Any downsides to a b2920?

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Looking to buy one, pretty much just to mow.. haha.. I have issues?

Has 600 hours.. asking 15, fel and 60 mmm..

Any known issues?

I really like that it's pre emissions and has the d1305 that I've seen with 10000 plus hours and run perfect. But that's most kubota engines when taken care of.

Looks like a nice clean example but it's 3 hours away so just going by the pictures..

Thanks in advance

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
All the new 26hp models have no emissions controls, despite being "post emissions" - the emissions limits on lower than 26hp tractors aren't onerous. So a B2650 has that same D1305, but detuned slightly to get under the 26HP limit. Still has all the torque though. A B2601 has a smaller engine but also 26hp. An L2501 has more engine (1.6L) and the same power - more torque still. No MMM on an L2501.

Having said all that, a 600 hour B2920 is barely broken in. It's more about condition than hours at that level.

My B2601 in theory mostly mows. But it's amazing what other jobs I have for a tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking to buy one, pretty much just to mow.. haha.. I have issues?

Has 600 hours.. asking 15, fel and 60 mmm..

Any known issues?

I really like that it's pre emissions and has the d1305 that I've seen with 10000 plus hours and run perfect. But that's most kubota engines when taken care of.

Looks like a nice clean example but it's 3 hours away so just going by the pictures..

Thanks in advance

My BIL has one with hoe and FEL.... only problem I would say is ......... he has not let me keep it!!!!!

honestly a great machine all the way around

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have one I bought new at the end of 2012. I have a loader, forks, 60”mmm, backhoe, 60” box blade, 48” brush mower, 63” front mount snowblower. I have 940 hours on it. It’s a great tractor and very versatile. I like mowing with it, it does a great job and is comfortably to run. The only trouble I have had with it was a leaking seal in the front end on one side where it pivots that I had to replace. As long as it has been maintained and not abused, it should be a good tractor to purchase.

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Excellent machine. I now almost wish I would have bought one of those if I knew how far reaching these emission controls were going to get. But I only had so much cash and by buying the B2620 I had enough money left over at the time to buy my box blade and angle blade. And so far my 26 has never run out of power.
But still, if I knew that was the last pre-emission 29 h.p. I would have bought it.

Only thing these tractors lack over the newest series is they have quarter inching instead of position control, and their loaders didn't have skid steer quick attach. But you can work around both.

And the drive over mower decks are sweet. Very easy to take on and off.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think for $15,000 you would be better off buying a newer B2601. The extra horsepower won't be needed for mowing and a newer machine probably means better parts availability say ten years from now. Seals and things deteriorate over time even if not used much. Also, better resale perhaps . Check tractorhouse.com . You can find very low hour ,newer B2601s with the loader ,mower , and the quick attach for around $16,000. Just my opinion . Good luck.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Well the seller offered me 600 for my 3 point mower, saying they take trade ins.. (25% of new price), and is firm at 14900.. the rear 3 point arms looks pretty beat up after looking at the pictures better.. that and I just don't need a loader, especially with a fixed bucket

I did offer them a 10k cash offer plus my 3 point 60 inch finish mower.. they did a hard pass on that.. i was pretty annoyed with the mower offer, may of took it a little personal.. opps

So going to pass on it.. just going to wait for the new bx1880, (quoted 12380.00)or whatever is supposedly going to replace it according to my dealer..

There is a b7300 with just the mower for 5900 with 1100 hours.. but I really don't want a older tractor.. I fix stuff for a living and don't want to fix my own stuff in the years to come..

Attachments

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
From what I see in the pic, it looks in pretty good shape. Other than he has never lubed the balls in the three point lift arms.
But the rest of the tractor looks clean and not beat up.

I can see you passing if you just want a mowing tractor. But looks like it would make a good tractor for someone at that price.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you just want a mower, I'd get a mower. That is to say, you really should get an FEL, otherwise it's not a tractor at all!! Front end loaders are endlessly useful, until you have one you don't know what you're missing out on.

The pin on buckets have a number of quick attach solutions that are quite cost effective in the US (every expensive to import to NZ unfortunately for me), and they rob you of less loader capacity than a SSQA does.

Whilst Neil from Messicks talks a good game about SSQA, the reality is that there are very few general SSQA implements that will actually go on a compact tractor and be useful. Those that are specifically made for a compact tractor of course do, but then you're buying special implements anyway, so may as well have bought pin-on ones.

How much land are you mowing? I ask because the big difference between a BX, a B2601 or a B2920 will be mower deck width. The BX and B2601 have 60" maximum. The B2920 I think could take a 72". But with a 72" you'll want a pretty flat lawn (of course, if you have a FEL you can make your lawn flat).

Having owned a BX and moved to a B2601, and having only about an acre of my own land (but I mow another 3-4 acres of community land once or twice a month), I can say the B2601 is a lot more machine, not much more money, and fits in pretty much every space the BX fit into. I'd buy a second hand B2601 over a new BX, and I'd probably take a newer B2601 over an older B2920. I think all those options sit around a similar price point.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Where is that B2920 for sale? If it was in Canada and you didn't want it, I'd buy it, LOL.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
OK thanks. Not driving down there right now. Can't cross the border now anyway, LOL

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
If you just want a mower, I'd get a mower. That is to say, you really should get an FEL, otherwise it's not a tractor at all!! Front end loaders are endlessly useful, until you have one you don't know what you're missing out on.

The pin on buckets have a number of quick attach solutions that are quite cost effective in the US (every expensive to import to NZ unfortunately for me), and they rob you of less loader capacity than a SSQA does.

Whilst Neil from Messicks talks a good game about SSQA, the reality is that there are very few general SSQA implements that will actually go on a compact tractor and be useful. Those that are specifically made for a compact tractor of course do, but then you're buying special implements anyway, so may as well have bought pin-on ones.

How much land are you mowing? I ask because the big difference between a BX, a B2601 or a B2920 will be mower deck width. The BX and B2601 have 60" maximum. The B2920 I think could take a 72". But with a 72" you'll want a pretty flat lawn (of course, if you have a FEL you can make your lawn flat).

Having owned a BX and moved to a B2601, and having only about an acre of my own land (but I mow another 3-4 acres of community land once or twice a month), I can say the B2601 is a lot more machine, not much more money, and fits in pretty much every space the BX fit into. I'd buy a second hand B2601 over a new BX, and I'd probably take a newer B2601 over an older B2920. I think all those options sit around a similar price point.

I've owned probably 25 tractors.. have 3 here in Florida and a few others that are all 80s and older up north..

Just want to mow, here I have a 36 inch scag zero turn for the nice sod around the house, a craftsman 48 inch for the sloped area around my shop and a l2501 that has the 60 inch finish mower for wide open spots that equal about 2 acres, I mow the grass on the outside if my property, one is 40 by 400, other is 35 by 300.

The issue I'm having with the finish mower is well, we are mostly on sand under the grass.. so when the finish mower wheels rotate it pulls up the grass and I have sand showing, my house is only 2 1/2 years old and was all wooded area before so about an acre of, not including the area by the roads ( corner lot) it is thin grass and weeds..

he area outside my property that is next to the road, that I don't really own? And the city only mows it once every few monts so if I don't mow it, it looks like crap and the weeds take over..

the rest is sod, which I mow with the zero turn or riding lawnmower... I want the 54 inch to replace the riding lawnmower and 3 point finish mower that pulls up the lawn.. I also planted about 40 trees about 6 feet away from my fence so I don't want a mower to wide.