B2400 suddenly quit running

brodonh

Equipment
B2400
Jan 25, 2023
winchendon MA
Hi All
1st post.
My B2400 has been starting and running well for several years.
It started this AM normally and I was parking it.

I had it running with low rpm almost no throttle and it died.
It will not start. Battery OK, Fuel in tank, Plenty of oil. Tried an extra parallel battery - no go.
Turns over fine.

Could this be fuel pump or fuel filter?

Thanks,
brodonh

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes could be either, I would start with changing the fuel filter.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe you have some jelled fuel. What's your weather been like when it quit? Could have been in a warm area, start, then when moved outside....fuel jells.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe you have some jelled fuel. What's your weather been like when it quit? Could have been in a warm area, start, then when moved outside....fuel jells.
Looking at the weather in the OP's area ( I have a home near there) the weather has only been slightly below freezing occasionally in the past few days, so I would very much doubt jelling to be the issue.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hi All
1st post.
My B2400 has been starting and running well for several years.
It started this AM normally and I was parking it.

I had it running with low rpm almost no throttle and it died.
It will not start. Battery OK, Fuel in tank, Plenty of oil. Tried an extra parallel battery - no go.
Turns over fine.

Could this be fuel pump or fuel filter?

Thanks,
brodonh
If there's a fuel bleeder screw or plug you can crack that and crank the starter and see if you have fuel flowing. That's what I would do. A plugged fuel filter from dirt or organic matter such as algae could be a problem. I had that experience when driving the LMTV 600 miles from Seattle to Kalispell. The engine didn't quit but the loss of power on the hills was significant.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Looks like your tractor also has a dual coil fuel cutoff solenoid.

I did find an electrical diagram somewhere, but cannot figure out how to post the PDF of it, and when I tried to insert the link, it shows up as the download to my computer rather than the link on the web.

Anyway, if your tractor is like my BX with a dual coil solenoid, if you remove the solenoid from the injector pump, and the tractor starts, you will know it is a fuel cut off solenoid issue. To shut off the engine you will have to insert the solenoid back in position though, if you try this. In my case it came off simply by removing two screws.

I started typing this yesterday and got side tracked...hope this is some help to you.

IF anyone knows how to attach a PDF file to a TBN post now please post it.Attaching an Image I understand. Wolfman mentioned in a different thread that the software here was change sometime fairly recently I think...would like to blame the software but realize how strong my inability is sometimes...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I see the OP has not come back yet, so I will add an additional bit of information… the diagram I found shows the layout of the fuel shutoff solenoid for the B 2400 it looks identical to my BX 2200.

The fuel cut off solenoid has two coils. One is energized when you start the tractor at the time the starter motor turns. The other is a energized when you turn the key to the run position. That is the run coil and it’s not strong enough to activate the solenoid. But it is strong enough to hold the solenoid out and let the engine run after it starts.

The start solenoid activates when the starter turns, and it pulls the solenoid plunger out of the injector pump. If the tractor does not start at all, and the issue, and the issue is with the start solenoid circuitry, in that case it is likely the start solenoid has either failed, or the power to it has been interrupted somehow.

If the engine starts when the starter turns, but it immediately stops when you release the key back to the run position, then it’s likely that the circuitry feeding the run coil has been interrupted, or the run coil has failed.

Pulling the fuel cut off solenoid off the injector pump is very simple to do and if the tractor starts then you don’t have to go over the fuel system or other areas to fix the problem. It’s so simple to try. I think I would try that first.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Found how to attach the PDF using my iPad. Darned if I saw it on my workshop PC!

The PDF is several pages and a pretty good explanation of the fuel cut off solenoid operation based on the WSM.

ONE THING IGNORED is how confusing the lines are that are intended to indicate a physical item, like the ignition switch or fuel cutoff solenoid. BUT ESPECIALLY (5) the starter motor. The convention in this country would be a dashed line of some sort, which could not be confused with a wire. The starter motor is especially poorly represented, since those lines also have dots where they cross actual wires, which makes absolutely no sense.

One thing I forgot to mention is if the fuel cutoff solenoid electrical connector only has two wires going into it, you need to ground the solenoid case in order for the starter to be activated. If three wires you may not need to ground the case. By ground I mean short the case to the engine or tractor frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

brodonh

Equipment
B2400
Jan 25, 2023
winchendon MA
Thank you all for the wise council.
I replaced the fuel filter with new and cleaned the holder. You tube video showed air purge method of loosing 2 bolts that were above the holder but, these were not present on mine. I chose to open the valve to the filter and then loosen the filter to let some fuel out around the filter, hoping to purge it that way.
It worked. I had to jump it from my pickup because the battery was getting drained. It coughed and sputtered for a short time but now is running great.
Thanks again,
Donald

Reactions: 1 user