Antifreeze

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Guys, What Antifreeze do you recommend for BX tractor? Is PEAK diesel Final Solution ok ? Does it make a difference what brand ? Thank you.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Check your manual. My L2501 is supposed to use ethylene glycol based antifreeze. I know of no special antifreeze for diesels. I generally use Prestone but have used Peak in the past as well. I don't think brand really matters that much I just have to make sure whatever I use is compatible with ethylene glycol.

Reactions: 3 users

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Check your manual. My L2501 is supposed to use ethylene glycol based antifreeze. I know of no special antifreeze for diesels. I generally use Prestone but have used Peak in the past as well. I don't think brand really matters that much I just have to make sure whatever I use is compatible with ethylene glycol.
Roadworthy, Thank you. I am going to the dealer tomorrow so I will pick up the Kubota antifreeze. I noticed there was a whole thread on antifreeze right after l sent my question..I will stick with the Kubota product as the machine is brand new and don't want to screw up the warranty if something should happen.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Honestly just make sure the antifreeze is good for all makes and models. It will state it on the packaging.

Don't cheap out and get the old school green.

I have multiple brand engines at work and trying to keep up with all of them would be a nightmare.

Oil had to meet the xxx requirement for diesel engines. Antifreeze has a similar requirement.

We purchased a 50 gallon drum of antifreeze that met that spec. If I remember correctly, our bulk supplier at work handles chevron products, and it's made for use in all makes and models. Won't mess up sleeves, can be used in aluminum or steel blocks, ect...

If you ask dealer, they are gonna tell you to use there product. But pretty much across the board, each dealer has similar specs.

It falls back on the manufacturers. They say we have (A), (B), and (C). Which product would you like to use???

Same with sensors, injection pumps, alternators, starters, oil, coolant, ect....

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Honestly just make sure the antifreeze is good for all makes and models. It will state it on the packaging.

Don't cheap out and get the old school green.

I have multiple brand engines at work and trying to keep up with all of them would be a nightmare.

Oil had to meet the xxx requirement for diesel engines. Antifreeze has a similar requirement.

We purchased a 50 gallon drum of antifreeze that met that spec. If I remember correctly, our bulk supplier at work handles chevron products, and it's made for use in all makes and models. Won't mess up sleeves, can be used in aluminum or steel blocks, ect...

If you ask dealer, they are gonna tell you to use there product. But pretty much across the board, each dealer has similar specs.

It falls back on the manufacturers. They say we have (A), (B), and (C). Which product would you like to use???

Same with sensors, injection pumps, alternators, starters, oil, coolant, ect....
The owners manual says to use ethylene glycol (old school green). Why wouldn’t you use that? No need to buy a universal coolant if you are buying for a specific use. Yes, universal would be worthwhile in a service shop when you work on many different makes and models

Reactions: 1 users

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
The owners manual says to use ethylene glycol (old school green). Why wouldn’t you use that? No need to buy a universal coolant if you are buying for a specific use. Yes, universal would be worthwhile in a service shop when you work on many different makes and models
Thanks guys, l only have to add a little bit to the overflow tank. Being a new machine l do not want to do anything that the dealer can say it voided the warranty. It is not like I will be doing a full. flush and fill with new fluid.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Universal works when you have multiple vehicles and equipment. I've pretty much changed everything i own over to a universal elc. This includes the tractors, trucks and cars. Honestly having to have separate formulations for stuff ranging from the 70's to 2000's is a pain. One that covers them all makes life much easier.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I doubt it makes much difference. I bought the Kubota antifreeze for it and have the manufacturer's ones for each of the cars.

Could not get in touch with Central Maine Diesel when I did the 10 year coolant change on the Isuzu and know of no Isuzu dealers. So, I used a leftover, unused, Coolgard II gallon from the JD. Pisses me off that it is only supposed to be 6 year coolant. Everything else seems to be 10 year now. Unless you have a head gasket leak, what's to affect it?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Universal would be worth it in your own garage as well. Unless you want three different jugs of antifreeze hanging out in your garage. I sure wouldn't put that old school green in your newer vehicle.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
FWIW all antifreeze (except the non toxic type) is made of ethylene glycol as the base. It varies from there whether it's formulated as HOAT, OAT what have you. When I flushed and changed mine last year I still had a gallon of Mopar green (left over from days my late friend and I had our shop). But, also I would never put Universal in my current cars (Toyotas 11 Highlander and 20 RAV 4 Hybrid) which take a special formulation that is pink. I am sure Universal would "work" after a fashion but I would not trust it for long. I would be doing full drain fills every year. Also on my cars I simply take them to the dealer for that service now. A while back I did a flush and refill on a different Toyota I had. Tried to be a good environmental steward and recycle it. Well what a fiasco. I searched all over the Rockford IL metro for someone to take it. All I got was "nope". After a long time of looking I finally found a repair center who would take it, reluctantly. But, only because I know the general manager of the chain and asked him. It's just easier to take it in. As for the tractor I hate to admit it but because it's such a small amount I just drop it on the driveway and flush it down well. (I can't drive the tractor to the dealer) :D

