Anti virus software

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ok guys. I've been a long time user of Kaspersky antivirus. My software renews through best buy. Got a notice from best buy the other day stating they are no longer in a partnership with Kaspersky and offer me a free year of Trend Micro anti virus software whom I never heard of.

Checked out the reviews of the company, and they aren't on my list to use even if they are free :rolleyes:

Any way, what are you folks using for virus software?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Since Win10 came out, I no longer run any anti-virus other than Windows Defender. I also run Firefox with NoScript.
I have not had a single problem in since back (2013) when I ran Norton, AdAware and a few others and I still got a few bugs.

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Linux only. Google Chrome for a browser. A lot of folks don't like linux, but I absolutely
won't put up with anything else. I was a professor of computer science for thirty years,
and I have too many horror stories about other operating systems.

Linux is not for everyone, though my 94 year old mother never had a problem
with it before she passed. All she did was surf the net, read email, and keep accounts.
She also wrote two books.

Mother was a pistol, I guess.

Good luck! I agree that Kaspersky is probably not a product that I would recommend
given the current state of affairs.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Like Buffalo, I don't run Windows myself. I'm a FreeBSD (Unix like) user and have been since it first came out. Before that I ran Coherent (Unix clone).

My wife runs Window 7 and AVG (free version) and it seems to work.

I also run a proxy server with a black list of bad sites and a white list of user agent string of programs (Firefox, wget, etc.) that can get though the proxy. Everything else is block by the firewall.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Been using Avast (free version) for years. No problems.
I too have been using Avast "free version" for many years.

BTW: The reason some companies are divesting themselves from Kaspersky is because is originates from Russia. Although there is no evidence that Kaspersky has any problems.... the Mainstream-Media have made such a fuss over Russia that Kaspersky is losing business.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I was not impressed with Kaspersky, had it lock one computer up so tight, had to start from scratch. On another computer, got a virus soon after I installed it. Had many recommend Avast, been using the free version for years, no problems

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve used AVG for quite a while. I think I have the paid version now, but it’s okay versus what I was paying for Norton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
malware bytes and bit defender total security here. works well.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have FF on Windows 7. Have used ESET for years without a bit of trouble.

It flashes a warning sometimes, and sometimes blocks me from proceeding further. Kinda like my mother!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I run Kaspersky on several different computer system networks that I manage.
I wouldn't use anything else, And yes I heard all the B.S. over they are spying, simply not true, anybody with advanced computer skills can figure that out.

I have dealt with the aftermath of Ransomware (Nasty and devastating) Spyware, Spamware, Malware, Hackerware, and a whole list of simple to complex Viruses, walking right past Norton, McAfee, AVG, Trend Micro, and a bunch of other protection programs.

The last system that I worked on that got ransomware cost the company a $43K bill to recover from and they lost over $100K in business from being shutdown, that was with a paid Antivirus program, that with the ransomware running was saying nothing was wrong and no files were contaminated or compromised.

Think of it as insurance for your information.
Not worth skimping on protection. ;)

And FYI: I've gotten Emails from several members in the past that have viruses (and other things) attached to them, and several have posted links with virus (and other things) in them, my system usually picks it up way before it becomes an issue.

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Even with Virus scanning software, the best thing that you can do is back up your data and store it on some kind of off line storage.

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
I have been running Webroot since about 2010 or 2011. I had been running Norton and whatever windows had. Got a virus and neither could fix it. Went and bought Webroot as a save my butt plan and it cleaned it right up. Haven't changed since. The price has gone up, but I get 5 devices(includes computers, smartphones, tablets, etc). You can get cheaper and cover fewer devices, but I have 2 computers(a windows laptop and a Mac), an iPhone and an iPad. So far, it has done great and will alert me to anything that tries to harm my electronics. The Mac does pretty good by itself, but it's nice knowing that I have extra security. Their team is pretty good about staying up to date on current viruses and "infections" and update the software as often as needed. It also scans websites you visit(it even checks websites in a search engine) and will let you know of any problems reported with them.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have been running AVG for years and I run CC Cleaner often, keeps leftover stuff to a minimum. In the old days I was on top of all this stuff but since I left the corp world things have passed me by, lol. I have a Seagate external hard drive that I use for backup every few months.