Another general tractor question

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
I have a 70 hp case IH 695 and I think it needs a new radiator. I was looking at the radiator and there is another heat exchanger right in front of the radiator. It is an old tractor. It might have had a cab on it at one time. Is it likely that this heat exchanger is some type of oil cooler (trans fluid?) or is it for a long defunct A/C unit.

The tractor is MFWD.

Sorry to bother again for a non orange question. I am trying to post at a different board but so far have been unsuccessful, so I was hoping for some learned advice here.

Phil

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If the front cooler is disconnected, then it's removable. If it is still connected, follow the lines to see where they go. If to the trans, then it's likely an oil cooler and likely required. If they dead end into gas style fittings it's for an AC unit and removable if it no longer has the cab or the AC compressor.

It's all about if it is connected or not.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I have a 70 hp case IH 695 and I think it needs a new radiator. I was looking at the radiator and there is another heat exchanger right in front of the radiator. It is an old tractor. It might have had a cab on it at one time. Is it likely that this heat exchanger is some type of oil cooler (trans fluid?) or is it for a long defunct A/C unit.

The tractor is MFWD.

Sorry to bother again for a non orange question. I am trying to post at a different board but so far have been unsuccessful, so I was hoping for some learned advice here.

Phil
What makes you think that you need a new rad? Too many leaks or are you having overheating issues?

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Thanks Shaun.

Yeah I was being lazy and hoping for a short cut. That tractor has a big loader on it and I think the hood is a bolt on unit. So getting a look at stuff is a little challenging. And it is cold in my pole barn. I will drop the loader off of it tonight so I can get a little closer to the area and then follow the lines and see where they lead.

I am kind of hoping it is an A/C compressor so I can remove it and maybe the radiator isn't bad just not getting enough air. But I suspect it is an oil cooler. The transmission on this thing also gets hot. They are probably both old and clogged and need replacement.

Happiness is a warm tractor but not when it overheats.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Perhaps there is debris trapped between cooler and rad, if its a challenge to get under the hood then it may be prone to neglect.the rad isleaking on my 1952 cockshutt, pulling loader is a huge job, so i add when i need tractor. One day i am going to attack it-especially now that i have my kubota to help with chores.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Wonder if the thermostat is stuck. All we had was IH tractors and overheating was never a issue. The cooling system on the old iron is so much better than what the new tractors have it has to be something simple causing it to run hot.

What kind of trans fluid are you using. We used IH hytran in ours and never had any issues there either.

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Well, I got motivated. took off the loader... not exactly like the information I found on line... but I got through it. Then I took off the hood. 10 bolts not real user friendly. I separated the oil cooler from the radiator... 3 wing nuts why did I never do that before? and this is what I found:
[/URL][/IMG]

Probably a big part of my issue. But I pulled the radiator and the oil cooler and the radiator is in for a re-core. Oil cooler for some reconditioning and then I will keep this area a little cleaner and see what happens.

Thanks for the support. I need to report to someone or I never get around to doing this stuff.

Perhaps there is debris trapped between cooler and rad, if its a challenge to get under the hood then it may be prone to neglect.the rad isleaking on my 1952 cockshutt, pulling loader is a huge job, so i add when i need tractor. One day i am going to attack it-especially now that i have my kubota to help with chores.

Last edited:

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Wonder if the thermostat is stuck. All we had was IH tractors and overheating was never a issue. The cooling system on the old iron is so much better than what the new tractors have it has to be something simple causing it to run hot.

What kind of trans fluid are you using. We used IH hytran in ours and never had any issues there either.
I think I will replace the thermostat too. Also, I am running whatever tractor fluid they sell at Tractor supply. Do you think the IH hytran will run better?

Thanks again.

Phil

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
El Yuk-o! Wow, no wonder you were having the overheat problems.

Yeah, I'd put a pre-screen on that puppy while I had it apart.

Oil coolers don't usually plug up with corrosion like the water coolers do. They may need flushing though due to varnish and particles in them but generally they don't develop the same kinds of leaks and such, so yeah, flush cooler and change out thermostats. Flushing the engine water and oil systems wouldn't be a bad idea either although, sometimes our old tractors are held together by all that gunk and we remove it and they start falling apart! :D

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
ACK! Looks a good cleaning would be the first thing!

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan

Oil coolers don't usually plug up with corrosion like the water coolers do. They may need flushing though due to varnish and particles in them but generally they don't develop the same kinds of leaks and such, so yeah, flush cooler and change out thermostats. Flushing the engine water and oil systems wouldn't be a bad idea either although, sometimes our old tractors are held together by all that gunk and we remove it and they start falling apart! :D
lol. Yeah pretty bad! The inside of the radiator was pretty calcium-ed up too.

(edited to remove my double post)

Last edited:

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan

What kind of materials would you use as a pre- screen? It isn't set up for one now. Unfortunately my pre-screen was the space between the oil cooler and the radiator. I actually blew that out and washed that out as best I could a number of times. Now I know the oil cooler is easy to remove it will be an easier job to keep clean. I am sure that was a large part of my problem. It won't hurt to put a fresh radiator in it either.

