Auger Trouble

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
There needs to be room to move and it can't be done with the toplink in the lowest hole. The toplink acts as a pivot point and that point on his tractor is too low and not working correctly. If you look at how the lower link is crammed up and tilted outwards you'll see how its not set up rigth and its too tight behind the tracator.

978Peter

Equipment
MX5100, GR2100
Feb 7, 2012
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
I am wondering if you need the larger model 70 from speeco. The geometry from your pictures seem off compared to the installations instructions available from speeco online.

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Just shooting from the hip, but switching the lower link points to attach inboard should result in more height when raised.

-A

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
Thanks for all the advice. I have been out of town and unable to check the posts. I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that the upper center link would have maximum lift if it is in the lower hole verses the upper hole. However, I'll try anything. I called the person I bought the implement from and he stated that they were matching and not a compact model with a larger bit. I called Speeco, but the associate I got was not any help. He stated that Kubota was natorious for issues with lifting, other than that he said he had no other advice.

Just to be clear, the concensus is that I should move the upper center link to the top hole?

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
Bulldog,
Could you explain what you mean about the lower link being too short. Is something wrong with the tractor or the implement?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The horse shoe looking piece that hooks to your 3pt arms is what I was talking about. The distance from the pins to the bottom of the boom doesn't look right to me. On mine the distance from the pins to the boom is 24" and my auger pins to the botton side of the boom instead of going thru it like yours does. I measured mine straight under the boom. Run you a piece of string from pin to pin and measure from the bottom of your boom down to the string. Let us know what yours is.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
It is what it is!
This is another case of a basically full size implement on a less than full size tractor. The only real solution if more clearance is absolutely necessary for that implement is a shorter auger.
Here's why:
1. The arch yoke, for maximum lift, should be adjusted so that it is as near 90 degrees to the lower three point lift arms in the raised position as possible. In the side view pictures it's pretty close. Bulldog is right that a taller arch will increase lift, but it causes another issue for you. More on that in a second.
2. Using the lower hole of the three for the top link (on the tractor) will increase the mechanical advantage of the three point system (in relationship to implement tail end lift height). You've already done that. Moving it to a higher hole will have the effect of lowering the tail end of the implement UNLESS it results in a more square relationship of the arch yoke to the lower three point arms. Even then it may just be a trade-off.
3. Finally, you're probably already exceeding the maximum operating angle for your power shaft. Any arrangement that further increases lift will also increase the angle of the PTO shaft yokes and would likely result in damage, or at least severe vibration. I'd be surprised if it didn't already shake a little in the raised position, and I'll bet when you have it all the way up your safety cover already rubs on the adjoining yoke, doesn't it (it's not really supposed to do that).

I think you've done all you can do for that auger length. Only thing left is to maybe let some air out of the front tires on the tractor.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Is something wrong with the tractor or the implement?
I would like to see how this auger compairs to the measurements on mine. That would maybe give us some idea about what is going on with this auger. My auger works fine on my L 3000 and I know a MX 5100 has more lift height than mine does. My thought is there is something fishy with this auger.

Kubota Newbie may be exactly right. It may be as simple as the implement is to big for the tractor. If you get time compair the measurements I posted from my PHD and see how the 2 of them measure up.

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
I moved the center link to the middle and top holes, the problem got worse. The model number I believe is a 65. I took a few measurements this past Saturday, however like a fool I didn't write them down. I did notice that when I raised the 3ph, it did get very close to binding with the angle of the PTO. Also I noticed that the stabilizing bars on the bottom links actually bind when I raised the 3ph all the way. If ya'll think the 70 model will definately work, I am gonna see if I can trade them out. Bulldog, I do know that from where the upside U attaches to the lower link bolt to bolt in a straight line it is less than 24".

978Peter

Equipment
MX5100, GR2100
Feb 7, 2012
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
If you purchased your phd from a dealer I would inquire whether you could try the model 70 since your model is not working for your tractor. If you are unable to do so, I would contact speeco (www.speeco.com) and inquire regarding the difference between model 65 VS 70. IMHO it looks like your MX5100 lift arms are too long for your phd to fit properly. I have seen a model 70 on an MX5100 and on a New Holland TC30 Tractor. I personally have an MX5100, only 20hrs on it at this point. I traded my L3400 in for it. I will purchase the speeco model 70 sometime this year. However I do not have one yet and therefore can not guarantee that it will work. Again I would check with speeco.

How do you like your tractor?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
After looking on Speeco web site I think they gave you a compact model. I would go where I bought it and do some measuring if it was me.

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
I really love it. Nothing to compare it to, since this is our first tractor. We bought a small farm for hunting so we needed something for plots and general work. I got the HST which is really nice doing bucket work. We have sandy soil so I had the dealership put water(along with something else to prevent freezing) in the tire for more weight to get more traction. Oh, we also had the dealership weld 3 hooks onto the bucket. This really comes in handy when lifting implements and whatever with a chain.

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
Bulldog, thanks. I think I am going to see if they would be willing to trade in for a model 70. I had already called and asked if they sold me a compact model, and they reassured me that it was not. I have my doubts, but maybe I can get the model 70. Thanks!

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
I talked to the dealership, they are willing to let me trade in the 65 for the 70 or the heavy duty. I would be interested in getting the HD to dig larger holes, becuase he told me that the model 70 wouldn't be able to do it. Largest it would go is 12". However all that being said, I would hate to get the HD and have the same issues. It sounds as if the 70 works well with my tractor. Anybody got any thoughts?

I measured the 65 model and here is what I got.
Boom length pin to pin 69"
Lift arm to beam 22"
Top link to first hole 20"

I called Speeco and they had no way of telling me which would fit my tractor the best if any. They gave me some measurements:

Model 70
31 1/4" between lift arms
25 3/4" top link to center adjustable hole

Heavy Duty
32" between lift arms
23.68" lift arm to boom
24 3/4" top link to center adjustable hole

Thanks guys!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Looking at your measurements I believe they gave you a sub compact phd no matter how it's labeled. I consider mine to be a small digger and from pin to pin on the main beam mine is 7" longer. From lift arms to beam is 2" taller and from tractor to first hole is 2" longer.

If the dealer is willing to work with you and you can do it I would take your tractor to the dealer and hook up the PHD that you want and make sure it would fit. If I couldn't take the tractor I would at least take a measuring tape with me and measure the new digger and make sure they give you what you need. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
Alright, I'm not sure what happened with the 65 model, but I traded it in for the heavy duty model. The heavy duty model works perfectly fine with my tractor. So, I guess problom solved. THanks for all your help.