Annoying pop up

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Just started, today, was wondering if it's just me, or what. Pops up lower right side of screen in some sections...:confused:

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Been getting quite a few, even had some middle of the page that moved with you, as you scrolled up or down, The only way I could get away from it was close the thread or move to another, Sometimes I just log off, It seems the longer I'm browsing the worst it get's..:mad:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I was getting something last couple days, changed some settings in my phone and its gone. Was something from a gaming site. Very annoying, pretty much locked up my browser while i was on the site.i tossed my cookies and is good since.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
The 'blame' for pop-ups rests on OTT; to subsidize the cost of providing the forum, "they" get advertisers to pony up filthy lucre to put messages in front of us that will prompt us to hemorrhage even more filthy lucre to them than we've already invested in our Orange Darlings.

Some pop-ups are pretty well-behaved (appearing in the lower-right corner is pretty polite) and some can be offensive or problematic. For the annoying ones, let the Moderator(s) know; with enough complaints, that advertiser will be dropped (I know it happens; I have seen it done with an advertiser that had collected several complaints).

One thing to consider: pop-ups are offspring of your browser. If your OS permits, upgrade your browser to one that provides more defenses against ads and malware. (The two I regard most highly are Chrome and Firefox; FF was too much like IE, so I went with Chrome. Each has some features that are a bit better than the other's, but both are excellent.)

It's up to you to configure the browser, and add components to it to reduce and eliminate malware and intrusive tracking and advertising. However, there is a lot of help available for doing it if you aren't adept at stuff like that. (I'm the proof of that!)

One more thing to consider: phones have tiny displays and aren't designed to display Web pages to their full potential, if you use your phone to participate in OTT, you really, really, need an app like Ghostery to control the intrusions.

A final note: if you experience an intrusion that is so annoying that you have to vent in the forum, please, please, give the specifics of your platform (phone, tablet, PC); OS; browser; and any add-ons you use to protect against ads, tracking, etc.

Some help is available. Yet whenever venturing into the Internet, it's Dante's Inferno quote: "All hope abandon, ye who enter here"

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
After reading ShaunBlake's post I looked for extensions for Chrome. I added one called AdBlock and it has wiped out all the ads. You can configure how it handles the ads and what it blocks. Its free, but they have a message asking you to pay what you think its worth.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After reading ShaunBlake's post I looked for extensions for Chrome. I added one called AdBlock and it has wiped out all the ads. You can configure how it handles the ads and what it blocks. Its free, but they have a message asking you to pay what you think its worth.
since using adblock or adblock plus - and CHROME - i dont see annnnnnny pop ups or adds ..........anywhere !!!! here - youtube..............

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
THANKS!
Problem solved, And loads a lot faster..

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well, I'm missing something because I use FF and have AdBlock Plus working and I still get blasted with pop ups. Just now went to the You Tube by olthumpa and then went to another about getting rid of moles....Comes on telling me about a movie, I think.

I had to go back to OTT, then another thread to get it to quit.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Well, I'm missing something because I use FF and have AdBlock ...
D2, I don't use FF, and I realize it is very different than Chrome; however, it may have a feature for disabling pop-ups. I had to find and disable that in Chrome to get AdBlocker to do what I wanted.

I just had an experience in DIYChatroom with a pop-up darting up and down the screen of my tablet, trying to be available right under my finger (and blocking exactly what I was trying to read); I share your pain and impatience with the nasty bugger's!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Shaun, you mention. "it may have a feature for disabling pop-ups..."

The feature I use is go to some other forum for a while.

Sometimes music or talking come on with nothing else. I have no way of seeing where it is coming from or where/how to shut it off. Couple of times it did that my volume was high, pretty late at night and it gave me the heebe-jeebies!!!!

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Ok this sounds like a horrible experience - certainly one we do not want to have visitors subjected to. I'll follow up with the ad vendor and get this corrected. Sorry folks. :(

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Wow, D2, you got the Big Orange himself to take charge of your issue! You rok, dewd! I gotta see 'bout adding yew ta mah buddy list, see if that power rub off on me!:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I'm thankful it's being looked at. The first time it happened my volume was low and I heard this background noise, figured it was something on in the other room. Never did show a picture of anything.

Latter something came on again and there is no place to control anything. It's just in your face.