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
FWIW all antifreeze (except the non toxic type) is made of ethylene glycol as the base. It varies from there whether it's formulated as HOAT, OAT what have you. When I flushed and changed mine last year I still had a gallon of Mopar green (left over from days my late friend and I had our shop). But, also I would never put Universal in my current cars (Toyotas 11 Highlander and 20 RAV 4 Hybrid) which take a special formulation that is pink. I am sure Universal would "work" after a fashion but I would not trust it for long. I would be doing full drain fills every year. Also on my cars I simply take them to the dealer for that service now. A while back I did a flush and refill on a different Toyota I had. Tried to be a good environmental steward and recycle it. Well what a fiasco. I searched all over the Rockford IL metro for someone to take it. All I got was "nope". After a long time of looking I finally found a repair center who would take it, reluctantly. But, only because I know the general manager of the chain and asked him. It's just easier to take it in. As for the tractor I hate to admit it but because it's such a small amount I just drop it on the driveway and flush it down well. (I can't drive the tractor to the dealer) :D
LMichael, I have a friend who owns his own auto service center..He is a awesome mechanic. He takes all the old fluids for me. I can remember when I was a kid in the sixties using old motor oil to kill off weeds. Same with old gas. That was probably not good but neither is pesticides or herbicides or old tires and lithium batteries. My neighbor spread something on his wooded area, must of been agent orange, it killed everything.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Roadworthy, Thank you. I am going to the dealer tomorrow so I will pick up the Kubota antifreeze. I noticed there was a whole thread on antifreeze right after l sent my question..I will stick with the Kubota product as the machine is brand new and don't want to screw up the warranty if something should happen.

As long as you use the correct type of antifreeze you will not void your warranty. There is ZERO reason to pay for the Kubota name on your jug of antifreeze.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I am just getting ready to take delivery of my first Kubota powered product, a F2690 mower. Does Kubota require the addition of the diesel coolant supplement like Deere does if you aren't using Deere or equivalent "Cool-Guard" in order to prevent liner/cooling jacket erosion?

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I am just getting ready to take delivery of my first Kubota powered product, a F2690 mower. Does Kubota require the addition of the diesel coolant supplement like Deere does if you aren't using Deere or equivalent "Cool-Guard" in order to prevent liner/cooling jacket erosion?
Mark_BX25D, l understand. I am going to the dealership this afternoon anyway something I ordered came in. The price difference isn't that much from the local auto parts store.. But I appreciate your feedback.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I can't answer your question about kubotas. But deere antifreeze is manufactured by someone else. There will be a rating on the deere antifreeze jug that says (meets xyz requirements).

You can use any replacement antifreeze if it meets those requirements in a Deere without worry or voiding any warranties.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Thanks!

With Deere they specify adding the diesel cooling supplement if it doesn't have it already. So generic coolant is fine as long as you also use the supplement.

Some diesel engine designs were very prone to cavitation with resulting pinhole leaks, I believe the early IH produced 6.9 used in a lot of Ford pickups had that problem if the proper antifreeze wasn't used.

With the Deere supplement, it doesn't take much and test strips are used to indicate the level. A quart bottle lasts at least 5 years for my compact with its 1.4L Yanmar produced engine.

I haven't seen anything in the Kubota manual about requiring it and their coolant brochure doesn't directly address it.

Rodger

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Guys, What Antifreeze do you recommend for BX tractor? Is PEAK diesel Final Solution ok ? Does it make a difference what brand ? Thank you.
Hello TheMurf,

There is an extensive post on this subject. Do a search for July4, 2021, under Antifreeze. In that post I provided the MSDS sheet for Kubota Antifreeze, and the name of the company that makes it. Might be worth taking a look.

Good luck, and welcome!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Toyota pink antifreeze is a "super long life antifreeze" which is a p-oat chemistry. There are quite a few other manufacturers that make the same antifreeze. mazda for example claims it is backwards compatible with the old green standby, but not to mix it as it turns the coolant black. There are also several Universal coolants that meet the specificatiin of the Toyota coolant. First one off the top of my mind is zerex.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Toyota pink antifreeze is a "super long life antifreeze" which is a p-oat chemistry. There are quite a few other manufacturers that make the same antifreeze. mazda for example claims it is backwards compatible with the old green standby, but not to mix it as it turns the coolant black. There are also several Universal coolants that meet the specificatiin of the Toyota coolant. First one off the top of my mind is zerex.
Hello Dieseldonato,

In the post that I referred to above, I made note of the fact that Kubota antifreeze is a clear liquid, to which a coloring agent is added. I would just comment that specifications are what is important, rather than a color (as you alluded to).