B1700 Cold weather problems

harbre32

Dec 2, 2014
Coopersburg
Hey guys brand new to the forum so hopedfully you can help me out.

I within the last year bought a B1700 from my father inlaw 270hrs.

He only used it as a glorified mower. I bought a blade for the back of it and plan to use it for snow removal.

My problem with it is its hard as hell to start if its below 30F. I will cycle the glow plugs for over a minute and crank it for 15-20 seconds with black smoke puffing out the exhaust. After doing this for about 5 times it eventually starts and then runs beautiful. I have checked the glow plugs and they get cherry red. I put new fuel in with stabalizer and changed the filter. Any other ideas from you guys on why its so hard to start? I had B6200 with 2500 hours before this that wasnt this hard to start in the winter.

Also on a side note it does sit in a covered shed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My problem with it is its hard as hell to start if its below 30F.
I would suggest putting a block heater in it, really helps on the start time.

If it runs good with no smoke and no blow by I would say the only other 2 possibilities are valves out of adjustment or weak battery or starter that's not spinning it fast enough.

harbre32

Dec 2, 2014
Coopersburg
Like I mentioned the glow plugs are working correctly. I removed them and bench tested them and also checked they were receiving 12 v from the tractor. I ordered a kubota block heater that installs where the freeze plug is. Let's see how that works out. I just didn't think it would be that tough to start considering my experience with other tractors.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Warm engine makes all the difference. If it doesn't start with a heated engine, and the battery/starter is good it's compression check time.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How cold are you talking about (I know you said below 30, but that could be 25 degrees, or 5)? I've started mine in low single digits with no issue other than the glow plug wait time. You also need the throttle at the right position- too little or too much affects starting (on mine, it does. Get the throttle right, and it starts great).
Slow turn over- a diesel needs rpm's to generate heat from the air compressing, low compression, weak glow plugs, not letting the plugs heat long enough. I believe that in temps below 30, you may have to wait 90 seconds or so.
A block heater does work wonders, but the tractor should start regardless. I myself would rather remedy why it is hard to start, then add the heater to make it easier on the engine.

Last edited:

Highspeed

Equipment
B-series
Jan 27, 2014
mid-Michigan
I have no trouble starting my 17 even below zero, so something is amiss. Even at zero I only need about 15 seconds of glow plug. About a quarter throttle and it roars to life.
These guys will help you figure it out. Good bunch here.
I do keep the tractor in the garage (unheated), but I don't use a block heater.