antifreeze in oil on my l245dt

almondjoy1955

Mar 8, 2012
Au Gres Michigan
I bought this tractor at an online auction. I changed all the oils and filters and am totally a rookie when it comes to diesels and kubotas. I love the tractor and have been doing a lot of work on it. Mostly tires, filters oils etc. I have not used the tractor one time yet. I have ran it off and on for a total of about 1 hour but thats about it. I noticed that i had a lot of moisture in the valve cover area when replacing the oil. The oil pan is split in half because of the drive shaft. I did not realize that both sides hold oil, thus when i changed my oil i loosened one plug and immediatly noticed antifreeze leaking out. The other plug started right out with dirty oil thus i thought one side was for coolant,duh!. To make a long story short it appears i am getting coolant into the oil. Where do i go from here? I have a parts manual and an I.T. shop manual. I had the valve cover off once just to free up the decompression mechanism about a week ago. When i start the motor i get a shot of water that blows out of the exhaust weep hole at the bottom elbow. I am waiting to get a torque wrench i ordered before i start any serious engine work. The radiator holds pressure good because i last started it days ago and today when i took the cap loose it was still pressurised. Today i was going to replace the fan blade with a new one. I removed the oil pan plug that i thought was antifeeze plug and after about 2 ounces of antifreeze came oil. Now i have a problem. I love the tractor. I plan on fixing it. Any help would be appreciated. I will try to keep updates posted as i proceed. I am hoping for the best.Thanks.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I'm with Vic, you need a head gasket.
Not an expensive part, not a tough job.

I don't mean to laught at you but 2 plugs, 1 for antif-freeze...
Ha!

almondjoy1955

Mar 8, 2012
Au Gres Michigan
The exhaust is white. I'll check with the dealership to get gaskets after i confirm the problem. Thanks for the help. Hopefully i will be able to get it done within a week or so depending on how long it takes to get the parts. She is a beauty and i hope for the best.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I just recently completed a bunch of work on my L245DT, including the head gasket. It was not to bad a job, and I'm a novice in this area as well. Get yourself the shop manual, and parts manual if you can, as they will be a big help. When you take your head off just take it to a machinist sol assembled. They'll take it apart and check your valves, reset them and tell you if they can be machined our need replacing. Post some pics of your job and I'm sure others will chime in with help. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

almondjoy1955

Mar 8, 2012
Au Gres Michigan
I have the I.T. shop manual and a fair amount of information on doing the job. My head gasket and small o-ring will be here wed. I have pics in my profile of the job. I haven't found another way yet of posting pics. Thanks for replying and takin the time.

oms

Equipment
grevely
Apr 9, 2012
pasadena,texas,
hi their,i am experiencing this same thing,i already took the head off,and will like to know whats the part number for the head gasket and seal....:confused:

almondjoy1955

Mar 8, 2012
Au Gres Michigan
The part number for the gasket is 15321-03310. You need to make sure to see if you have any shims also,if you do the part # is 15321-03320. I didn't have any shims in mine but the job wasn't bad at all.I was a bit leary of adjusting the valves but it was not bad either.

Mr. Duck

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 9, 2021
I bought this tractor at an online auction. I changed all the oils and filters and am totally a rookie when it comes to diesels and kubotas. I love the tractor and have been doing a lot of work on it. Mostly tires, filters oils etc. I have not used the tractor one time yet. I have ran it off and on for a total of about 1 hour but thats about it. I noticed that i had a lot of moisture in the valve cover area when replacing the oil. The oil pan is split in half because of the drive shaft. I did not realize that both sides hold oil, thus when i changed my oil i loosened one plug and immediatly noticed antifreeze leaking out. The other plug started right out with dirty oil thus i thought one side was for coolant,duh!. To make a long story short it appears i am getting coolant into the oil. Where do i go from here? I have a parts manual and an I.T. shop manual. I had the valve cover off once just to free up the decompression mechanism about a week ago. When i start the motor i get a shot of water that blows out of the exhaust weep hole at the bottom elbow. I am waiting to get a torque wrench i ordered before i start any serious engine work. The radiator holds pressure good because i last started it days ago and today when i took the cap loose it was still pressurised. Today i was going to replace the fan blade with a new one. I removed the oil pan plug that i thought was antifeeze plug and after about 2 ounces of antifreeze came oil. Now i have a problem. I love the tractor. I plan on fixing it. Any help would be appreciated. I will try to keep updates posted as i proceed. I am hoping for the best.Thanks.
I have the exact problem on the exact L245DT, have you gotten any solutions for the situation so far?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Hello, Mr. Duck!

I applaud your use of the search function. This thread is 10 years old and you risk being charged with necromancy.

Best thing would be to start a new thread with all of your particulars.

Bon chance!!

Mr. Duck

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 9, 2021
Remove the rad cap and turn the tractor on. If coolant bubbles up from the rad cap, your head gasket is “gone” and needs replacing.
Thanks but I have done this and even pressurized the system to no avail , end result no bubbles and no loss of pressure the other way. I have rebuilt the engine, new sleeves, decked the block and head, rebuilt the head, all new bearings seals and still water in the oil. I am so very confused at this point.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks but I have done this and even pressurized the system to no avail , end result no bubbles and no loss of pressure the other way. I have rebuilt the engine, new sleeves, decked the block and head, rebuilt the head, all new bearings seals and still water in the oil. I am so very confused at this point.
Did you have the head checked for cracks?
There is only a few ways for water to get into the oil, cracked head (common), cracked block (very very rare), leaking head gasket, leaking freeze plugs, leaking gear case cover (very common).

The fact that your saying your not getting any indication of a leak with pressure testing the radiator makes me think you have a heat related leak.
I'm swinging to a cracked head or leaking head gasket.

Mr. Duck

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 9, 2021
There is only a few ways for water to get into the oil, cracked head (common), cracked block (very very rare), leaking head gasket, leaking freeze plugs, leaking gear case cover (very common).

The fact that your saying your not getting any indication of a leak with pressure testing the radiator makes me think you have a heat related leak.
I had the block and head magna-fluxed, I also replaced the freeze plug behind the timing cover. The only thing I can think of that could be a wild card is I purchased my gasket set from Kumar Brothers, and they have been known to me and other for selling you a set with incorrect gaskets in it. That being said it did look to be correct to me.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

This is something I would have never guessed. How does a leaking freeze plug get coolant into the oil?

Just looking to increase my understanding, as I always though freeze plugs were in the block between the internal coolant path and the outside air...Is there a freeze plug in the head, under the valve cover? No clue but curious...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is something I would have never guessed. How does a leaking freeze plug get coolant into the oil?

Just looking to increase my understanding, as I always though freeze plugs were in the block between the internal coolant path and the outside air...Is there a freeze plug in the head, under the valve cover? No clue but curious...
There are 2 on most of these engines,
#1 is in the top of the head and under the valve cover (not common)
#2 is behind the gear case on the front of the engine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had the block and head magna-fluxed, I also replaced the freeze plug behind the timing cover. The only thing I can think of that could be a wild card is I purchased my gasket set from Kumar Brothers, and they have been known to me and other for selling you a set with incorrect gaskets in it. That being said it did look to be correct to me.
Wrong gasket can be one issue, the other is the 4 O-rings on the case cover.