Antifreeze

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If hard water is an issue which l don't believe is a problem. Having spent twenty years in the automotive industry ten of which as a mechanic, no one l knew used water other than what came out of a hose to fill a radiator. If hard water is a concern, use the water out of a dehumidifier. Sane goes for batteries. Tap water out of hose was used to fill batteries. I'm sure it still is on serviceable batteries. Most homes have a softener system anyway. Some have mineral filters too. The issue years ago was the acid from the old anti freeze ate up seals, water pumps, hoses, and radiators, heater core. Re core of radiators was common business back in the day.
Use of hard water is definitely a problem - tons of very real and reliable research to document that.

Here is another clue as to what Kubota is selling. Its a phosphated HOAT - e..g. PHOAT. Its silicate, borate, and nitrite free and very typical of Asian OEMS..

PHOAT — The difference between HOAT and PHOAT is the primary additive component, which uses phosphates rather than silicate. Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, and Nissan typically recommend this type of coolant. Many of the aftermarket coolant manufacturers will specify “For Asian Vehicles” on the container and it is often red or blue in color.

Dan

1658678319700.png

Reactions: 1 user

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Use of hard water is definitely a problem - tons of very real and reliable research to document that.

Here is another clue as to what Kubota is selling. Its a phosphated HOAT - e..g. PHOAT. Its silicate, borate, and nitrite free and very typical of Asian OEMS..

PHOAT — The difference between HOAT and PHOAT is the primary additive component, which uses phosphates rather than silicate. Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, and Nissan typically recommend this type of coolant. Many of the aftermarket coolant manufacturers will specify “For Asian Vehicles” on the container and it is often red or blue in color.

Dan

View attachment 84119
Dan, When I went to my dealership looking for the Kubota anti freeze, I went to the counter told them I wanted a gallon of anti freeze. They handed me Peak extended use 50/50..They said it's what they use in all their machines both new and for service. They have been in business for over thirty years.. They said it's the same stuff as the Kubota branded anti freeze. I don't think Kubota makes it's anti freeze or oils either. They have vendors supply their products with the Kubota label on them.. I don't know who but I think it wouldn't be to hard to find.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Most homes have a softener system anyway.
Which then adds salt. And as a professional tech even WAY back in the 60s we did NOT use tap water for batteries in the shop. We used distilled water only. Yes back then we used tap water BUT it was from Lake Michigan which is naturally a pretty soft water and does not leave deposits and such. Modern engines also are not so tolerant as those of the vehicles I began working on. Going back to model years of late 40s and all the way to then present times. (Yeah I even worked on one Caddy with hydraulic power windows). The safest way to treat the cooling system is use good ol distilled water.
As for the Kubota stuff being a HOAT. Good point. Likely very similar to Toyota pink and Honda blue.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, When I went to my dealership looking for the Kubota anti freeze, I went to the counter told them I wanted a gallon of anti freeze. They handed me Peak extended use 50/50..They said it's what they use in all their machines both new and for service. They have been in business for over thirty years.. They said it's the same stuff as the Kubota branded anti freeze. I don't think Kubota makes it's anti freeze or oils either. They have vendors supply their products with the Kubota label on them.. I don't know who but I think it wouldn't be to hard to find.
I am not advocating for Kubota branded coolant. I was just trying to shed some light on what's in the jug. Any of the extended life formulations are going to be fine. Even if I could find one I would not use an old school IAT coolant in anything I own including the 80 year old Ford tractors.

Dan

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I am not advocating for Kubota branded coolant. I was just trying to shed some light on what's in the jug. Any of the extended life formulations are going to be fine. Even if I could find one I would not use an old school IAT coolant in anything I own including the 80 year old Ford tractors.

Dan
Dan, I agree. I don't even know if the old school coolant is still available. I use water out of our dehumidifier in my radiators and batteries.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
By your statement you've never had the pleasure of cleaning out a cooling system thats full of mineral deposits or having to explain to a customer that his 2 year old radiator is shot because of his poor choice to use his well water and mix his antifreeze instead of buying premixed antifreeze or distilled water.
Haha!!! I grew up on well water. Like I said, I live in the southeast, and, for all intents and purposes, live on a limestone mountain. Filtration and cleaning the water supply has been a way of life, for my own 'filtration system' as well as all of my equipment.
If you have been around long enough, you cannot deny the design of today's radiators (to lower production costs) have made them more susceptible to clogging. Smaller, more dispersed fins, thinner jackets, and plastic make the operational margin of error much slimmer. Naturally, this forces the necessity for good maintenance.
That said, aside from a failure requiring the system to be drained, why would any 2-year old machine need the coolant system drained?

