B2150 tach not working

B2150DT

Mar 18, 2014
Rustburg, VA
Today I went to get on the 2150 it started right up and right away I noticed the tach not working. No movement from it at all , everything else is working, fuel gauge, temp gauge ,the start up and glow plug lights are all working properly just no movement from tach . Two days ago I replaced the power wire from starter to battery ,so thinking I may have pulled or loosened some wires or plugs . I rechecked them while I had the dash panel out I checked all the wireing conections I found the fuse end that had two 15 amp fuses in it checked them to find both fuses ok. I rechecked my power wire to starter from battery, everything looks to be in order, Now my question is the tach worked before I replaced the power wire from battery to starter .The only thing that I am not sure of is the black cable running from the back of the dash in the center of the tach and hour meter to something under the hood at the front right side of the engine this cable has screw on ends at both ends , is this for the tach or the hour meter. tractor info is as follows 89 b2150dt 4 cyl diesel, 4 wheel drive , power steering ,and front end loader Thanks for any help

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Today I went to get on the 2150 it started right up and right away I noticed the tach not working. No movement from it at all , everything else is working, fuel gauge, temp gauge ,the start up and glow plug lights are all working properly just no movement from tach . Two days ago I replaced the power wire from starter to battery ,so thinking I may have pulled or loosened some wires or plugs . I rechecked them while I had the dash panel out I checked all the wireing conections I found the fuse end that had two 15 amp fuses in it checked them to find both fuses ok. I rechecked my power wire to starter from battery, everything looks to be in order, Now my question is the tach worked before I replaced the power wire from battery to starter .The only thing that I am not sure of is the black cable running from the back of the dash in the center of the tach and hour meter to something under the hood at the front right side of the engine this cable has screw on ends at both ends , is this for the tach or the hour meter. tractor info is as follows 89 b2150dt 4 cyl diesel, 4 wheel drive , power steering ,and front end loader Thanks for any help
Just checking....how did you check your fuses? Visual or meter? The tach and hour meter are related, so the cable should be spinning inside if you were to unhook it from the back of the dash. Some hours meters are electrical and some mechanical, - not know your specific tractor, i am guessing. BUT if both are not working, meter and tach - check , recheck all cables to each place.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
.The only thing that I am not sure of is the black cable running from the back of the dash in the center of the tach and hour meter to something under the hood at the front right side of the engine this cable has screw on ends at both ends , is this for the tach or the hour meter. tractor info is as follows 89 b2150dt 4 cyl diesel, 4 wheel drive , power steering ,and front end loader Thanks for any help
Yes, this is your tach drive, and also hour meter

IF you yanked on it inadvertently, you may have pulled the rope cable out of the socket of ether end, or, just because it's old and grumpy and you moved it out of position that it had been in for 25 years, the cable broke. the cable is just like a speedo cable on an older car, they wear and fatigue and they also need lube once in a blue moon ( couple drops of motor oil usually works well in the cable housing )

B2150DT

Mar 18, 2014
Rustburg, VA
Blkvoodoo, Thanks, That's what I was thinking it was just not sure . I will check that soon, as you said its old I figure its broken so a new one may be in order. Thanks again

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You may be able to find the end of the cable as it attaches to the engine, down near the fan and injection pump. Unscrew it there and spin the inside cable with your fingers. While spinning have someone check to see if your tach needle moves.

If it's not moving your cable is probably in two pieces. Pull it out of the housing and check it. If you need to lube it use some white lithium grease like you'd use on a fishing reel.