She should be ready to run strong this year. If I get the cooling problem fixed it may be my tiller tractor.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Believe it or not, you can just measure the size of your radiator and have a hardware store make a 'window screen' to that size. How you mount the screen in front of the radiator is where it gets creative.

The L3200 I have just has rails it slides into and little springs that flip out of the way to pull out the screen. You can remove it from either side.

If you don't want to do this with your old unit (or can't), then you can direct attach to the radiator with wire ties, or wire. You could also fab up a system to tie the screen behind the front intake section of the tractor, maybe on hinges or something you can pull back and brush off.

Some guys have found furnace filters that fit and bungee cord them inside the front intake area. The crappy cheap 'fiber' filters actually work best if the boards are to be believed. Those are like $.75 a pop on sale.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think I will replace the thermostat too. Also, I am running whatever tractor fluid they sell at Tractor supply. Do you think the IH hytran will run better?

Thanks again.

Phil
Without going to synthetic lubricants, the IH hytran is about the best you can buy. I use the stuff from TSC in my trackhoe just because it has a few leaks. The fluid performance really sux but it's cheap. If your 695 is in any kind of shape at all you will be able to tell a huge difference with Hytran.

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Without going to synthetic lubricants, the IH hytran is about the best you can buy. I use the stuff from TSC in my trackhoe just because it has a few leaks. The fluid performance really sux but it's cheap. If your 695 is in any kind of shape at all you will be able to tell a huge difference with Hytran.
I will try the Hy Tran since I am in maintenance catch up mode on this tractor. This is a gear drive tractor but the entire system and hydraulics are all fed from the same transmission reservoir. The TSC stuff says it is rated for Deere Kabota Case etc. But if there is a difference I will try it. That tranny on this one runs hot (probably cause no air was going through that area). I am going to have to find the manual for that thing.

Those filter tips are good. I might go with some furnace filter material. That hood goes half way down the radiator so there appears to be no good slide in capability.

Hopefully, this will all help a lot. She is an old tractor with a lotta hours but it has been a good one for the 12K investment 9 years ago.

Still learning about this one. I rely more on other tractors for the day to day stuff this was more the occassional land clearing and brush hogging tractor.

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
So on this repair of the 695, I had the radiator re-cored... (they kind of botched the resoldering so the mounts were off and I had to recut the hole through the hood to get it back on the cold night of final assembly).

I put in a first generic thermostat that said it would fit a IH/case 695. The thing ran intermittently hot with that one (deeper than the original). I ordered a new thermostat (which matched the original thermostat part number exactly). Apparently this was a German engine and a thermostat for it was priced accordingly at about $40 (made me miss my BMW but not in a good way). BUT, after that the tractor stays below middle on the green at full load full throttle!!! Such a happy day.

I bought the Case fluid and changed out the fluid and the Hydraulic filter looked like it needed a change so that was good.

She is a happy red tractor and ready for the Spring now. Next on the list is a tachometer cable as that tach on that one has never run. But that never mattered much for brush hog and loader work.

I also upgraded it to a Cat 2 hydraulic top link.

The radiator tilt is not good but working. If I knew a new radiator would have fit that one (they were all kind of generic looking so I wasn't sure if everything would line up). I will try a new on in the future since nothing was lined up very well when my local guys did the re-core. That was really a pain and disappointing.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Phil,

Glad you got her back working like she should be.

The before pic of your "custom" radiator filter was pretty funny. It's a good lesson for us all.

More pics would be nice. We aren't only into orange here.

Nice work!

Steve

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
One idea for filtering (if you have access for frequent checking/cleaning)..

At hardware stores they have the green horse hair filters. You might be able to just jam one in between the rad and the forward bulkhead enough to filter out most of that stuff. They are easy to cut to fit and come in 3/4" 36x24 sizes. They'll suck from the side if one face gets clogged up.

Congrats and good luck.

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
I still have to prefilter it. I was so happy to see it in the green. I think maybe the horsehair between the two would be a good way to go. There are some sides which enclose that area. I am pretty sure I kept them but now can't find them. I was thinking of velcroing a prefilter on... but not sure how that would hold up.

I can take more pictures and post.

One of my other projects on this one is to try and loosen up the draft arm extensions on the three point. They are there but completely locked up with dirt. I have been pouring penetrant oil on them but nothing is loosened up yet. Would heating them hurt the temper of the steel?

Any ideas on that would be appreciated. I have a few scenarios involving a pipe and a sledgehammer or maybe a come along to put some tension on it and a hammer.

Amazing how much nicer Big red is to me now that it is running again!

Thank you again for the help and support.

philztoy

Equipment
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Here are some pictures of the area in question:

This shows the metal I nibbled out of the hood. Pretty sure it is an out of true recore issue. I could have installed it off. but the mounts for the radiator were 1/2 " off the mounting locations when I got the radiator back:
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the prefilter area. No room for a slide in. The oil cooler makes a step to the radiator maybe wrapping it with some spun type filter cloth connected on with velcro or soemthing? Let me know what you think.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]