I use 2 of these systems: Rhino Well Water with UV | Aquasana Whole House Filter System One at the house and one at the main barn that is distributed throughout. Both are modified to have dual filters so one can be offline for service without interruption. I am also an EE, so for fun and practical purpose, I have flowmeters on both lines that alert my phone via a self-made app when there is more than a 5 psi drop on the lines.
Your dog won't hunt.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Haha!!! I grew up on well water. Like I said, I live in the southeast, and, for all intents and purposes, live on a limestone mountain. Filtration and cleaning the water supply has been a way of life, for my own 'filtration system' as well as all of my equipment.
If you have been around long enough, you cannot deny the design of today's radiators (to lower production costs) have made them more susceptible to clogging. Smaller, more dispersed fins, thinner jackets, and plastic make the operational margin of error much slimmer. Naturally, this forces the necessity for good maintenance.
That said, aside from a failure requiring the system to be drained, why would any 2-year old machine need the coolant system drained?

I use 2 of these systems: Rhino Well Water with UV | Aquasana Whole House Filter System One at the house and one at the main barn that is distributed throughout. Both are modified to have dual filters so one can be offline for service without interruption. I am also an EE, so for fun and practical purpose, I have flowmeters on both lines that alert my phone via a self-made app when there is more than a 5 psi drop on the lines.
Your dog won't hunt.
EE pay must not be what it used to be. Distilled water costs less than a buck per gallon and it don't need a filter or monitoring system.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

dvcochran

Equipment
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
EE pay must not be what it used to be. Distilled water costs less than a buck per gallon and it don't need a filter or monitoring system.

Dan
Sooo, you buy all bottled water for your home? Drinking, cleaning, washing, animals, etc...? Smart, real smart. Not to mention the plastic waste you are creating. Smart, real smart.

FWIW, I am north of 250k annually, not including bonus which can be another 50k+. Not that it has anything to do with... anything.
EE pay has increased by double digits percentages year over year for over 2 decades. More than that if you are well versed in the control side of things. Not many software guys can say that today. Bots, self-learning software, and cheaper overseas staff has seen to that.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sooo, you buy all bottled water for your home? Drinking, cleaning, washing, animals, etc...? Smart, real smart. Not to mention the plastic waste you are creating. Smart, real smart.

FWIW, I am north of 250k annually, not including bonus which can be another 50k+. Not that it has anything to do with... anything.
EE pay has increased by double digits percentages year over year for over 2 decades. More than that if you are well versed in the control side of things. Not many software guys can say that today. Bots, self-learning software, and cheaper overseas staff has seen to that.
Actually I drink, shower, and wash clothes and dishes with well water. It goes through a $15 paper filter to take the sand out and tastes pretty good. I purchase a couple gallons of distilled water each year for radiators. Glad to hear you are doing well financially.

Dan

Reactions: 3 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Ahhh, a reminder of why the “ignore” button is there.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have never heard of 'special diesel antifreeze'..
and you think that’s a definitive thing, because you’ve never heard of something…do you…?

dvcochran

Equipment
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Actually I drink, shower, and wash clothes and dishes with well water. It goes through a $15 paper filter to take the sand out and tastes pretty good. I purchase a couple gallons of distilled water each year for radiators. Glad to hear you are doing well financially.

Dan
I am glad to hear the water is not so hard up north.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
It was a smart move. Believe me. Now, shootings all over, thefts, car jackings and that's in the GOOD areas! Even here in Cherry Valley.
I had a farm on Cherry Valley Road and Bloods Point. I hope it gets better for you, Stay Safe.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not at all. I was just saying I have never heard of it.
Well, I suggest you investigate the anti-freeze requirements of sleeved-engine diesels if you have any curiosity toward it.

dvcochran

Equipment
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Well, I suggest you investigate the anti-freeze requirements of sleeved-engine diesels if you have any curiosity toward it.
Funny you say that. I asked my BIL who has driven and worked on trucks and equipment all his life. He has small trucking company now. Says all he has ever used in his Freightliners and Peterbuilt's is the green stuff. I know one of his trucks was in the shop last year for a minor overhaul and has over 700k.
I guess it is working just fine.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
well I have seen oil wars.

First time I've seen an antifreeze war.

awesome.

Bicker about anything and everything?

Half the time the bickering ends up confusing the OP, and deviates away from the original subject at hand. Such as (but not limited to) how much one's income is, as if that makes any difference in the subject at hand. I don't care if you're a multi billionaire, if ya ain't got anything better to add to the post, just don't add it.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Use what your owners manual specifies. Cost is minimal because you don’t charge coolant often.