Any way to add a fuel gauge to B6000E?

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Hello to all. I would love to have a fuel gauge of any kind for this machine if possible. In fear of running out of fuel I tend to open up the tank and check the fuel level all too often. When I do this I know that I'm opening up the possibility to let dirt into the tank and then into the injector pump. And that's what I'm trying to stop doing.

Since there is the filter under the cap in the tank then I don't believe that I could use a gas cap with a gauge built into it.

Is there any way that I could (half way easily) hook up a fuel gauge?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Some of the older lawn mowers have a fuel indicator built into the fuel cap on the tank. You could do a Google search and see if you can locate one that has the same thread pitch and diameter as on your fuel tank.

Another option is to drill and tap the side of the fuel tank, attach a couple pipe thread x nipples, one low and one high on the tank and attach some clear tubing to it for a sight tube.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
On my B7100s I put a sight guage. Install a T fitting just before the fuel filter. Put another T at the top of the tank on the return line. Run a piece of clear fuel line between. Now you can see at an instant the level of fuel in the tank.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Thank you both for the replies and suggestions.

The fuel indicator on the fuel cap is what I spoke of in my initial post but I don't think that will work because of the filter that sits in the fuel tank at the lid. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking it wouldn't work?

I hadn't thought of the sight tube idea. Not picturing it off hand but I can likely find a picture on the internet of what you all are saying to do.

I'll see what I can find. Thank you guys!

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
I added one to my B6000, bought the gauge and fuel sensor from alibabba express. cost me about 20.00, had to drill a hole in top of the gas tank though and mount the sensor. works good when stopped, when driving the needle bounces quite a bit.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Thank you both for the replies and suggestions.

The fuel indicator on the fuel cap is what I spoke of in my initial post but I don't think that will work because of the filter that sits in the fuel tank at the lid. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking it wouldn't work?

I hadn't thought of the sight tube idea. Not picturing it off hand but I can likely find a picture on the internet of what you all are saying to do.

I'll see what I can find. Thank you guys!
Here are some pictures of my set up for fuel gauge. Low Tech but it works good. You can see the fuel level easiest when I have off road fuel with the red dye. Sorry the first picture is of the T before the fuel filter, however is not very clear.

Attachments

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Thank you both for the added replies.

Kubotasam, thank you very much for the pics!! I completely understand now. Yes, I need something like that. Simple but very effective.

Thank you both very much!

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
I found a much easier add-on for my B7100 and that was taking a chance the thread size was the same as my fuel tank. But for $13.00.... I took a shot.
AND Yep it worked. I'm sure this will also work on many other tractors with the same fuel tank.
The only thing I had to do to the gauge was, using a Dremel tool, { SLIGHTLY} hone out the threads on the inside of the cap allowing the gauge to snugly screw onto the fuel tank. It doesn't extend al the way to the bottom but it sure easy to view. It's also kinda like having a small reserve fuel supply...
The only draw back is the strainer has to be removed from the tank. I keep the strainer close by in a zip-lock bag and install it each time I fill the tank. Small price to pay for not running dry, and having to bleed the system to restart.

The photos of the fuel tank "Kubotasam" posted is the same tank as mine and many others.

Below is a copy/paste of the ebay gauge I purchased..

Kelch 7J203108 Kelch Fuel Cap With Guage 8''

Hope this helps others with the fuel level problem. The really great thing about this is YOU DON'T have to adapt the tank and change the clouded sight tube every few years ;)
Total install time about 15 minutes. Happy Happy Happy

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I understand never wanting to run out of fuel. However, a B6000 has a tank capacity of, what 3 1/2 gallons? If you run that engine at rated RPM for an 8 hr. day you won't run out of fuel. How often do you have to top if off if you use it for an hour? About every eighth time.

One way to reduce the stress of running out of fuel is to learn the procedure of bleeding the air out, and knowing you can solve that problem.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
No reason why it would'n work If you can get tank wall clearance, for the float. You'd probably have to drill the opening on the extreme opposite top end from the fuel fill opening. Good Luck

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Would this work?

https://www.jamestowndistributors.c...7107&familyName=Moeller+Mechanical+Fuel+Gauge

There's a "How to install" link located midway down on the left side of that page.
If you will note, there is nothing in the instruction about drilling a hole in the tank, that is because these are meant to be installed in a tank that already has the opening in the tank for the sending unit.
Trying to take a 30+ year old plastic tank and drill a hole in it, then install screws in it is a recipe for disaster, and considering how hard it is to get a tank for these models I wouldn't do it! ;)

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Big Trees....

I'd listen to North Idaho W/M, reason, he's given me great advice several times and always been "spot-on".
I failed to take into consideration the age of that tank.
I had purchased a new tank for my Orange machine, with the idea of doing the same fuel gauge, drilling would be easy on new plastic,...however I found an easier way with the cap gauge. It took me longer to open the box and gather the tools then it took to install it.
Best Of Luck:)

Ps thanks North Idaho Wolf Man, old plastic would be taking a chance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ps thanks North Idaho Wolf Man, old plastic would be taking a chance.
I really wasn't knocking the idea at all, I love the idea, it's just real tricky and risky with these old plastic tanks. ;)
I think the gauge in the cap is a much safer way to go. :cool: