Another argument for ROPs plus seatbelt use

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Don't know if these zero turn mowers are outfitted with ROPs or not, but if yours is, consider using them and the seatbelt. Thinking maybe his chest would not have been crushed if the ROPS held. Not sure if this is same accident, but a tractor/mower was found upside down by a UPS driver also this weekend, please be careful guys. My old Ingersoll doesn't have ROPS and I occasionally think how much it would hurt to have some part of it on top of me..:eek:

https://articles.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/06/victim_killed_in_lawnmower_acc.amp

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not sure about the Deere mowers. But my Kubota does, and my neighbors bad boy has one as well. I mentioned to my neighbor that he should wear his seat belt with the rops.

He thanked me for that suggestion after he slid it into the ditch in front of his house. His wife had heard me make the suggestion and pitched a fit with him till he wore it. Rops caught the side of the ditch instead of pinning him. Seat belt kept him in his seat so he didn't get hurt real bad. Just bruised some.

He's in his mid 70's so he's old school when it comes to most things. He's a firm believer in that seat belt now.

Quite a few of the lower end zero turn mowers sold at the big box stores do not have a rops on them.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was running a cheap belt drive rider yesterday mowing a small slope and it decided in a split second to roll back and flip over on top of me., not what I call fun!
Pure luck of soft ground and strong legs as I had it right on top of me, had to look pretty messed up!
Presence of mind said keep the spinning blades away from me! :eek:
My back hurts a little, feels like I was kicked in the kidneys! :(

That mower is going in the junk pile! :mad:

Now I really need to find a better mower. ;)
An HST would not have done what that POS did as they don't free wheel when you stop.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow, scary! Glad to hear it wasn't worse!

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
i think all of them for sale now have ROPS. But like tractors they are all fold over or removed.

The issue with a zero turn is that because its so small and light, when they hit a branch or objecct above and forget about the ROPS it will cause the zero turn to go backwards. :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
i think all of them for sale now have ROPS. But like tractors they are all fold over or removed.

The issue with a zero turn is that because its so small and light, when they hit a branch or objecct above and forget about the ROPS it will cause the zero turn to go backwards. :eek:
Was at one of the local big box stores today. Only zero turns sold with a rops there were the Husqvarna's.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Interesting Daren,, I guess there are pros and cons. Maybe something in front like a bike flag to remind folks of the height of the ROPS. When I was pulling my flail offset and didn't want to catch the skids in the woven wire fence, I taped a stick to the bucket to remind me how far it stuck out.