anybody running a "secondary air filter" on their BX?

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I just installed the secondary filter on my BX1880..it is a Factory filter from Messicks..There is a video on their web page showing the filter and installation which took no time at all. Blew out my primary filter per the service instructions, could not believe the dust that came out of it after two mows..

Reactions: 2 users

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
i also saw that video, and have already ordered the safety air filter. Good maintenance is a lot
cheaper that repair maintenance.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Amazon is not promoted by AnyOne as being “cheapest”. They represent/offer a marketplace for many different retailers…each of whom develop their own prices. I’ve seen the identical part from different sellers in the same article listings at Amazon with wide-ranging prices. (Also, the “Amazon Choice” isn’t necessarily the best one either.)

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
i also saw that video, and have already ordered the safety air filter. Good maintenance is a lot
cheaper that repair maintenance.
I have one on hold at my dealership and will be picking it up this week. Of course, I've already done the dusty work this summer, and now it's raining, but at least it will be installed by the time next summer rolls around.

[EDIT]I picked up the secondary air filter today, and a couple of primaries while I was there ... it gets dusty in the summer so I might as well have a couple in my inventory.

Last edited:

SGT13

Equipment
Bx23s, CB05 bucket, GS05 scraper, Shop made ballast, hangers, & anchor pts
Sep 2, 2021
Arizona
Running my BX in the desert and pick up loads of "dust" every day. First time I bumped the filter clean I noticed no secondary. First thought was "No factory secondary?" It's on my list to add now.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
SGT13, I could not believe the amount of crap that came out of the filter after a cut of the lawn. Now every time I use the machine I clean the air filters. The secondary filter is cheap insurance to keep the engine running clean.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I got mine at the local dealership but haven't installed it yet. The parts guy suggested changing it every other change of the primary, but I think that's overkill. My plan is to leave it in place and basically never touch it. If the primary isn't damaged, the secondary is just a backup to prevent anything that might be dislodged when changing the primary. Unlike an oil filter with a bypass valve, it seems to me that a clogged air filter doesn't start leaking, it just doesn't flow, so the secondary should stay almost pristine.

I'm open to a contrary opinion.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I remove both filters and use an air nozzle to blow them out .

SGT13

Equipment
Bx23s, CB05 bucket, GS05 scraper, Shop made ballast, hangers, & anchor pts
Sep 2, 2021
Arizona
I remove both filters and use an air nozzle to blow them out .
Since my operating days in the Marines I have never blown out filters. Always just bump them to knock off loose debris.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I do that before I use the air nozzle.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
This summer I started to clean the air filter but I came to the conclusion that if the filter was so clogged that it was affecting flow, I should just probably just replace it. I didn't have the secondary filter, so any dirt that would get inside the filter during that process would go right into the engine. With a secondary filter in place, I can see myself possibly knocking the dust off, but my bias is to just replace the filter.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'd rather have a washable sock over the primary filter.
Hey! A third option!

Washable sock (wershable in my local SW PA dialect, Hagrid are you an import?), primary filter, and secondary filter.

I am all for it!

Guess after almost 20 years of trouble free operation with just the primary filter I better hurry though...I am getting old...at a faster rate than my BX... :cry:

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I have a washable filter over the stock filter on my d Gravely 12g Rider..

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
My interest in getting the secondary filter is to prevent dirt from entering the engine while maintaining the primary filter. So, if you're replacing the primary filter, and some dirt or dust gets dislodged and lands on inside of where the primary filter is, the secondary will prevent it from being sucked into the engine.

Also, Does the washable sock filter to the same size as the secondary filter? 10 microns seems to be pretty common.

I found an interesting paper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7475895/
I don't have time to read it carefully, but maybe someone else does :)

Traditional cellulose filter media used for air filtration in vehicle engines are characterized by 99.9% filtration efficiency and accuracy above 2–5 µm. The highest engine component wear is caused by dust grains above 1 µm. Filter media with nanofiber additions provide greater filtration efficiency of dust grains below 5 µm.