check the accuracy of the dash-mounted tachometers - something tells me they're not a high-accuracy device, so we may be talking "horseshoes and hand grenades" where close is good enough! :D

Was out on the "home tractor" B7510 today blowing some really ugly wet slush. No visible smoke from it except that little puff one always gets on startup. I know it's got to be making some smoke - I just can't see it from the cab.