B1750 will not start

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Tractor will not start. B1750HST-D is the model, panel lights do not come on now when key is turned to the first position (run) and when key is turned to the start position, the engine turns over fine. NO smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe. I suspect that a perhaps a switch is not being activated to allow fuel to supply the injectors? A rodent may have chewed through a wire or grounded a wire? or a component has failed. I have no manuals for this tractor as it belongs to a friend, that has no mechanical skills. Thanks for any help

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Tractor will not start. B1750HST-D is the model, panel lights do not come on now when key is turned to the first position (run) and when key is turned to the start position, the engine turns over fine. NO smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe. I suspect that a perhaps a switch is not being activated to allow fuel to supply the injectors? A rodent may have chewed through a wire or grounded a wire? or a component has failed. I have no manuals for this tractor as it belongs to a friend, that has no mechanical skills. Thanks for any help
Verify that the manual shut down control is pushed fully in.

SDT

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Verify that the manual shut down control is pushed fully in.

SDT
Would this be a red (I think as tractor is at my friends house 6 miles away) Knob located on the operators right under the dash. If so this may be what my friend was calling a choke and it she pulled it out That could be what is causing the problem??

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Would this be a red (I think as tractor is at my friends house 6 miles away) Knob located on the operators right under the dash. If so this may be what my friend was calling a choke and it she pulled it out That could be what is causing the problem??
I just remembered I downloaded an Operators Manual for the B1750 earlier and took a look and yes thats the manual shut down control (she had called the choke) I never heard of a choke on a diesel and never used it. Bet when it didn't start right up as it was cold yesterday (tractor sits for months since last started) she pulled the "CHOKE" I sure hope that is it I called her she said she had tried to push it in But is was stuck. I will drive over as time permits and see if it is jambed or bent ?? As not much room in her little shed especially since her tenant moved the mower into that side of tractor to park this motorcycle, Grrrr

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You found your problem.

Yes. It's a red pull/push knob beneath the dash on the right side.

It must be pushed fully in to start the engine. It should only be pulled out if the key switch does not shut down the engine.

SDT

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Anyone with a B1750 or B1550 when you place the key in the run positon (before turning the key to start engine positon) do any of the panel lites come on?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Anyone with a B1750 or B1550 when you place the key in the run positon (before turning the key to start engine positon) do any of the panel lites come on?
Yes.

Start by checking all fuses and connectors.

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That tractor and engine setup does not need electric to run, it's a full mechanical system.
It really doesn't matter what anything else is doing, if it cranks it should run.

Yes you'll need to figure out the electrical as it won't charge and it may not have power to the glow plugs which will make it start very hard but it won't keep it from starting and running.

It doesn't sound like a main because the key cranks it, so it sounds as if something else is going on.

As far as it not starting and running:
Did it get run out of fuel? Air in the injection lines
Does it have the wrong fuel in it? Gasoline versus diesel
Is there any smoke when it cranks? White, black, none
Does it have the proper mixture of Antifreeze? If it in an are that has froze

Last edited:

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
That tractor and engine setup does not need electric to run, it's a full mechanical system.
It really doesn't matter what anything else is doing, if it cranks it should run.

Yes you'll need to figure out the electrical as it won't charge and it may not have power to the glow plugs which will make it start very hard but it won't keep it from starting and running.

It doesn't sound like a main because the key cranks it, so it sounds as if something else is going on.

Did it get run out of fuel? Air in the injection lines
Does it have the wrong fuel in it? Gasoline versus diesel
Is there any smoke when it cranks? White, black, none
Does it have the proper mixture of Antifreeze? If it in an are that has froze
Did it get run out of fuel? Air in the injection lines ? Answer, It shouldn't have as I fill it everytime I finish using it, But I will check it anyway to be sure.

Does it have the wrong fuel in it? Gasoline versus diesel Answer, I only place diesel in it
Is there any smoke when it cranks? White, black, none Answer, No smoke
Does it have the proper mixture of Antifreeze? If it in an are that has froze Answer I don't know about the Anti freeze, I assume it does have or did have. But we are not in a freeze area, Coldest it ever gets here is a light frost, So far this yr coldest it has gotten is maybe 48 degrees. I am thinking that she pulled the choke out (her words) with is in fact the engine emergency fuel cut off switch. Thanks to SDT for pointing this out to me. I hope to run over there today and see it it is the emergency fuel cut off

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's not an emergency fuel cut off, it is THE fuel cut off.

The engine quits running when it no longer has fuel. You have the fuel off and there will be NO smoke because there is NO fuel.

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
It's not an emergency fuel cut off, it is THE fuel cut off.

The engine quits running when it no longer has fuel. You have the fuel off and there will be NO smoke because there is NO fuel.
Yes, You are correct. "The engine quits running when it no longer has fuel" Yes wouldn't it be great if that statement was not true. I would save a lot of $$

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Well I found the problem, I came prepared today, I brought vise grips and a flashlite also many misc tools and a shop lite if I really needed to tear into it as it was parked in a dark shed with no room to even walk around it. I had to stand on a Rotary mower. Anyway popped the hood and to a look the the other end of the Engine stop Knob. It was jambed by large nuts from a nearby tree. My friend needs to get a few barnyard cats. I took a couple pictures before I remove the nuts and started the tractor. Go thing she did not call the dealership as travel time would have been a minimum of 3 hrs round trip. Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
popped the hood and to a look the the other end of the Engine stop Knob. It was jammed by large nuts from a nearby tree.
Well I do believe this is a first... But I have heard of the problem being a loose nut behind the wheel! :rolleyes: :D